baked_model

Smarty
Beta tester

baked_model

#1 Post by Smarty » 28 Dec 2017 18:52

(Presumably a question for Max the Magnificent) Does the new 'baked model' feature only operate within each SCS object (i.e. combining pieces belonging to separate parts) or does it also combine pieces belonging to – for example – the cabin or chassis' respective accessories? I don't think I'll ever run into the vertex limit but just in case it's nice to know what scope I'm limited in. ;)
Max
SCS Software

Re: baked_model

#2 Post by Max » 28 Dec 2017 21:16

basically, it merges parts of geometry with same material and some other rendering data into single model. thus it could only be used on set of models with fixed relative placement to each other. its designed to be generic but currently its used primarily for truck part merging for speedup of rendering (less drawcalls) and creating baked "slices" of truck for each mirrors (~200k poly truck like new scania cannot be drawn many times efficiently without).
yes, it could merge truck and its accessories.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
Smarty
Beta tester

#3 Post by Smarty » 28 Dec 2017 23:54

Cool; So the mirror models are baked with backface/frustum culling pre-applied? How are you compensating for movement of the interior camera (player's angle to the mirror)? Are you just culling based on a wider frustum/flatter projection covering all plausible angles?

So it could also be applied to compounds in the map as long as they're not too large, right?

But yeah, this is a nice new feature, even if it has all of the high-poly guys grumbling. But they're silly anyway. Now I don't have to worry about draw calls from a bunch of accessories as long as I keep my material counts in-check ...which would be much easier if there was a flavour of dif.spec which could read shininess from a map and pre-multiply specular by a vertex colour channel. Or maybe just a PBR type effect — one material, soooo many possibilities! (hinty hint hint :P)

...Also, 200k!? I never thought I'd see the day where my truck models are lower poly than SCS'. Time to up my game I guess! :lol:
piva

#4 Post by piva » 29 Dec 2017 04:16

Here viewtopic.php?p=827370#p827370
Small comment from 50keda about baked model

EDIT.
When I'm add

Code: Select all

hide_in: 0x7E00
to the mirror accessory, I dot few FPS increase on my PC with very old Argosy model, but now it "baked".
Smarty
Beta tester

#5 Post by Smarty » 03 Jan 2018 13:31

Hey Max, how hard would it be for you guys to have baked models active in the truck/trailer browsers? It would be pretty useful for modders who use the mini-console to determine the performance impact of their truck/trailer mods (tc, dc, etc). I noticed the draw calls don't change depending on the state of g_baked_model in the trailer browser – even for trailers I know have multiple parts with the same materials due to variants.

Return to “Frequently Asked Question”