Use of sim for CDL test practice

dogugotw

Use of sim for CDL test practice

#1 Post by dogugotw » 17 Nov 2021 18:15

Right now I have only the demo version installed on a Mac.

I was hoping to use the sim to augment my actual CDL training class due to start in 2 months. The 3 areas I was most hoping to find were having the ability to do full pre-trip inspections (in cab and outside), hookup/disconnect, and backing.

It appears that only backing up is an option and that only as part of running a route (as opposed to a practice lot).

Am I correct or will I need the full up game to get the remaining two functions I want?

Please note, if I am right, it's not a killer. This is a game not a full simulator and I can understand why these pre/post trip features don't exist.

Thank you for the assist.
Madkine
Global moderator

Re: Use of sim for CDL test practice

#2 Post by Madkine » 17 Nov 2021 20:29

The full game is exactly the same in regards to those 3 features.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
jarryed

#3 Post by jarryed » 17 Nov 2021 20:32

To be quite honest the backing part may give you an idea what to look for in real life but I would never use this to augment or try to replace the real thing. Trailer turns way too slow compared to real life is one majorly huge difference when backing.
You can never make a miserable person who complains about everything happy. They live by "If I can't be happy then no one can be happy."
VTXcnME

#4 Post by VTXcnME » 18 Nov 2021 12:30

As stated above, real life experience/training/practice is going to be far more beneficial than using this as any type of replacement training/practice/experience.

This may be called a simulator, but it's straight up a game. Mechanics, driveability, vehicle capabilities... nothing matches IRL. I've never seen an 18 wheeler in real life take a sharp turn at 75mph (like I see on youtube videos) like I do in this game. It's a game.
Space_Night

#5 Post by Space_Night » 20 Nov 2021 18:42

dogugotw wrote: 17 Nov 2021 18:15 Right now I have only the demo version installed on a Mac.

I was hoping to use the sim to augment my actual CDL training class due to start in 2 months. The 3 areas I was most hoping to find were having the ability to do full pre-trip inspections (in cab and outside), hookup/disconnect, and backing.

It appears that only backing up is an option and that only as part of running a route (as opposed to a practice lot).

Am I correct or will I need the full up game to get the remaining two functions I want?

Please note, if I am right, it's not a killer. This is a game not a full simulator and I can understand why these pre/post trip features don't exist.

Thank you for the assist.
funny you should bring this up,

I took my HGV class 2 driving licence last year. the class 2 in the UK is the EU "cat C" equal to a CDL-B in the US or a Heavy Rigid licence for those in Australia, and used this with a rigid mod, (think i Purhcased a flemming V 4x2 BDF chassis on a renault premium to do the job as it was closest in shape to the DAF LF i was learning in) and then used the developer tool to cast a shadow in the yard to help me with my dog-leg bay reverse manouevre. then practiced that and other moves we had to do religiously.

Not sure if its that or the 10 years i had driving 7.5tonne rigids on multidrop which are a class 3 / Light Rigid / C1 licence but I passed it with 3 minor points.

If i recall Paul the Squirrel used MS Flight sim to help his procedural training for his PPL, so you could do a basic run through for your pretrip using the 0 cam to "walk" around the outside.

Here in the UK we have "B.L.A.C.K" as a flow aid for coupling.
read backwards -
Kingpin
Clip
Airlines (and elec)
Legs
Brakes

Dont forget the pull test. Back under the cab till you hear the pin go CLUNK, then lift the air slightly so your legs are just off the floor and attempt to drive forwards, (twice), if you just bog down and dont go anywhere, you're pin is secure in the jaws
VTXcnME

#6 Post by VTXcnME » 22 Nov 2021 18:21

MSFS is a whole different beast than this game. That, ain't this.

American truck simulator is a game. Nothing more. Nothing less.
Grizzly

#7 Post by Grizzly » 22 Nov 2021 23:50

Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
ilovevolvo

#8 Post by ilovevolvo » 04 Dec 2021 17:56

I would highly advice against that.... For reasons that would be redundant to state to anyone who has played this
when potholes and winter?
EllieODaire

#9 Post by EllieODaire » 06 Dec 2021 01:38

I played a lot of the game before I got my CDL back in 2016 and it's somewhat useful for learning the relationship of the cab and the trailer for driving/backing but it isn't going to help you on connect/disconnect training or pretripping at all.

For pretrip prep I personally found YouTube videos to be the biggest help. The company I drive for put out a pretty good series of videos on the pretrip last year if you're looking for anything helpful.
angrybirdseller

#10 Post by angrybirdseller » 06 Dec 2021 01:55

VTXcnME wrote: 22 Nov 2021 18:21 MSFS is a whole different beast than this game. That, ain't this.

American truck simulator is a game. Nothing more. Nothing less.
MSFS is download simulator could rent Cessna and fly around town and still have time clean the bugs off the windows and propellers before MSFS is done downloading the update.

At least ATS and ETS2 are short and sweet updates. The MSFS is overhyped.

Real life, driving truck knowing where back end of trailer, but learning to drive in snow is something only real life can teach you.

Even MSFS 2020 has flaws and control surfaces very hard to emulate have to fly real one.

No simulator is 100% accurate, but they give idea of basics of how to fly and drive.

Return to “General discussion about the game”