Anyone start with ATS then move to real trucking?

geebee75

Anyone start with ATS then move to real trucking?

#1 Post by geebee75 » 17 May 2021 19:20

Has anyone here started with no experience besides ATS, did tons of time in ATS then move into real trucking? If so has anyone bothered to video log the experience?

I'm considering doing just that, however not in Canada where I'm from I'd have to get a southern US company before I bother.
flight50

Re: Anyone start with ATS then move to real trucking?

#2 Post by flight50 » 19 May 2021 15:48

There are several that have done this. You can look in the off topic stories here on the forum. ETS2 is the same way as there is a section there too I think. I know @bobgrey1997 is the most recent one that I am aware of. Every now and then, SCS will do a "real life inspiration" blogs and recognize those people. If I loose my day job due to the economy, that's my fall back to go get my CDL. I have experience with moving them and docking them though. I just never applied for a CDL as I was only on the company lot working with them.
GinXeng

#3 Post by GinXeng » 20 May 2021 03:24

I became a truck driver because my father was one, that's what got me into these trucking games in the first place. I wouldn't have bothered with these games if there wasn't an interest in them.
Skoot

#4 Post by Skoot » 27 May 2021 11:34

geebee75 wrote: 17 May 2021 19:20 Has anyone here started with no experience besides ATS, did tons of time in ATS then move into real trucking?
That's my life plan. 8-)
Freeze338

#5 Post by Freeze338 » 27 May 2021 17:36

I know a guy who become truck driver after playing ETS2.

Not gonna lie I've grown up with SCS games. Started with 18 Wheels of Steel Across America in 2004. I was 10 in that year. Played the truck games that SCS released followed by years. Don't like the European series that much but with ATS I start to play again. I'm production engineer currently but I still wanna be a truck driver.

If I have guts, I would quit my job and be a truck driver. It's pretty hard and stressful job tbh but still one side of me says that. So I think whoever touched SCS games would have think about being an irl truck driver.
flight50

#6 Post by flight50 » 27 May 2021 22:25

^Lol. I'm in the same boat. I'm a wanna be truck driver myself. I do have experience behind the wheel working for a company that serviced small stores. I loaded and docked trucks for Coremark International and for Coca Cola in Ft. Worth, Tx back in the day over the course of 3 years. My day job pays the bills as the starting salary for a driver is almost half my current salary so I can't afford it. Becoming a trucker is a wish but its not feasible for me with a family. Being a driver is the last resort for me. If the economy tanks and I can't fine employment quickly, CDL here I come.
poozykrem

#7 Post by poozykrem » 28 May 2021 23:54

I would have liked to be an actual truck driver ever since my childhood, but my parents led me into the university
So now i would call trucking a "Hobby you can experience in game", not going to go IRL Trucking (At least not in the country i'm currently located in)
But if i find a big luck some day and escape over the pond to the States, i might give IRL trucking a try!
UPD: Oooo it's my 1000th post, yay!
flyboy463

#8 Post by flyboy463 » 04 Jun 2021 20:23

Me and a buddy of mine have. He saw me playing ets2 one day, said it looked boring as hell. Told him to just give it a chance, he fell in love with it. ATS came out and we couldn't stop playing it on the weekends. Couple months later he got his class A and worked for pumpkin for a bit, he drives bottle now. I got my class A about a year after him, but I mostly do local dump work.
EllieODaire

#9 Post by EllieODaire » 05 Jun 2021 01:52

I did this. ATS came out in Feb 2016 and by the end of March I was in Missoula MT getting my CDL and knowing the base concepts of how to back a trailer already (mostly thanks to ETS2 rather than ATS) gave me a huge leg up going through the training.
geebee75

#10 Post by geebee75 » 05 Jun 2021 03:46

flyboy463 wrote: 04 Jun 2021 20:23 Me and a buddy of mine have. He saw me playing ets2 one day, said it looked boring as hell. Told him to just give it a chance, he fell in love with it. ATS came out and we couldn't stop playing it on the weekends. Couple months later he got his class A and worked for pumpkin for a bit, he drives bottle now. I got my class A about a year after him, but I mostly do local dump work.
That's awesome, good for both you guys - pumpkins and bottles and all!

Return to “General discussion about the game”