Louisiana Discussion Thread

angrybirdseller

Re: Louisiana Discussion Thread

#61 Post by angrybirdseller » 18 Sep 2021 05:14

Trakaplex wrote: 15 Sep 2021 00:34 Pavel promised the developer jump will be efficient after Texas, so the Northeast could be by 2030 tbh, but it is hella dense though. Afraid of it in 1:20.

In Louisiana, it is not as bad, as a drive from Baton to Lafayette is only merely an hour. However in 1:20, that would only be three minutes. My suggestion off I-49 could have exits in Shreveport (I-20), Stonewall, US-84, Natchitoches (LA-6), Alexandria (US-165), and Opelousas (US-190), and I-10.
There is going to be delays and map will take till 2032 as employees quit and have to train new ones and people 2030 is too Optimistic time frame

There nothing efficient in building road real life or sitting on computer screen and doing it. Further east the road network more complicated to scale, so Louisiana will take more planning than South Dakota would. New Orleans have tons more roads to eliminate from consideration than Souix Falls to use at 1:20 scale. Assets will be less recyclable in New Orleans than Souix Falls.

Art asset requirements will be far more work for New Orleans than Soiux Falls.

New Orleans take as long as Portland to build same with Shreveport and Baton Rouge.

By 2026 may 3/5 to 2/3 the map
could be completed. Only one mappers per sector.
Sora

#62 Post by Sora » 19 Sep 2021 03:10

Tristam-94 wrote: 14 Sep 2021 20:32 I can't tell if the strategy above will result in awkward interstate gaps
There will probably be some amount of awkward gaps no matter what, but because the Interstate network is much denser in the east, they should mostly become less problematic. There probably won't be as many "big holes", either, since the terrain is mostly nicer... outside of the Great Lakes. Which do present an interesting issue (Ontario is theoretically the most efficient connection between Michigan and New York), but only mildly so (as, if New York is on the map, we're like one DLC from finishing the US anyway.)

I feel like the most likely "problem" Interstates will be:
  • Interstate 55 (Arkansas and Missouri will probably come before Mississippi and Tennessee)
  • Interstate 29 (the main route between Kansas City / Overland Park and Omaha, but it requires Iowa and Missouri)
  • Interstates 49 and 69 (which have big, awkward gaps in real life; this makes them more authentic)
  • Interstate 64 (if Virginia is done before West Virginia, which is possible)
  • Interstate 70 (as Pennsylvania will most likely be done after Maryland)
  • Interstate 90, again (almost inevitable, as Wisconsin pretty much needs to be done after Illinois and Minnesota)
As long as SCS generally moves from southwest to northeast in a remotely sensible path, I don't see many others that are likely to be problems.

Of these, the worst are probably I-70 and I-29. US 250 is a functional detour for the former (and it will be short-lived in any case, as having both Maryland and Ohio pretty much means Pennsylvania must be next), but I don't really know what the solution is for I-29 outside of either "run US 75 right next to I-29 for a fairly long time" or "do Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, and Iowa consecutively." Probably the former.
flight50

#63 Post by flight50 » 19 Sep 2021 07:06

I pretty much agree with Sora. No matter what, we could get gaps to a degree. But like Sora said, the density of the East won't matter. I do think I-55 will be the first somewhat hurdle but not really. I-55 from New Orleans to US-49 to I-40 to I-55 again thru Arkansas to St. Louis. This can work until Tennessee comes. Its not that bad of a detour. Its a 785 miles (1,263km) with 11 hr 26 mins of travel.

Thru Memphis when Tennessee comes its 678 miles (1,090km) with 9 hrs 34 mins travel. So only a 107 mile difference and around 2 hrs difference.

I-29 becomes an issue North of Kansas City. It could be a minute before we get Nebraska and the Dakota's. Once you go directly North of Kansas, I-35 no longer gives you a direct path straight North. I-29 is just on the opposite side of the border for states directly above Kansas. I don't see much of an issue until after Kansas. But we do get I-35 and I-55 for a good stretch until we can't anymore for awhile. But I like the I-40, I-20, I-10, I-35 and I-55 road network thru that portion of the South. With those in place, that gives us travel options and a good base to build both North and East at the same time. I really hope SCS doesn't only build North of Texas. We need to go in both directions. I'd like to see Pavel get his wish and we stay fairly boxed at the same time.
oldmanclippy

#64 Post by oldmanclippy » 20 Sep 2021 13:52

Minnesota and Wisconsin will definitely be the next Montanas, but probably for a much shorter period of time and on a much smaller scale and with far less annoyance.

Fargo to Chicago is 643 miles with MN, and 810 without it. Not bad at all. It's just a goofy L-shape with I-29 and US-20.

Minneapolis to Chicago is 408 miles with WI, and 490 without it. Again, not bad at all.

Of course MN and WI will make these routes a lot more realistic, but if we get Illinois before MN and WI then we're looking at a 607 miles gap for I-94 and a 480 mile gap for I-90. The current I-90 gap is 637 miles for reference, so the I-94 gap with MN and WI missing will be almost as long as the longest gap now (which should be the longest gap we've ever had and will ever have I think). But we'll have a lot more good alternatives for this gap than we currently have with the I-90 gap in Montana so it'll feel a lot better.

This all assumes that ND/SD and IL come before MN and WI but I think that's a pretty safe bet based on the little information we know now.

The I-70 gap will be 1/3 to 1/2 the current I-90 gap length depending on what cities are used in the DLCs on either side of the gap.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
Bedavd

#65 Post by Bedavd » 20 Sep 2021 17:24

Are there any weight/Hazmat restrictions on the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway? I feel like given I-55 and I-10 it might not be accessible to us for getting in/out of NOLA, but it would be cool to see the bridge included if SCS could swing it. Always had a weird fascination with it since it just cuts straight across one of the thickest portions of that lake hahah.
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
flight50

#66 Post by flight50 » 20 Sep 2021 17:54

There may not be hazmat restrictions on it. I see 2 tankers on it but I can't tell if they are food grade tankers. Considering it Louisiana, I'd say they are not. Either both are from the same company or there is an issue with Google satellite syncing the 2 different location on the bridge. Once I get home, I can look at Rand McNally though to see if I can find anything on that route. Mapping it would be very easy as not a lot of detail needed to pull it off. But how it benefits the game is what I'd like to see. Being between I-55 and US-10, it can get squeezed out. The lake will have to be modeled regardless though for I-10 and I-55.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2411147 ... !1e3?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.0619943 ... !1e3?hl=en

I'm looking forward to this dlc though. First Montana, then Texas then Louisiana. I have high hopes for all 3.
oldmanclippy

#67 Post by oldmanclippy » 20 Sep 2021 18:05

Yeah the causeway is not necessary nor is it hard to map at all by any stretch of the imagination, it's just whether or not SCS will do it for the novelty aspect. I think it's 50/50
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
Bedavd

#68 Post by Bedavd » 20 Sep 2021 18:20

It is the world's longest bridge continuously over water at just under 24 miles of uninterrupted span. Would certainly be cool to have but I'd imagine it would be pure novelty. Doubt we'll see anything east of Baton Rouge marked, but maybe there would be a satellite depot of New Orleans or Baton Rouge in Chinchuba. There are some big box stores off the north end of the bridge. That would purely be an excuse to place the bridge though rather than any strategy for gameplay purposes.

It also might not be viable because they're going to have to fit the I-55/I-12 interchange AND the I-10/I-12/I-59 interchange into that area of Louisiana. To then need to put in the large interchange for I-12 and US 190 might just be too much for the scaling to handle. The more I talk about it the less I think it'll show, which would make me sad but it would be understandable.
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
flight50

#69 Post by flight50 » 20 Sep 2021 22:35

The worse thing that would happen is people would complain that its not long enough. That will blow up in SCS's face. Same happened with Salt Flatts. If SCS reworks US-93A, we can get a longer Salt Flatts. But I don't think they can get more of the Causeway in no matter what. I'd skip it. At 24 miles, we'd get what 1-2 miles of it if that. I'm not even sure if the junction for the bridge would be there but blocked off. But I see the junction at least being there and not accessible at the least. A cut plane can cut it off deeper into the water from both sides to make it seem seamless.

I'd rather get a remote depot to Slidell honestly from New Orleans and then a remote depot from Baton Rouge to Hammond. That way, between Hammond and Slidell can have some decent distance in between without the Causeway in equation. Hammond to Slidell is actually 48 miles in between. We could get something scenic in between for sure. A junction would fit with that kind of distance unless New Orleans and I-10 is pushed further South, the Causeway would be short. If I-10 is pushed South, that also pushes US-90 South. I don't see either being much of an issue but if we have a shot at Port Fourchon, the distance from US-90 to the coast is reduced. I'd rather see LA-1 being longer and to a depot than the Causeway. At least Port Fourchon has depots waiting for us with some interesting scenery. Causeway is no Florida Keys. No that trip to Key West must make the game. Homestead, Fl to Key West is 128 miles. Now that's the kind of trip involving a bride that I want to see in the game.
oldmanclippy

#70 Post by oldmanclippy » 21 Sep 2021 14:42

The good news about LA is that the causeway is not the only really cool road available. I-55 through the swamp will be a treat, as will I-10 over swamp and open water and LA-1 along bayous.

Return to “General discussion about the game”