ATS 1.42 discussion thread

Bandit & The Snowman

Re: ATS 1.42 beta discussion thread

#261 Post by Bandit & The Snowman » 10 Oct 2021 23:54

Max said engine resonance/vibrations is only there for those who want it for subjective reasons, it’s actually unrealistic. Engine vibrations normally don’t transfer into the steering system.
rookie_one

#262 Post by rookie_one » 11 Oct 2021 01:06

Yes and no, vibrations can transfer to the steering system under certains conditions, but in a modern truck it's extremely rare (the engine has to shake like there's no tomorrow for this to happens)

It will happens more often in a car, due to the proximity between the axle, the engine and the steering rack....and in FWD cars, the fact that your front wheels are connected to the transmission

On that, did anyone find a good setting for the Thrustmaster T300RS or T500RS ? (they are pretty similar to one another)

I have been trying to set up my T500RS and i'm struggling to find the sweet spot
Engine and Transmission compilation mod : here
Grizzly

#263 Post by Grizzly » 11 Oct 2021 03:05

Thing is I used to like it in the old version, I had it on low and just felt a bit of vibration when the engine was working hard, it made the truck feel alive.

With the new version even having it almost off, say when the truck is just sitting still and the engine idling, if you turn the wheel it moves in jerks, whereas with vibration off it moves smoothly.
Max
SCS Software

#264 Post by Max » 11 Oct 2021 07:03

what max said (or meant) was mainly that engine resonance effect is not based on game physics and is rather artificial added on top (in similar way as it was before). part of artificiality is that it affects steering axle of controller and the combination with steering forces is what you see/feel.
it may feel bit different than before though due to changes in rest of FFB.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
x_Puppy_Paws_x

#265 Post by x_Puppy_Paws_x » 11 Oct 2021 08:08

@Max There is mentioned somewhere that the new FFB also effect controllers, which in my book means PS4-5 and XBOX controllers and not a wheel, so for me in main menu before loading profile in settings i can adjust all the FFB related sliders (i am using XBOX controller) but once ingame/in profile all sliders are greyed out, Mohegan says his controller on ingame profile he can adjust sliders with XBOX controller and are not greyed out.

The question that has been asked but I never have seen answered is:
Do the new FFB settings effect anything for XBOX controllers or any other type of controller that is not a wheel?
R0adrunner

#266 Post by R0adrunner » 11 Oct 2021 12:44

R0adrunner wrote: 10 Oct 2021 16:06 About the new FFB. To me the wheel centering forces seems a bit jumpy or twitchy in lack of better terms. Almost as if there's a deadzone before the FFB kicks in.
I tested some more and the disturbing effect i described as a deadzone in my previous post could also be described as a slight delay before the centering force kicks in to the opposite direction (while turning the steering wheel to the opposite direction). It's best felt when turning from say 90 degrees left/right to 90 degrees in the oppposite direction without driving in a straight line (0 degrees) between the turns. Trying hard to find the right words to describe this... One way to put it is that it feels like the centering force should be more linear/smooth when changing steering direction. Hopes this makes sense.
I've never done that before, so I'm sure I can do it (Långstrump, Pippi)
Hard Times in Scandinavia a.k.a. HTiS (story and pics)
Movin' on - my ATS adventures
My WoT page
ahersz

#267 Post by ahersz » 11 Oct 2021 15:13

About the FBB, my steering wheel T500rs, the FBB is not direct it is oscillating, in waves it goes and comes back and I don't continue as it was before, I tested on the ATS that this v1.41 and it is normal, anyone else noticed this?
Hoffa82

#268 Post by Hoffa82 » 11 Oct 2021 15:22

This effect as described by previous pister can also be felt when the engine is turned off, and the game is simulating the power steering off, and applying 100% force to "lock" the steering wheel. It's a slight but very noticeable delay from turning the wheel to the game reacting and applying force to counter the input.
I guess this it to not have the wheel constantly put force on the FFB motors, to prevent heat and tear, but it needs to be faster and tighter.
The wheel doesn't need to be centered for this effect, so I'm not sure if it's the same problem as with the loose center. But if I may speculate it is perhaps so that when one is driving straight and no forces are calculated, the FFB is paused for a lack of a better word, and the when something happens in game, like a turn or bump or whatever, the same delay is causing a strange effect and the feeling through the wheel is wierd.
I'm on a t500, so not the most subtle of FFB, so it's hard to pinpoint exactly what the game is doing and what is just the quirks of the wheel, as it's about as refined as a sledgehammer.

Edit: I was talking about what @R0adrunner mentioned, I don't have oscillating forces, in that regard my t500 is working as it should.

Edit 2: I wonder if this deadzone/delay in the FFB can be cured by an option to set minimal force % in game.
I'm not entirely sure how it works, but it has something to do with the forces not starting from 0% but at a higher value depending on one's wheel.
I know it cured a loose center in many race games back in my racing days.
Someone more knowledgeable about how this works would be welcome to explain it much better than me.
When in doubt, take a step back, research, use logic and see the discussion from a different angle, then.... MORE POWER!!
ahersz

#269 Post by ahersz » 11 Oct 2021 15:52

My FBB on T500 is like this
[youtube]https://youtu.be/Fq1ZQaFj9pY[/youtube]
Hoffa82

#270 Post by Hoffa82 » 11 Oct 2021 16:18

@ahersz Do you have the engine resonance slider all the way to the left?
When in doubt, take a step back, research, use logic and see the discussion from a different angle, then.... MORE POWER!!

Return to “General discussion about the game”