ATS 1.42 discussion thread

ahersz

Re: ATS 1.42 beta discussion thread

#271 Post by ahersz » 11 Oct 2021 17:11

So it's standard on ATS v1.41 it's normal with constant vibration without wobbling

https://youtu.be/OiT8UqoQnkI
mlbshowdown2002

Convoy mode synch?

#272 Post by mlbshowdown2002 » 11 Oct 2021 22:48

Hello,

I have been playing convoy mode, and I have noticed that some road events don't appear for me, but the other player sees them.

For convoy mode, does the host's gameplay settings (specifically road events, detours, and rain probability) make the events in game appear for all players or is it based on something else?

For example, he saw a construction temporary traffic light event in an area of the road when I had been in the area moments before and didn't see the event. I am curious and confused at the moment. :?:
The Dude

#273 Post by The Dude » 12 Oct 2021 01:37

The new FFB settings in this version are really working great on my old G27, still works after all these 14 years, no complaints.
"Gamers Are Not Beta Testers"
djfil

#274 Post by djfil » 12 Oct 2021 06:54

First beta I've ever downloaded, and it's all because the Force Feedback update. And first impression, is wow... this is miles better. Great job SCS!

With my Simucube (1st gen OSW) I'm no longer needing to make a wacky custom FFB setup to make it work... now I can use my default wheel profile and tune everything else in-game. But the one slider I'm having issue with noticing anything is...
Bumps - absolute strength of bump effect multiplied by an overall gain, simulating bumps to the suspension. Minimum is 0 - no bumps force, maximum is 1 - full bumps force.
Where should I really be noticing this? I thought it was going to be the grooves of the road (such as on bridges between different slabs, etc) but on those I feel nothing even with this slider cranked. Other thing I thought was going to be when going over crests or down in to dips (since it mentions suspension)... but it's very subtle if so. Any suggestions, or is something being worked on?

The one thing that really surprised me... driving 50mph down the highway, turned off the engine (by accident), boom no power steering and it's 100% noticeable. Not sure that was a thing before, but it was awesome. This is 100% in the right direction, thank you so much for rewriting the FFB... long awaited and not disappointed at all.
plykkegaard

#275 Post by plykkegaard » 12 Oct 2021 07:28

djfil wrote: 12 Oct 2021 06:54 ... driving 50mph down the highway, turned off the engine (by accident), boom no power steering and it's 100% noticeable
Cool!

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Bandit & The Snowman

#276 Post by Bandit & The Snowman » 12 Oct 2021 07:40

Sidewalks, speed bumps and bumps at the entrance of company prefabs are the most notable places for the effect. Not sure about others as it’s been a while. Should be more occasions though, along with generally more uneven surfaces.
R0adrunner

#277 Post by R0adrunner » 12 Oct 2021 07:43

R0adrunner wrote: 11 Oct 2021 12:44
R0adrunner wrote: 10 Oct 2021 16:06 About the new FFB. To me the wheel centering forces seems a bit jumpy or twitchy in lack of better terms. Almost as if there's a deadzone before the FFB kicks in.
I tested some more and the disturbing effect i described as a deadzone in my previous post could also be described as a slight delay before the centering force kicks in to the opposite direction (while turning the steering wheel to the opposite direction). It's best felt when turning from say 90 degrees left/right to 90 degrees in the oppposite direction without driving in a straight line (0 degrees) between the turns. Trying hard to find the right words to describe this... One way to put it is that it feels like the centering force should be more linear/smooth when changing steering direction. Hopes this makes sense.
Tried setting the 'Internal friction' slider at max (i had this off before). This somewhat irons out the FFB deadzone/delay feel. Still far from perfect, but definitely better. To sum it up, my current setting are:

Overall gain - 100%
Centering at high speed - 100%
Centering at low speed - about 25-30%
Internal friction - 100%
Everything else - 0% for now

This is on a Fanatec CSW2 with wheelbase settings:

Sen - Aut
FF - 100
Dri - Off
For - 100
Spr - Off
Dpr - 100
Bli - Off
Sho - 100
Brf - 50
I've never done that before, so I'm sure I can do it (Långstrump, Pippi)
Hard Times in Scandinavia a.k.a. HTiS (story and pics)
Movin' on - my ATS adventures
My WoT page
Bandit & The Snowman

#278 Post by Bandit & The Snowman » 12 Oct 2021 09:14

One more thing about power steering vs. engine off ‒ I don't know if or which trucks have hydraulic or electric power steering or what not. But electric power steering can keep up the support even with the engine turned off, which is a safety feature. You really don't want to fight the wheel if the engine ever cuts out - not sure how common that is with trucks. Anyway the battery is strong enough to support this. I've driven a 2004 Golf V that has this feature.
Last edited by Bandit & The Snowman on 13 Oct 2021 12:10, edited 1 time in total.
plykkegaard

#279 Post by plykkegaard » 12 Oct 2021 09:43

Don't if it is default for some vehicles, but ...
https://www.thetruckexpert.co.uk/all-el ... -a-corner/

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Hoffa82

#280 Post by Hoffa82 » 12 Oct 2021 12:45

I drove a Ford Transit fully loaded with mechanical parts and a racecar on a trailer behind when the aux belt tossed in the towel, so no power steering, generator or AC, and there were 20-25km to the next possible exit from the highway.
It was a lot harder to steer, but manageable of course.
So that effect in game seems very realistic and a nice touch.

I wonder what that electric power steering will do to the feedback when driving. Perhaps there is a possibility to add FFB in real vehicles to add to the feeling of road conditions and such.

Maybe it would be cool to have the steering be heavier as the condition of the truck deteriorates. Maybe even have the steering be looser and more wonky at the percentage goes down. Of course optional and after the new FFB is tweaked to function as it should.
When in doubt, take a step back, research, use logic and see the discussion from a different angle, then.... MORE POWER!!

Return to “General discussion about the game”