Developer Console Usage for Travel

IDMooseMan

Developer Console Usage for Travel

#1 Post by IDMooseMan » 07 Jun 2021 22:43

I have difficulty using the Developer Console (DevCon) for travel to certain cities with two-word names. For example, in Idaho, we have "Idaho Falls" and "Twin Falls". If I type "goto Idaho Falls" in the DevCon, I get an error. If I type "goto Falls" in the DevCon, I go to Twin Falls.

How do I use the DevCon properly to distinguish between the two-word city name that I want to travel to?
Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
SSgt, USAF, 1983 - 1992, 63170
To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
WoT Profile
Steam Profile
jarryed

Re: Developer Console Usage for Travel

#2 Post by jarryed » 07 Jun 2021 22:54

goto Idaho_Falls
goto Twin_Falls
You can never make a miserable person who complains about everything happy. They live by "If I can't be happy then no one can be happy."
supersobes
Global moderator

#3 Post by supersobes » 07 Jun 2021 23:54

You can also just type "goto idaho" as there is no other city in the game with "Idaho" in its name.
Bedavd

#4 Post by Bedavd » 08 Jun 2021 04:08

You will also need to do this if you're going to a city that has a name twin elsewhere on the map. "goto carlsbad" will take you to Carlsbad, California. You have to type "goto carlsbad_nm" to go to Carlsbad, NM.

Something nice, though, is for the two-named cities you can type in the second name, so you don't need to write out the full names. Since there are so many San XXX cities, you can just type "goto francisco" or "goto cruces" and it'll take you to San Francisco or Las Cruces, respectively.
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
IDMooseMan

#5 Post by IDMooseMan » 08 Jun 2021 06:24

Thank you for the replies. I figured out using the second name of the two-named cities, but did not think of using the underscore for two-word city names and name-twins in other states. That information is very helpful.
Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
SSgt, USAF, 1983 - 1992, 63170
To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
WoT Profile
Steam Profile
nautofon

#6 Post by nautofon » 08 Jun 2021 13:35

Is there a list of these city names somewhere on the web?

I know they're easy to extract from the game files if you happen to run Windows. But a web-accessible list might be helpful.

Also, goto accepts coordinates as input (like the ones you post in bug reports). Is there any information known at all about the coordinate reference system in use here?

I mean, I expect they're simply projected coordinates in map scale on the CONUS LCC that I think is used by SCS, but I figure it might be helpful to have a map showing the coordinate grid.
For driving without GPS navigation:  ATS Company/Facility Directory — C/FD
Josh0

#7 Post by Josh0 » 09 Jun 2021 17:01

nautofon wrote: 08 Jun 2021 13:35 Is there a list of these city names somewhere on the web?
Truck Simulator Wiki has cities listed for each state.
nautofon wrote: 08 Jun 2021 13:35 Also, goto accepts coordinates as input (like the ones you post in bug reports). Is there any information known at all about the coordinate reference system in use here?

I mean, I expect they're simply projected coordinates in map scale on the CONUS LCC that I think is used by SCS, but I figure it might be helpful to have a map showing the coordinate grid.
There isn't a direct correlation between real world coordinates and game location coordinates. The game coordinates system is measured in meters, with the center point (0,0,0) about in the center of the USA. But remember that the game is 1:20 scale. The coordinates often seen in bug reports is: (sector);x;z;y;a;b
  • X = East-West direction
  • Y = North-South direction
  • Z = height (0 doesn't necessarily mean sea-level)
  • a;b = camera rotation and pitch angle
  • Sector = The map is divided into 4km x 4km squares (measured in game units, so real-world size of a sector would be about 80km x 80km).
nautofon

#8 Post by nautofon » 09 Jun 2021 19:55

Josh0 wrote: 09 Jun 2021 17:01 Truck Simulator Wiki has cities listed for each state.
Thanks, I'm aware of those lists. But they don't show the "console name" to be used with the goto command, which is under discussion in this thread. These names might be a nice addition to the wiki though.

There are lists of these names (with coordinates) here, but they're incomplete and a bit cumbersome to use.
Josh0 wrote: 09 Jun 2021 17:01 Sector = The map is divided into 4km x 4km squares (measured in game units, ...
Ah, thanks; that's useful info.
Max
SCS Software

#9 Post by Max » 10 Jun 2021 05:52

"goto" command can search lot of things. eg also by hexadecimal UID (seen in editor and some error messages).

but for the cities there are two basic targets to find - one is token of the city (name of the unit in city def file) and second is original untranslated name string.
search works in two passes, first checking only the exact match (to be able to find tokens like "carlsbad_nm" reliably) and if no exact match is found it checks partial match (we use this most of the time). as it returns first match it less reliable. if you enter A you definitely get some city which name contains A letter, but i can't say which one. search is deterministic basically, but adding and removing data might change order of checking.
all letters are low-cased so command argument with upper case letter can match tokens and low-cased argument also matches names.
theoreticaly you can also enter two word names in quotation marks, it should accept the whole string as command argument. like goto "idaho falls" should match the city name exaclty and goto "ho fal" partially (but i never tried actually :)).
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
nautofon

#10 Post by nautofon » 10 Jun 2021 14:52

The partial search also matches mid-word? Ooh, I see. So that's why goto sf goes to BakerSField. Gotcha. :)

As for goto "ho fal"—yep, that does go to Idaho Falls. Very cool, thanks!

Knowing this, I suppose adding the token to each of the city pages in the wiki isn't really necessary.

Return to “General discussion about the game”