ATS 1.42 discussion thread

dkasper00

Re: ATS 1.42 discussion thread

#401 Post by dkasper00 » 27 Oct 2021 16:06

It's not, I did all 5 runs last night. Some cities don't have this load as an option.
In a world full of swift drivers, I'm an O/O.
Bommelbeanie

#402 Post by Bommelbeanie » 27 Oct 2021 16:09

Just no offers in the area you where. Reload a few times or drive to the next city nearby if the game didn't want to give you another job.
supersobes
Global moderator

#403 Post by supersobes » 27 Oct 2021 19:33

Tarso wrote: 27 Oct 2021 02:59 After today update there were some substantial changes so i would advise for going back to default settings and adapt to your likings from there again, maybe you find that it needs less tinkering with values than before.
Were these changes rolled out in ETS2 as well, or only ATS? Because now I'm noticing my settings no longer work in ATS, while the work fine in ETS2.
Tarso
Beta tester

#404 Post by Tarso » 27 Oct 2021 21:06

@supersobes ETS2 fix version didn´t rolled out yet
bigkast

#405 Post by bigkast » 27 Oct 2021 22:24

Bommelbeanie wrote: 27 Oct 2021 15:52 Yesterday I noticed that the physics of the Truck suspension turns the wheel, the center spring countered it and so the shaking happens. Went to the game play settings and found the option "suspension stiffness" that was 0, because realism. Changed it to ~30% and the shaking is now nearly gone. Takes it's time to adjust a physic based FFB when the physics are adjustable, too :D .
Thanks! Good hint, fixes the wobble/shaking issue for me. ;) Now i can drive on straights again.
supersobes
Global moderator

#406 Post by supersobes » 28 Oct 2021 03:13

After a few hours of testing, I was unable to find any steering values that work for me on the latest patch. Right before I ran out of time for today, I tried the suggestion of changing the suspension stiffness and stability settings. I reset them back to their default values. Like I said, I ran out of time, so I was only able to drive with it and test it for a few minutes, but it did seem to make the steering better. I will continue to test it tomorrow.

But here's the thing. When the suspension stiffness and stability settings were first introduced, it was said that lowering them was the most realistic value aimed towards steering wheel users. However, now that we have physics based steering force feedback, we're told that works best with the physics settings at the default values. So now we have to choose between realistic steering and realistic physics, but it appears that we can't have both. I will continue to test things to see if I can find a balance between realism in the steering and the physics, but based on what I've seen, it looks like some compromises in realism will have to be made unless SCS changes something under the hood to make it possible to have both.
R0adrunner

#407 Post by R0adrunner » 28 Oct 2021 05:48

About suspension stiffness; higher value (slider to the right) equals stiffer suspension, right?
I've never done that before, so I'm sure I can do it (Långstrump, Pippi)
Hard Times in Scandinavia a.k.a. HTiS (story and pics)
Movin' on - my ATS adventures
My WoT page
Trucker Nik

#408 Post by Trucker Nik » 28 Oct 2021 06:09

@dk00? and @Bommelbeanie thanks for the reply, i try to finish the event today :)
Grizzly

#409 Post by Grizzly » 28 Oct 2021 07:28

@R0adrunner correct
Max
SCS Software

#410 Post by Max » 28 Oct 2021 09:27

supersobes wrote: 28 Oct 2021 03:13 After a few hours of testing, I was unable to find any steering values that work for me on the latest patch. Right before I ran out of time for today, I tried the suggestion of changing the suspension stiffness and stability settings. I reset them back to their default values. Like I said, I ran out of time, so I was only able to drive with it and test it for a few minutes, but it did seem to make the steering better. I will continue to test it tomorrow.

But here's the thing. When the suspension stiffness and stability settings were first introduced, it was said that lowering them was the most realistic value aimed towards steering wheel users. However, now that we have physics based steering force feedback, we're told that works best with the physics settings at the default values. So now we have to choose between realistic steering and realistic physics, but it appears that we can't have both. I will continue to test things to see if I can find a balance between realism in the steering and the physics, but based on what I've seen, it looks like some compromises in realism will have to be made unless SCS changes something under the hood to make it possible to have both.
well, whether the left-most settings are most realistic it is matter of opinion.

while i agree that our defaults might be bit too hard, i also diagree that left-most values give most realistic behavior. our default has its reasons - computation is more stable both physically nad numerically. and most of the game and truck behavior is tuned to default physics settings (stable computation) with regard of what is simulated and how and what is not simulated (yet).
if you set sliders left, you can get some more real-like behavior aspects, but with a cost that it might loose precision so other aspects are terribly off. it is all about combination and balance of all settings. and feelings of players as there are virtually no two players they would like the same game (depends mainly if they have driven one of real trucks and which one, or played various set of other games).

physics-based FFB just exposed this behavior bit more.
so, always start with defaults and then tweak all parameters carefully. everything is linked to everything other.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.

Return to “General discussion about the game”