Long time player - is there anything left?

xXCARL1992Xx

Re: Long time player - is there anything left?

#11 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 16 Oct 2021 10:27

someone didnt get the definition of "simulator" games, every game that is like ETS and ATS has NO ENDGOAL, it is the same as if you would say Flight Sim has no end goal but you already flew with every plane to every airport, or Farm Sim because you harvested every single crop that exists and you own every plot of land, you dont play it because you want to finish it (story driven games like Assassins Creed, NieR series, GTA etc. etc.) but because you want to play it to relax, you wouldnt want to play CoD after a stressful day to relax, you would play something like ETS/ATS, FarmSim, FlightSim etc.
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
flight50

#12 Post by flight50 » 16 Oct 2021 21:15

I totally agree with Freeze and Carl from a relaxing and stressful day standpoint. SCS has gotten me thru a few stressful years....yes years. Life is better now for me but August 2016 to mid part of this year was rough at home. I shut out a ton and just drove to keep some sense of sanity. I got ATS June of 2016. I got ETS2 Dec 2016. I haven't remotely regretted my decision to invest.

Its a grest change of pace game. The older I get, the fast moving games give me headaches. I like slow paced games now and for me, I can not find one I'm more passionate about than ATS. Games that end, I only play once. I get my money's worth with sims. Not to mention, I love big rigs. Always have, always will.
angrybirdseller

#13 Post by angrybirdseller » 17 Oct 2021 11:50

Play on my days off take 500-700 mile ATS or ETS delivery to relax and go do others things around the house. Story driven kind of go blah, as I do want to get stuck in certain part of the game where my ability to button mash is not there.
oldmanclippy

#14 Post by oldmanclippy » 18 Oct 2021 16:23

They're not really games that "end". If you feel burnt out by it, take a break. Lots of people use them to relax with music or a podcast, others are really into the simulation part and have full setups with a wheel, pedals, and shifter, others like the tourism aspect, etc.
blog screenshot IRL maps: Greece | Nordic Horizons | see profile for link to Germany cities and Switzerland rework maps
prediction maps: Greece | ATS 2024-2025 DLCs
research map: Upper Midwest (work in progress)
PBandJ

#15 Post by PBandJ » 18 Oct 2021 19:10

If you get tired of driving, you can always work on paint jobs, engine sounds or other type mods to spice up your truck. Read up on blender and go that avenue on changing your truck. Look at how to create your own customized garage. Try your hand at driving without navigation other than just the map. Try a hard economy mod on a new profile to see a different view. Take time between jobs to just drive and explore the area you are in at the time, such as viewpoints, historic markers, or hidden roads. All kinds of things to break up the stagnant time. This is just a few.

There is also a section that is being worked on that is making maps for each city in the game so you can go by turn by turn style directions. Plenty yet to do on it: viewtopic.php?f=193&t=286952 Just some ideas....:)
VTXcnME

#16 Post by VTXcnME » 18 Oct 2021 19:20

flight50 wrote: 15 Oct 2021 23:46 There are a few things I find odd about this thread for a long time player.

- I assume a long time player would have all dlc's if they are investing time into the game. The dlc's are get better and better. All dlc's owned is the best that ATS can offer. Missing this one or that one and you don't get the full benefit of the stock game.
- garages and drivers don't make the game interesting. The player does and its what you make it. Mods, no mods, playing style. What is your purpose for playing. Enjoy driving, love for trucks, just trying it out......If one is just a casual gamer, yes it could get boring to you as there no meaning behind it.
- Level 18......Ehhh that doesn't say that a lot is put into the game to say "is anything left". At level 18, its impossible to max out all skills if I'm not mistaking. All skills equal 30 skill points.
- exploration. That can be exhausted based on playing style until the next dlc releases. The roads do get repetitive. That's the life of a real trucker. In ATS, we actually have more diversity than most real truckers. Some truckers run the same types of cargo, same trailer types, same routes.....trucking is a tough job and many are not cut out for it. ATS offers a taste of what some real life truckers may encounter. Trucking is not for everyone just as this game may not be for everyone.

I agree with Underscore_101_. One has to go beyond the base map. Just as I mentioned above. The game's best offerings is the entire package the devs create. ETS2 is a great alternate. I always tell people to own both games anyways to get the best of both worlds. If one wants a little extra that SCS hasn't provided yet, that is where mods come into play. There are pros and cons to mods though. Not all mods are made the same. Basically meaning, there is a range of quality levels involved so choose wisely.
^^ALL of this^^

52% of the roads explored, what's left? About 48% of the map.

Level 18, what's left? Another 12-ish levels to max out your player skills.

Not having anything but the base game? You got a handful of additional states, a handful of DLC, and more cargo packs.

OP-If you're already bored of ATS, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's just not for you. I've got over 600 hours into the game, and I still look forward to sitting down and dragging a heavy haul across the west. My 600 hours pales in comparison to what others have into the game. I guess I'd just say, maybe it's not for you.
rbsanford

#17 Post by rbsanford » 19 Oct 2021 04:16

Only 52% really isn't that much. Even if you have just the major roads and cities covered (which would be more than 52%, I reckon), the minor roads and settlements can have some real hidden gems in terms of scenery.

In general, I'd recommend setting your own goals, like getting 100% map completion, reaching 100,000 miles on your truck, becoming a billionaire, completing a particular job (like from San Diego to Bellingham, so you drive up all of I-5), reaching Level 100, etc. That's the great thing about open-world games: you can create your own experience, and the game never truly ends. And when you take into account what's in store for the future, there's a whole lot left.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
rookie31st

#18 Post by rookie31st » 19 Oct 2021 14:47

xXCARL1992Xx wrote: 16 Oct 2021 10:27someone didnt get the definition of "simulator" games, every game that is like ETS and ATS has NO ENDGOAL
I respectfully disagree with this statement. The games have no story and thus no narrative "the end", however, it doesn't mean they have no end goal. They do, despite being process oriented. The end goal is determined by each player. They play until they reach it. Or until they get bored or frustrated by not reaching it. And player may have multiple endgoals, based on some milestones (new map release, new truck release etc.)

And while the simulators like truck driving or farming concentrate on the long-lasting process, it is especially vital to support long-lasting interest by implementing even more routine tasks and more "hooks" for various end-goals (let say, seasonal end-goals). FS22 finally adds seasons, after having them as third-party add-on only for so long, so I think it might be time for ETS2/ATS finally get seasons official as well. That alone would randomize the process thus enhancing the gameplay.
Have a mature suggestion to improve American Truck Simulator? Fahgettaboudit!
xXCARL1992Xx

#19 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 19 Oct 2021 15:24

so, the game still has no end goal, just because you set one for yourself doesnt mean the game itself from the developers has one, nothing on my post changed, you just tried to find another excuse by circumventing it
Last edited by xXCARL1992Xx on 19 Oct 2021 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
supersobes
Global moderator

#20 Post by supersobes » 19 Oct 2021 16:57

I personally feel that there is still a lot of entertainment in this game. I've driven over 1,000,000 miles, played over 2,000 hours, hauled over 1,500 loads, and explored more than 90% of map. For me, I get enjoyment from simply simulating real life trucking as closely as I can with no end goal, no quest, and no real purpose. Despite all of the driving I've done in this game, I continue to regularly enjoy just hopping in a truck and hauling some loads. The simplicity and freedom of the game is something I think SCS does very well, and I think that's part of what keeps some of us coming back to the game even after "finishing" the game by reaching the highest level.

Return to “General discussion about the game”