Is Logitech G920 or G29 a good investment

deltapooh

Is Logitech G920 or G29 a good investment

#1 Post by deltapooh » 07 Nov 2021 19:45

I'm thinking about purchasing a wheel/pedal/shifter set. Logitech G920 and G29 are cheaper now than I recall. I looked around on the forum for an idea of which wheel to buy that is easy to setup, but have just found post after post about bugs, particularly with Force Feed Back. So I am just wondering if a wheel is even worth it now. Any advice would be helpful. I really like ATS, but stopped playing because the gamepad didn't feel right. However, if the right wheel cost more, I would like to know.

Thanks in advance.
Grizzly

Re: Is Logitech G920 or G29 a good investment

#2 Post by Grizzly » 07 Nov 2021 22:33

Pretty happy with my G29, I would have a couple of thousand hours on it trucking and racing and it's still going strong.
jarryed

#3 Post by jarryed » 08 Nov 2021 00:18

Hearing people complain left and right here, and on Steam about Logitech wheels I would say no, they are not a good investment.

Go with Thrustmaster. Less problems and better feeling force feedback in my opinion.
You can never make a miserable person who complains about everything happy. They live by "If I can't be happy then no one can be happy."
Grizzly

#4 Post by Grizzly » 08 Nov 2021 02:29

Well, SCS just changed the way FFB works so lots of people complain they've ruined the game same as they do whenever SCS change anything.
jarryed

#5 Post by jarryed » 08 Nov 2021 03:03

There were tons of complaints even before 1.42 too. It was not just this update that had made me mention what I did.

If your wheel is working then yay. Logitech is known for having a huge dead zone at the top of the wheel which so many people complained about. Blame Logitech on that because of their extremely poor business decision years ago.

Not to mention that the G923 was the perfect opportunity for them to step into a belt driven wheel but no...they went with a feature that at the time, and still relatively few games can actually use. Accuforce or whatever name they call it. Another huge fail from Logitech.
Last edited by jarryed on 08 Nov 2021 03:07, edited 1 time in total.
You can never make a miserable person who complains about everything happy. They live by "If I can't be happy then no one can be happy."
Grizzly

#6 Post by Grizzly » 08 Nov 2021 03:06

Thrustmaster do make a better wheel, I won't argue with that bit.
supersobes
Global moderator

#7 Post by supersobes » 08 Nov 2021 03:53

I've never used a Thrustmaster wheel, but I hear good things about them. I got my Logitech G920 back in 2016, and I can say that my experience with it is somewhat underwhelming. It definitely beats driving with a keyboard, but there are some things about it that really bother me. The aforementioned deadzone at the top center of the wheel is one. Adjusting the in-game force feedback settings helps with it, but it will just always be there because that's how the wheel is designed. Another thing is that this wheel is not very smooth; you can feel the teeth of gears inside, which significantly takes away from the realism. Rather than feeling the road and the response of the vehicle, you just feel the rattle of the gears. It also makes for an extremely noise experience, so headphones that block out most or all ambient sounds around you are really useful if you use this wheel. The only real good thing I have to say about this wheel is that it is definitely in it for the long haul. I've had mine for over five years now, and the performance of it has stayed consistent for thousands of hours of use. From my experience, I wouldn't recommend this wheel to anyone who wants to use it for ETS2/ATS unless you really cannot afford a better one. This is one of those things where you get what you pay for, so investing in a better one from the start would probably be the best way to go.
pigbrother

#8 Post by pigbrother » 08 Nov 2021 07:59

It's a gear drive wheel, so, no, not really.
I have approximate knowledge of many things
LeGod7

#9 Post by LeGod7 » 08 Nov 2021 10:12

I invested in a G29 earlier this year as an upgrade to using my PS4 controller and it makes a big difference in terms of immersion, and should be getting the shifter for xmas. It's the first wheel I've had so can't compare it to any others but for the price I'm pretty happy with it.
The new FFB took a little getting used to but feels a lot more realistic than before. As said above it can be a bit noisy especially over bumpy roads.
PBandJ

#10 Post by PBandJ » 08 Nov 2021 14:12

It all depends on what you can afford to spend. I have a G29 and I am quite happy with it for what it cost me. I bought it used (hardly used)....:) You can spend 1500.00 on top of the line Fanatec wheels, 550.00 for the Thrustmaster T300RS, 400.00 for Logitech G923, or or 300.00 for Logitech g29 that includes the logitech shifter also. (Prices from Amazon) If I was buying this wheel to actually use in a vehicle, I would spend as much as I could, but since it is for driving in a PC game (ATS, ETS2, F1) this g29 does just fine....:)

My thoughts on the game play of g29 in ETS2 and ATS, which wheel did you really think would come out with no issues after the FFB updates lol. One is now licensed with SCS....:) Hopefully the other wheels are corrected over time. I am happy with my G29 now, took a while to get it that way though. Still have some tweaking to get it the way it was before the FFB update, but hopefully an update will make that easier. Time will tell.

Return to “General discussion about the game”