Railroad Crossings are not fun

Tristman

Re: Railroad Crossings are not fun

#11 Post by Tristman » 15 Jul 2021 22:55

supersobes wrote: 15 Jul 2021 22:06 While I agree that there is little to no warning before the gates go down (in real-life the lights and bells are active for at least 5 to 10 seconds before the gates go down), I also think part of the problem is that the game allows players to drive fast over grade crossings. In real-life, you wouldn't be able to drive 50 MPH over most grade crossings without wrecking your truck's suspension and/or damaging the cargo. I think it would be a nice thing for ATS if the grade crossing were made a little more rough to sort of force the player to slow down. Right now, there're so smooth that you can barely feel it. It's not only the rails themselves, but also the elevation difference. Many railroads are built at a slightly higher elevation than the road, so grade crossings are sort of like a speed bump where you go up, cross the tracks, and come back down again.
I second this, I think railroad crossings add a lot to the realism of the game, and making them rougher to force you to slow down even when there is no train approaching would be a major improvement.
ghensley

#12 Post by ghensley » 15 Jul 2021 23:48

I wouldn’t have a problem with rougher crossing to slow you down, but are they going to notify us of a crossing in time to slow down? And how about the in town crossing where the arms activate when you are slowly crossing? The arms come down the moment the sound starts while you are on the tracks. IRL the arms would bounce back up but these just wreck you. So I’m in favor of real life speeds, but that doesn’t fix the unrealistic no warning and damage to the truck.
parasaurolophus67

#13 Post by parasaurolophus67 » 16 Jul 2021 00:05

I dont really have problems with crossings. If anything It usually starts going down when I arrive. Now If I was at the crossing and it started I ether would keep going or just stop. I do pick keep going and sometimes I'm able to go through and sometimes stop for little to no damage. Tho I don't really speed up often when it starts flashing lights. All in all I don't really have much of a problem with them.
miata54

#14 Post by miata54 » 23 Jul 2021 17:55

supersobes wrote: 15 Jul 2021 22:06 While I agree that there is little to no warning before the gates go down (in real-life the lights and bells are active for at least 5 to 10 seconds before the gates go down), I also think part of the problem is that the game allows players to drive fast over grade crossings. In real-life, you wouldn't be able to drive 50 MPH over most grade crossings without wrecking your truck's suspension and/or damaging the cargo. I think it would be a nice thing for ATS if the grade crossing were made a little more rough to sort of force the player to slow down. Right now, there're so smooth that you can barely feel it. It's not only the rails themselves, but also the elevation difference. Many railroads are built at a slightly higher elevation than the road, so grade crossings are sort of like a speed bump where you go up, cross the tracks, and come back down again.
I would also like to add that while parking a load at a terminal that has a nearby train track, there are far to many trains that pass by in a short period of time and they are very short in length as well. Train company's make their money with long haul consists. Just a point of reality.
big_carrot

#15 Post by big_carrot » 23 Jul 2021 19:40

I also have this issue. It doesn't seem to be a problem in newer areas of the map, or in ETS2 for that matter. I slow right down before crossing - when I was learning the rules of driving in the US, I had a little look at the California CDL handbook and it looks like this is expected of you IRL(?)
nater6540

#16 Post by nater6540 » 02 Aug 2021 02:52

Yep, got held up at the crossing once, got past it, and then got stopped at another one right outside the entrance to my delivery point:

Return to “General discussion about the game”