Colorado
42%
Wyoming
17%

Total votes: 226

flight50

Re: Favorite map expansion(s)

#11 Post by flight50 » 22 Nov 2021 17:43

For me newer has proven to be better. I like Wyoming a notch above Colorado. Colorado is king for mountains and mountain passes. I love the elevations that Colorado has. But Wyoming, those back roads are awesome. I'm a back roads traveler and Wyoming tops the others for me in these regards.
Tails

#12 Post by Tails » 22 Nov 2021 18:05

Colorado so far is my favorite map expansion at the moment while Wyoming is my second favorite state.
like to explore new areas of maps for both ATS and ETS2.

WOT profile https://worldoftrucks.com/en/profile/4885036
Freeze338

#13 Post by Freeze338 » 22 Nov 2021 18:18

Still Colorado. Texas or other DLC's can't change my mind. Maybe Montana will be better but currently Colorado is great as a hole.

Driveable road length is great and almost all roads are perfect to drive. It has geographically variety as well. Deserts, mountains, forests, rocks, plains... Well no wonder they call colorful.
Bedavd

#14 Post by Bedavd » 22 Nov 2021 19:38

Always be biased toward Washington, since that's where I am IRL. Would probably choose CO or WY otherwise, but I love seeing places I've actually been too in the game and tend to find myself back in Seattle sooner or later.
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
Tristman

#15 Post by Tristman » 22 Nov 2021 19:47

I think I need more time for Wyoming to settle. Perhaps I’ll like it more when we can access it through Montana.

Currently, it’s difficult to pinpoint one favorite. Colorado is just an excellent DLC and is probably undefeated in how versatile it is. It also has the most beautiful section of interstate in the game.
Washington is still an amazing DLC even though we’ve had 4 states since its release. I wonder if we will see another DLC that has so much content in the limited amount of space available.
Utah is the honorary mention. I love the scenery, it functions very well as a pass-through state, and it just holds a lot of sentimental value being the first upcoming DLC after I started playing ATS.

I can give arguments for all the other states as well:
New Mexico gave us another desert after Nevada and Arizona, but finally had that increase in polish and attention to detail that we’ve been seeing since.
Oregon gave us stunning forests and was the big one for the people who really value the game’s industries and cargo.
Idaho, while suffering from a difficult irl layout, gave us probably the best polish yet, with every city and scenic town being full of character.
And finally Wyoming, which in my opinion should make anyone leave the interstate and take the long way around to take in the views.

Every DLC leaves me wondering how SCS is going to do the next one without it feeling repetitive, or like they already peaked in their quality. At the same time, every new DLC has something that makes them have a unique charm to remember them by.
I am one of several people who is not sure how to feel about the Great Plains states. Logically, I would think they are going to be highly repetitive and need to be released alternating with the southern states headed to the east coast. At this point however, I will not be surprised if SCS again finds a way to give all those states their own charm.
SenseFM

#16 Post by SenseFM » 22 Nov 2021 19:59

I like all the DLCs, but my favorite ones are Washington and Colorado. Colorado has without a doubt the best mountain roads in the game and some of the best scenery, while Washington has lots of variety and a very dense road network while despite being the smallest DLC so far. I'd just put Washington slightly above Colorado because it has sea views and nice coastal roads (even a little ferry!). Wyoming on the other hand is also excellent, but I think Colorado is a bit better in terms of road network and scenery. I must say the rural and depopulated atmosphere of Wyoming seems to be perfectly captured in the DLC.
flight50

#17 Post by flight50 » 22 Nov 2021 21:43

Tristam-94 wrote: 22 Nov 2021 19:47 Washington is still an amazing DLC even though we’ve had 4 states since its release. I wonder if we will see another DLC that has so much content in the limited amount of space available.

Utah is the honorary mention. I love the scenery, it functions very well as a pass-through state, and it just holds a lot of sentimental value being the first upcoming DLC after I started playing ATS.
I totally agree on how jam backed Washington is. There will be more like it as we head East. Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, etc. For their size, they will be packed. Per square mile, I bet other states will test limits just like Washington.

Utah...sentimental. I totally agree. Utah has a special place for me as it introduced the new rock formation tools. That changed the face of mountains in ATS for me. Utah has awesome scenery but it has misses like Idaho. Both could have been better but they feel rushed to a degree. Washington, Colorado and Wyoming seem very polished to me.

Oregon and NM are cool as well but they are the 2 oldest paid dlc's and just don't have that same punch. Still very solid and fun. I wouldn't miss out on them though as they don't need much updating at all imo. Adding roads or new companies are welcomed though.
Tristman

#18 Post by Tristman » 22 Nov 2021 22:56

Let me just add some highlights for Oregon, because it has some places that still feel great to this day:
- The city of Portland, which feels massive to drive through.
- The town of Klamath Falls, which is very scenic and has an interesting road layout.
- I-84 between Portland and Pendleton is a beautiful drive.
- US-199 connecting to California is very pretty and recently got even better with the border inspection station.
- Roads that were added later and are absolutely stunning - OR-58 and OR-140.

I’m sure others could add on to that list with things that stand out to them.
Onagerlinn

#19 Post by Onagerlinn » 23 Nov 2021 19:48

I went with Colorado and Wyoming. Both are right at the top tied with each other. Wyoming beautifully captures the vast openness of the state, and Colorado's mountain passes, cities, and plains are all magnificently done.

However, all of the other DLCs are very, very good as well. Even four-year-old New Mexico holds up excellent.
flight50

#20 Post by flight50 » 23 Nov 2021 20:57

Tristam-94 wrote: 22 Nov 2021 22:56 I’m sure others could add on to that list with things that stand out to them.
For Oregon, yep. US-20. For some reason, I love those roads in Oregon. US-20 just feels open and long. I see Montana, Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa and the Dakota being more of US-20 in Oregon. Simple but some nice trucking.

Portland is great. It to me is what started the US cities to the detail level they are now. Albuquerque is cool and all but its not Portland, Seattle nor Denver. Moving forward, I think cities in ATS will be like wow...this is cool. Texas is w.i.p. California is to come. Phoenix, I hope gets a nice rework. Vegas is nice but could be polished up a tad more. This poll is about expansion though but I think the base map being on the level of paid dlc's will improve ATS overall to make connections from the expansion, now routes people will love to take vs excluding the base map. I think those connection routes will bring certain attention. OR-140/NV-140 is one of those routes that made Northern Nevada to Klamath Falls fun.

Washington's US-2, US-20 and US-12 was cool. It seemed like SCS was taking a stab at elevations and then Colorado blew the doors off.

Return to “General discussion about the game”