Merging onto interstate highways

TwinShadow

Re: Merging onto interstate highways

#11 Post by TwinShadow » 11 Jun 2020 06:12

Well, there's no law that says to move over to let anyone merge, but it is a nice gesture to do so. But I wouldn't mind if the some of the on/off ramps a little bit longer at times.
No longer actively posting on these forums. And no, don't PM unless I happen to know you.

daltontr

#12 Post by daltontr » 10 Sep 2020 12:37

TwinShadow wrote:
11 Jun 2020 06:12
But I wouldn't mind if the some of the on/off ramps a little bit longer at times.
+1

I don't use any traffic mods and I usually just bully my way onto the highway when necessary, but the AI have a terrible time of their own. Quite often the AI will bottle neck as the on ramp traffic is trying to merge with right lane traffic. This not only stacks up traffic on the on ramp, but also in the right hand lane. Once it starts happening, it tends to feed on itself, causing serious gridlock. The only way to clear it is to ESC, save and then restart.

Some newbie driver

#13 Post by Some newbie driver » 10 Sep 2020 17:50

TwinShadow wrote:
11 Jun 2020 06:12
Well, there's no law that says to move over to let anyone merge, but it is a nice gesture to do so.
I couldn't be so sure those laws doesn't exist (they can vary from country to country in case they exist, of course).

What it's sure is that, even if they exist, they would be that kind of laws hardly enforceable so people would keep behaving as if they don't exist: kind drivers would let you merge and "kings of the road" mor*** would keep blocking the lane.

The Old Fart

#14 Post by The Old Fart » 10 Sep 2020 19:49

Reading this got me to thinking, I wasn't sure anymore what the law actually was, although back in the 70s we were told in driving school that we should let people merge from on ramps.

Soooo, I looked up the Ontario Highway Traffic Act and there is actually no law requiring you to let others merge into traffic. It says you are in control of your lane and others must may merge when it is safe to do so. I agree with Some newbie driver, even if there was a law, you'd have to shoot a few people to make it stick!
Old Fart Trucking - I haul ass, and everything else!

Some newbie driver

#15 Post by Some newbie driver » 10 Sep 2020 21:49

I was told too at driving school to let them merge. I can't remember if by law or by good practices and I'm too lazy to check it out. What it's for sure is that any merging vehicle MUST give way to those in the main lane already (that's why the yield signal is placed on the merging lanes). That doesn't change the fact that other drivers should not just drive by themselves but help the rest of the vehicles in traffic to flow more smoothly (I'm almost sure that WAS a law in here).

That's the difference between kind people and "kings of the road" wannabes. First ones don't have any problem in doing a little maneuver so they can keep driving while easing others to do the same. "Kings of the road" think that the road is theirs and the others just should not exist so they couldn't bother the "kings". Police should be continuously following those kind of drivers all day; otherwise it doesn't matter how many laws there could exist, it's their ego who's in charge of the driving and no law on paper is going to change that.

Not so much ago I listened that in France they are going to "recruit" citizens to act as some kind of "traffic police", installing cameras or radars on their private cars. Go imagine the extremes they are arriving to try to get out the roads those mor*** at the drive wheel.

Regards

TwinShadow

#16 Post by TwinShadow » 10 Sep 2020 22:24

Normally I'm not a nice person on the road, depends on what's happening around me. If someone gives me a heads up that they need the lane I'm in with a blinker before moving, sure I'll slow down or something and let someone through. But if someone forces their way in front of me, then I won't be nice for that person again. I'm especially not nice on double-turn lanes; the lane I'm in is the one I need soon, or very soon and I'll be damn if someone tries to cut me off because they realized a second too late that they need that absolute first right turn. Sorry buddy, I'm not nice, you should of been in the correct lane to begin with.

Anyway, I never went to driving school. Taught myself on a lot of things and did a ton of reading. Far as I'm aware, in my area, there is no law regarding merging, only that the yield signs are there for the merging lane. There are a couple lanes that end shortly after, so normally I'm a bit nicer on those as long as someone speeds up to the appropriate speed for the highway.

Nothing irritates me more than when people decide last second and cut me off because they instead wanted to go straight instead of turning, or realized too late they were in the wrong lane to begin with.
No longer actively posting on these forums. And no, don't PM unless I happen to know you.

Return to “Frequently Asked Question”