ATS 1.42 discussion thread

Bommelbeanie

Re: ATS 1.42 discussion thread

#361 Post by Bommelbeanie » 25 Oct 2021 23:04

Low speed centering is on 30% and the truck feels like a car with city steering and still centers like crazy. High speed works better, because of the big dead zone with no centering at all. It feels like a bug that has to be fixed, the old FFB had a spring force too and was setup in under a minute and didn't had such a behavior.
parasaurolophus67

#362 Post by parasaurolophus67 » 26 Oct 2021 00:08

@Laqueesha hmmm idk I haven't seen it (the large F-250 truck model) yet and already did two deliveries. Perhaps you've seen the street cleaner truck?
Laqueesha

#363 Post by Laqueesha » 26 Oct 2021 00:16

@parasaurolophus67 Never mind, might have been from a traffic mod. It was this (literally) exact model, same livery and everything. Thought it was default since it was pretty generic-looking.
Last edited by Laqueesha on 26 Oct 2021 01:15, edited 1 time in total.
parasaurolophus67

#364 Post by parasaurolophus67 » 26 Oct 2021 00:17

ah. Careful, mods can fool ya sometimes lol.
supersobes
Global moderator

#365 Post by supersobes » 26 Oct 2021 00:21

Bommelbeanie wrote: 25 Oct 2021 23:04 Low speed centering is on 30% and the truck feels like a car with city steering and still centers like crazy.
I used to use 30%, but now I use 20% low speed centering with my Logitech G920. To make up for the lack of centering force, I use 300% friction, achieved by using the command c_ff_friction 3.0 (you must use the console command for this because the slider only goes up to 100%). For me, this made a big difference. I can recommend people having this problem to try those settings.
cristianrpbeijo

#366 Post by cristianrpbeijo » 26 Oct 2021 06:19

new ffb make the wheel lighter even in high speeds. My truck can roll over easily now... This is realistic? :?: :?: :idea: :idea:
Mic_2

#367 Post by Mic_2 » 26 Oct 2021 06:50

Trucks steer very light in real life. My brother often comments how they are a lighter to drive than his car. You have to realize that they use power steering, which means they can theoretically make it as light as they want
wato

#368 Post by wato » 26 Oct 2021 08:00

Bommelbeanie wrote: 25 Oct 2021 22:34 So, today was the second try to get the FFB working. Had to add "friction" over the Fanatec software to have force on the deadzone and damp down the stupid wheel shaking. Did a 1000mile job and yes its drivable now but far from a good feeling. Has anyone a solution to get rid of the hyperfast wheel centering? From full lock to straight in about 1-2m is not only unrealistic, it irritates so much that it kills every immersion.
I have the Fanatec CSL and I noticed that it shakes if I set the Drift setting to 0. Usually, I have it at -5 and the FFB is then smooth.
Trippul G

#369 Post by Trippul G » 26 Oct 2021 08:31

supersobes wrote: 26 Oct 2021 00:21
Bommelbeanie wrote: 25 Oct 2021 23:04 Low speed centering is on 30% and the truck feels like a car with city steering and still centers like crazy.
I used to use 30%, but now I use 20% low speed centering with my Logitech G920. To make up for the lack of centering force, I use 300% friction, achieved by using the command c_ff_friction 3.0 (you must use the console command for this because the slider only goes up to 100%). For me, this made a big difference. I can recommend people having this problem to try those settings.
Just a word of caution to people with other brands of wheels: be very cautious when entering values above what the sliders allow. I entered 300% friction, and my Fanatec wheel (CSL DD with McLaren v2 rim) acted like it was trying to rip itself apart. It seemed to be from the engine vibrations (which I had set very low, at 0.02)...the wheel would start off rotating just a degree or two left and right in sync with the engine, but gradually the rotation would grow more and more severe, back and forth until I had to grab it with both hands to make it stop. Even at 200% friction, it still did this. 100 or below, and it's fine.
EricF

#370 Post by EricF » 26 Oct 2021 14:01

Another steering adjustment applicable to wheels is still in the game, and its effect has changed subtly due to the new FFB system -- Steering Nonlinearity.

If that slider is all the way to the left, the steering input will be 1:1 at all times which would seem desirable for 900-degree wheels and above, but under the new FFB system it narrows any deadzone in the steering to nothing at all. And that can make the truck feel "twitchy" and hard to keep centered in the lane. Or it may add to the problem of back-and-forth shaking of the wheel as the FFB system tries to keep up with the game and the tolerances of the wheel's position detection.

A little bit of nonlinearity is OK, and may be desirable. For one, 900 degrees is actually still a rather small turning range for truck steering. It's intended for quick-steering cars in real life, not trucks. So some compensation around the center, for fine control, can be beneficial. Also, in a real truck, the suspension and front end alignment tends to resist changes in direction which is particularly noticeable when traveling straight ahead. Since the game physics has to cope with various steering input device types besides wheels, the steering nonlinearity adjustment can be used as a compensating factor to dial-in the right amount of resistance to changing direction.

To find the optimal setting, I found it works best to move the steering nonlinearity slider to 50% and then test and adjust from there. It can help you dial-in the realistic effect of free play in the steering (small or large, depending on preference) and helps replicate how real steering tends to change direction off-center more slowly than it does further into its range due to alignment, suspension design, and tire behavior.

Ignore the on-screen steering wheel behavior! For one, it's intended to sync to the rotation of your wheel -- normally 900 degrees, which isn't realistic for a heavy truck. Additionally, the on-screen wheel seems to turn more like a radio control toy's wheel -- exactly proportional to the turning radius being selected like a dial control, not a "live", reactive physical link between the driver's hands and the steering gear, suspension and tires. In real life there's going to be some difference/lag between steering input and vehicle reaction unless you're driving a race car. (Which is what our wheel controllers are generally designed for...)

The old FFB system any my Logitech wheels tended to need a fair amount of non-linearity compensation or the steering would seem too "fast" or "twitchy", or the spring force would come on too soon. Under the new system I can use a good deal less, but having some applied still makes the steering "feel" more truck-like.

Return to “General discussion about the game”