TUTORIAL - Running 2 Game Versions (ETS2/ATS) on the same PC and Steam Account - Steam

Tarso
Beta tester

TUTORIAL - Running 2 Game Versions (ETS2/ATS) on the same PC and Steam Account - Steam

#1 Post by Tarso » 23 Apr 2018 13:01

After long period of particular testing, i decided to share this method with you guys, so enjoy!

Tutorial for enabling 2 installs on the same PC running different version of SCS games using only STEAM VERSION:

1- Duplicate Steam folder under "Programs Files X86".
Important Note: This proccess will duplicate also all installed games, after this you can delete all unwanted duplicate games from the duplicated STEAM!
[ external image ]

2- Choose one to rename (see image above) and make it your 2nd install folder, now enter the new Steam folder and make a shortcut on desktop for the "Steam.exe". Rename for better recognition.
[ external image ]

3- Inside Documents folder create a folder for the new ATS and ETS2 folders be inside.
[ external image ]

4- (Optional) Copy all your ATS and ETS2 folders from original Documents folder so you can continue the game where you was. If you want to start from scratch do nothing and let the games create new folders on the first run.
[ external image ]

5- Put the start parameters on one of the Steam installs, making it separate completely both instalations.
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Parameters to copy(Change the Username and the name of the folder to the one you created on step 3):
ETS2
old parameter -64bit -homedir "C:\Users\Tarso\Documents\SCS beta profiles"
EDIT Feb 17th of 2019: ETS2 doesn't need anymore the -64bit start parameter since it already starts 64bit by default now
new parameter -homedir "C:\Users\Tarso\Documents\SCS beta profiles"

ATS
-homedir "C:\Users\Tarso\Documents\SCS beta profiles"

EDIT Feb 17th of 2019: Optional parameter for users of Workshop Mods, use this complimentary parameter ON YOUR TESTING STEAM if you have any workshop mod active, this way workshop mods won't interfere with your testing profile
-noworkshop

Remark: TruckersMP can only run with default Documents folder, so if that is your case use the new homedir folder for Beta testing profiles like i did.

EDIT Feb 17th of 2019
Remark 2: Cloud profiles could cause you problems using this method, i haven't yet solved the problem, so for safety keep at least your testing profile OFFLINE for now.

6- Now you`re done and should be able to run both Steam instalations sepparately (One at a time), the last step is to configure the beta tab of both instalations to decide what version goes where.

To run one of the installs you need to close the other one.
[ external image ]

Hope you enjoy!
Last edited by Tarso on 17 Feb 2019 14:09, edited 2 times in total.
TexasWhirlwind

Re: A way to have both Open Beta and Stable Build on the same PC

#2 Post by TexasWhirlwind » 29 Apr 2018 01:38

I have tried this 3 times and can not get it to work. It makes both game beta...
-.- -.-. ..... -- ...- ...-
natvander
SCS Software

#3 Post by natvander » 29 Apr 2018 01:43

Are you logging in to the Steam versions separately before running the game?
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Tarso
Beta tester

#4 Post by Tarso » 29 Apr 2018 09:33

TexasWhirlwind wrote: 29 Apr 2018 01:38 I have tried this 3 times and can not get it to work. It makes both game beta...
Step 6 - on each steam you should configure the beta tab, choose one to be OUT OF BETA and the other one to be in Open beta

Also on step 6 - you have to close one Steam in order to be able to open the other one, that is the only con the method have, but I couldn't find a way to avoid it
Trucker_71

Re: TUTORIAL - Running 2 Game Versions (ETS2/ATS) on the same PC and Steam Account - Steam

#5 Post by Trucker_71 » 30 Jun 2020 16:02

I struggled for over 5 hours last night with this and I can't separate the two versions even though they have different folder names and the two steam folders are on different physical drives. If I try to change one to no beta 1.37, both change. I think I'm screwed. :roll:
Tarso
Beta tester

Re: TUTORIAL - Running 2 Game Versions (ETS2/ATS) on the same PC and Steam Account - Steam

#6 Post by Tarso » 30 Jun 2020 16:34

Have you force closed one steam before running the other one?

Are you sure the desktop Icons point to different folders?
Bandit & The Snowman

#7 Post by Bandit & The Snowman » 30 Jun 2020 17:23

There's a disadvantage to simply duplicating your Steam folder (step 1). Many players have a large library of installed games which will get copied too, this can take very long and cause disk space problems. Better move the library one level up in the folder hierarchy (outside the Steam folder) and back later after duplication.
Trucker_71

#8 Post by Trucker_71 » 30 Jun 2020 19:31

Tarso wrote: 30 Jun 2020 16:34 Have you force closed one steam before running the other one?

Are you sure the desktop Icons point to different folders?
Yes and yes.
I've just spent another 4 hours with this and it doesn't work. I have separate icons and separate steam apps with separate launch options, and I go into task manager and end anything that says steam, then when I use either one of them, for some reason it creates a new vanilla American Truck Simulator folder "inside" the existing American Truck Simulator folder. Using the copy version does the same thing to the original American Truck Simulator folder. This is getting too crazy, I think I'll just uninstall everything and start over and forget about trying to run a 1.37 and a 1.38 version for the sake of the Dalton Alaska map! :oops: :oops: :cry:
Tarso
Beta tester

#9 Post by Tarso » 01 Jul 2020 03:32

@Bandit & The Snowman I tried something similar but then after running it started download what was removed, like it knew it should be there but corrupted due to not finding files it knew were installed before.

@Trucker_71 that's really odd, I currently use it with no problem and other testers too, wish I was closer to help you personally.
Bandit & The Snowman

#10 Post by Bandit & The Snowman » 01 Jul 2020 08:45

Weird, I’ve moved game folders before, not knowing Steam can move libraries, and all it did was verify the files. But I guess downloading a game again is better than copying a 1TB+ library for nothing. Obviously depends on someone’s library and internet connection. What about moving out just what doesn’t belong to ATS/ETS2?

Return to “Frequently Asked Question”