Long time player - is there anything left?

rookie31st

Re: Long time player - is there anything left?

#21 Post by rookie31st » 19 Oct 2021 18:59

"Simulating real life trucking as closely as I can" and "simplicity and freedom of the game" are kind of opposite poles @supersobes
Have a mature suggestion to improve American Truck Simulator? Fahgettaboudit!
supersobes
Global moderator

#22 Post by supersobes » 19 Oct 2021 20:42

Not really. The game is simple and gives you freedom to do what you want and play how you want, so I chose to play as closely to real life as possible because that what I wanted to do.
Bedavd

#23 Post by Bedavd » 19 Oct 2021 21:18

I find enjoyment from the game more as a road-trip simulator than trucking, though I have learned a lot about certain supply chain and economies of areas in America from the game and this forum which I also enjoy. For me, I get a lot of enjoyment out of driving IRL and listening to podcasts or music. ATS just provides a way to do that in a safer, more environmentally friendly, and cost effective way. The cargo/company really just serves as an excuse and destination for wherever I'm going. I tend to pick loads based more on what roads they'll take me on than what I'm carrying/where they're going to. At this point on my main profile I make enough money from drivers to easily pay for gas/maintenance on the truck and would never need to drive myself again but I need the reason. That's why the scenery and the roads that are included are so important to me when I give feedback as a player.

I did, however, recently start a new vanilla profile and every-so-often I go and play that profile instead of my warp around, 100% discovery profile. I try to be a bit more simulator-y there, don't cheat my way to a job that's about to expire. Try to return back to my HQ infrequently as if that's where the driver lives so they can go "home". I've enjoyed that quite a bit too and it's broken up some of the monotony I feel sometimes.
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
Tristman

#24 Post by Tristman » 20 Oct 2021 07:38

I agree with the sentiment of deciding for yourself what the goal is. Personally, I play the game most when a new map DLC is released, or when a map mod gets a big update. I like exploring a country that is too far away to explore in detail irl.

Outside of new maps, I also enjoy playing the game for relaxation. Doing a short haul at the end of a long day is a nice way for me to settle down.

If the production chains are more fleshed out in the future, I could also see myself doing jobs from raw material to production to customer, pretending to be involved in a supply chain from start to finish.
VTXcnME

#25 Post by VTXcnME » 20 Oct 2021 13:14

supersobes wrote: 19 Oct 2021 16:57 I personally feel that there is still a lot of entertainment in this game. I've driven over 1,000,000 miles, played over 2,000 hours, hauled over 1,500 loads, and explored more than 90% of map. For me, I get enjoyment from simply simulating real life trucking as closely as I can with no end goal, no quest, and no real purpose. Despite all of the driving I've done in this game, I continue to regularly enjoy just hopping in a truck and hauling some loads. The simplicity and freedom of the game is something I think SCS does very well, and I think that's part of what keeps some of us coming back to the game even after "finishing" the game by reaching the highest level.
For me, it's also 100% relaxing. Some days (especially the long days where you just need some downtime) I'll stream some music, jump in the cab, and just mindlessly tick off the miles.

Some people move sand and pebbles around in a little box. Some people do yoga. I drive a simulated 18 wheeler. LOL

EDIT: I also installed your guard rail mod Sobes, and it 100% improved the quality of the in game guard rails. Very nice mod.
supersobes
Global moderator

#26 Post by supersobes » 20 Oct 2021 14:26

VTXcnME wrote: 20 Oct 2021 13:14 I also installed your guard rail mod Sobes, and it 100% improved the quality of the in game guard rails. Very nice mod.
Oh, awesome! I glad you like it! :D
HammerlaneHippie

#27 Post by HammerlaneHippie » 22 Oct 2021 12:57

No end in sight for me. I'm at level 116, own all the garages, over 250 trucks, and running about 50 mods. At the rate of one or two states per year, SCS will not get to my state, (Maine), while I'm alive so it is very likely that I'll keep playing on as long as I can.
The bigger they are, the harder they haul!
axl135

#28 Post by axl135 » 22 Oct 2021 14:50

I have been playing ATS since the beginning of 2017, at a time when we only had three states, four models, no road events, no doubles, no trailer cables, no ownable trailers, no heavy haul, no special transport, etc.

Seeing how this game evolved over time is what keeps it interesting. It is a major source of R & R for me.
flight50

#29 Post by flight50 » 22 Oct 2021 15:12

^Yeahhhhh those where tough times back then, lol. Luckily enough people showed enough interest for ATS to become a platform. To be honest, my life would have been a lot different right now had it not been for ATS being there for stress and relaxation relief. I started playing ATS well before I joined this forum. Its because I got so into this game, is the reason why I've become so active on here. Lots of ways to voice how to bring more immersion and make it more innovative. So if I can be part of that voice, I'm all in. Every years, gets better and better in ATS for me. I'd play ETS2 a bit more if the ETS2 version of the K100 gets updated like the ATS version. I can't play ETS2 with anything else than the K100 mod. I won't even attempt a default truck anymore.
plykkegaard

#30 Post by plykkegaard » 22 Oct 2021 15:18

ATS in scale 1:35 was a strange epxerience comming from the larger ETS2 1:19 scale

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.

Return to “General discussion about the game”