Need a Pedals Alternative for Handicapped Grl

Mommys Lil Annabel

Need a Pedals Alternative for Handicapped Grl

#1 Post by Mommys Lil Annabel » 24 Jul 2021 14:11

Hello, I apologize if I’m not posting this in the right section I wasn’t sure where I needed to post it. I’m wanting to find an alternative for traditional pedals so I can do a shifter and steering wheel set up. But because of an injury I can’t control my body from the hips down. So traditional pedals won’t work for me. I was almost wondering if I could get some like throttle quadrants like for a flight simulator to work for a gas pedal and brake, but I’m not sure what to do for a clutch. Does my idea have any merit doing hand controls for the throttle and braking purposes. Also if anyone has a recommendation on something I can do for a clutch, I would greatly appreciate it. As this was my dream job in real life, but obviously I’ll never be able to do it.

Thanks Everyone in Advance
JeeF

Re: Need a Pedals Alternative for Handicapped Grl

#2 Post by JeeF » 30 Jul 2021 05:10

That will be a bit of a challenge... it would mean using 2 hands to:

1) Steer
2) Signal
3) Look left-right
4) change diff-lock
5) Operating park brake
6) wipers
7) Lights
8) attaching trailers
9) changing gears
10) accel
11) braking
12) clutch

And I might be forgetting a few.

It would be a lot easier if you wanted to drive an automatic gearbox, but if you are asking for ideas for clutch, I'm assuming you don't want automatic. Respect for that, automatic are for sissies. ;P
It would help a bit to get some sort of head-tracking like track-ir do you don't have to control the camera with your hands.
Then you'd need some sort of joystick for throttle and braking, or a throttle quadrant like you said.
But keep in mind sometimes you need to brake kinda fast to avoid an accident, so a lever for accel and another for brake wouldn't work, you need 50-100%+ = accel, 0-50% = brake. I think you can calibrate it that way in game.
Some steering wheels have a small joystick already build-in, but that wouldn't give you much throttle control. I find myself using a lot of cruise control, clicking a few notches up or down to accel/brake.

Since you need all control in your hands, you might really benefit from something like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Logitech-Farm-Veh ... B07QZVT1DJ

For clutch, you can use something from that box, OR you could use the paddle shifter from your G27/G29, or whatever wheel you have.
Personally I use my paddles as indicator left/right, but considering we use the clutch far more often than indicators, it might be more useful as such.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." - Plato
Outlaw Transport

#3 Post by Outlaw Transport » 30 Jul 2021 07:21

The game mechanics for floating gears actually isn't bad so you only really need to use a clutch when you come to a full stop. A set of flight sim-type hand operated throttles, a button box, wheel and an SKRS shifter and you'd have a pretty sweet hands-only setup.
Bandit & The Snowman

#4 Post by Bandit & The Snowman » 30 Jul 2021 08:52

I’ve been thinking about your situation for some time as well. Some of the functions in JeeF’s list are minor as you can always spare a hand for a moment and some are only used while standing, but the basic problems remain.

If you don’t have a wheel yet, you might consider a game pad like the XBox One game controller. It has two joysticks and two analog triggers (that I use for throttle and brake). It’s easier to use it with an automatic gearbox, but maybe you can find a setup that uses one of the axes as a clutch.

Some quite expensive racing wheels have a clutch paddle, e.g. like real Formula 1 cars. Then you’d still have to find something for throttle and brake, maybe you can strap a game controller somewhere — but see above.

Using a throttle quadrant does have some appeal — at first glance. There are several setups, from two (HOTAS too) up to four levers. The downside is the levers don’t have a spring, so you have to fiddle with rubber bands or something. And all of this with one hand as the other is busy steering. You might even be better off using simple triple pedals with your hand. :?

Finally, there is a dedicated forum section for steering devices etc. in the ETS2 sub forum. It is read by a lot more people so you may even encounter others that have the same needs as you. Look here: viewforum.php?f=107
nautofon

#5 Post by nautofon » 30 Jul 2021 12:38

For what little it's worth, I drive in the game with mouse and keyboard (automatic transmission) and don't like having to hold down W, so I use the cruise control almost the entire time I'm at or above 20 mph. I actually wish it would engage at 1 mph (wonder if there's a mod for that). This makes controlling the throttle much easier for me physically. Realistic? Certainly not, but it's what works for me. Your mileage may vary (and does, most likely, both figuratively and literally :)).

My understanding is there are several different real-life solutions that enable people with varying kinds of physical challenges to drive a passenger car. This video youtu.be/AO66KltOLZA by the U.S. National Center on Health, Physical Activity and Disability (NCHPAD) discusses a few topics around that. Perhaps one such real-life solution could be adapted for the simulator as well?
For driving without GPS navigation:  ATS Company/Facility Directory — C/FD
plykkegaard

#6 Post by plykkegaard » 30 Jul 2021 13:07

Visit some of the racing simulation forums you might have better luck to find custom solutions
Keyboard + mouse works well I've been using for years but it is very far from a true driving experience

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Mommys Lil Annabel

#7 Post by Mommys Lil Annabel » 02 Aug 2021 14:01

I actually been looking at several different and planed devices from eye or head tracking with button box as well as paddle shifters. Currently use a Xbox one controller, but have debated a Xbox series x/s controller to start. I use cruise slot as well.

Here’s a list of items im looking at, any recommendations is greatly appreciated.

Tobii Gaming > Eye Tracker 5
A.S.P. | Evol PC Gaming > Heavy Hauler
Thrustmaster > TS-XW Servo Base With a Thrustmaster > Ferrari 250 GTO Wheel
Thrustmaster > TH8A Shifter
Thrustmaster > TSS Handbrake Sparco Mod
Thrustmaster > TSS Handbrake Sparco Mod+
Thrustmaster > T3PA PRO Pedals
Thrustmaster > TCA Quadrant Airbus Edition
JeeF

#8 Post by JeeF » 02 Aug 2021 20:16

Don't see any bad choices in there :)
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." - Plato
Shiva

#9 Post by Shiva » 03 Aug 2021 14:46

Sorry that I did not answer in the previous thread.
Back then I tried to find newer versions of this Thrustmaster wheel, but failed. https://www.thrustmaster.com/products/r ... ch-edition these were released about 10 years ago, or even more.
It has 4 paddles, two of wich could be used for brake and acceleration. the other 2 regular paddles for gear up/down.
NTM's B-Double Telescopic Skeletal Container Carrier. Youtube video on how it works. W & S thread.
B-Double trailer and short modes: EN 7.82 swap body, 20’ or 30’ containers.
Standalone 40' mode: EN 7.82 swap body, 20', 30', 40' or 2 x 20' trailer.
Mommys Lil Annabel

#10 Post by Mommys Lil Annabel » 25 Sep 2021 15:18

Wish Fanatec still offered there no dd cluvbsport Wheel base and universal hub

Return to “General discussion about the game”