Split shifts: What they are, how the game messes them up, and how to make them right

flyboy463

Re: Split shifts: What they are, how the game messes them up, and how to make them right

#11 Post by flyboy463 » 16 Jun 2021 03:23

@Kracken243 I believe you're setting up your shifter wrong. When you're assigning the shift buttons in the options, you need to use the gear it's asking for. So when the game wants to know what reverse is, don't use the 10 speed's reverse gate, which is the first gear slot on the shifter (you know, left and up), use the g29's reverse slot. When the game wants to know what first gear is, put the shifter in first, and so on for the rest. Assuming you already selected the 10 speed layout in the options, the gears will be correct.
Grizzly

Re: Split shifts: What they are, how the game messes them up, and how to make them right

#12 Post by Grizzly » 16 Jun 2021 07:42

I use Eaton layouts and Reverse is not assigned to anything in the control settings, just positions 1 to 6:
Plus range and splitter, works for Eaton 13 and 18 speed layout but not sure for 10.
Kracken243

#13 Post by Kracken243 » 16 Jun 2021 16:18

flyboy463 and Grizzly, thanks so much for responding, I'm new to the game but am actually preparing to take a cdl course and have a couple of months before there is an open slot so I bought the shifter to get some muscle memory going for the EF 10 speed transmission which the trucks at the school have. So, trying to get the exact layout of that shift pattern exact is what I'm shooting for. If I'm understanding what you said, then trying to map the reverse to the upper left of the shifter 6 slot pattern is not doable without grinding into the config code? is this correct? if so I'll bite the bullet and get into the .sii files ... I was a coder by trade ...but trying desperately to avoid it! :).
I will try what you said and see how close that is to what I need. Thanks again
Grizzly

#14 Post by Grizzly » 16 Jun 2021 22:36

@Kracken243 There is an EF 10 speed layout in the control options so if you set it up as I say above and choose that layout then reverse should be in the "1" position. Shouldn't need to get into config files.
flyboy463

#15 Post by flyboy463 » 17 Jun 2021 01:03

@Kracken243 there's no need to do any coding for what you're doing. All you need to do is go into the options here

[ external image ]

and set your shifter buttons to their names in game. Where it says shifter position 1: you'd click the box to change the keybind, then slide your physical shifter into slot 1. Do the rest for 2 through 6. Once that's done, above those is the shifter layout, click the box and select the 10 speeds option. That'll make the layout exactly like a 10 speed. If you set the gear positions to the 10 speed positions and then select the 10 speed layout, the game will assume your buttons are set to their standard values (shifter position 1 = 1st on the physical shifter) and re-re-arrange the gears, that's why you're getting reverse when you put the physical shifter into slot 2. The game THINKS 2nd on the physical shifter is 1st, since you told the game 2nd on the shifter is 1st gear, and 1st on the 10 speed layout is reverse. This is why the game just wants the default values for the shift positions, the layout option "rearranges" them to match the real life physical layout of whatever layout you selected. Otherwise, every time you wanted to switch layouts, you'd have to rebind all your shift positions everytime.
AussieTrekkie

#16 Post by AussieTrekkie » 07 Sep 2021 09:02

I am currently using a thrustmaster set up with steering wheel, 3 pedals and 8 position gear stick.

I just got a truck gear stick mod for my thrustmaster gear stick which has a switch at the front and a switch on the side. What are the 2 switches for and how do I set them up and use them?

Currently I have the contols set up as Range-splitter does this need to be changed? Some trucks I drive have 13 gears and others have 18.

Will your changes in the first post make what I have more realistic?
Next my controls.sii file is in my Steam profiles folder but I have 6 of them:

steam_profiles
steam_profiles(1.41.1.8s)bak
steam_profiles(1.41.1.10s)bak
steam_profiles(1.41.1.35s)bak
steam_profiles(1.41.1.55s)bak
steam_profiles(1.41.1.60s)bak

Which folder do I change the controls.sii file in?
Thanks for any help since I'm not understanding how to do this just yet.

Return to “General discussion about the game”