Storage Drives

Some newbie driver

Re: Storage Drives

#11 Post by Some newbie driver » 26 Jul 2020 10:31

To change from HDD to any SSD it's a huge jump, if you had gone directly to M.2 NVMe (if that's your exact kind of drive) I'm sure you had thought "WHY oh WHY I didn't did it before!" :lol: My changes were more gradually and I didn't noticed them so much because the big change is between HDD and anything else, and I did it lots of years ago (paying for my first SSD it's weight in gold :o )

The SLC, MLC... you mention are another of the details to look, for sure. But I use to avoid entering in such deep details for regular users. Funny thing is those technologies, that are the main responsible of the memory chips price drop, are also the responsible that some of the actual SSD are worse than first ones (it's like the technology evolution in reverse). But they do it because it has sense, because regular applications for those disks doesn't require so much performance as a good SLC SSD can deliver and people use to need a good capacity at a fair price over that extra performance.

Simplifying a lot, anybody purchasing a computer on 2020 that comes with an HDD as main drive is being scammed; by the vendor or by itself. So big is the difference that HDD should already be a niche piece of hardware for very specific needs rarely found on domestic computers. But beyond the DRAM presence or not, the possibility of NVMe ones if your computer is modern and avoiding shady companies with floored prices, the regular user should not heat up their brain searching the perfect SSD.

Regards

plykkegaard

#12 Post by plykkegaard » 26 Jul 2020 11:18

Some newbie driver wrote:
26 Jul 2020 10:31
... the regular user should not heat up their brain searching the perfect SSD.
Not if it is prebuild or even then you need to pick your brain a little as you have a wide range of brands and sub brands

For home builders:
I don't know today but early adaptions of the M.2 technology had some issues with incompatibilty, an issue you don't have with SSDs or HDDs afaik
I took me a bit by surprise as I couldn't get the M.2 disk I would have liked for a build of my own I did some years ago
Office moved to Fort Collins, Colorado

room217au

#13 Post by room217au » 26 Jul 2020 11:42

Some newbie driver wrote:
26 Jul 2020 09:37
There are M.2 motherboard connectors that allow only SATA M.2 drives, some that allow only NVMe M.2 drives and some that allow both kind.
I went from HDD to SSD about a year ago, and a m/b + PSU upgrade about a month ago, sees my desktop cold boot in 7 seconds. I'm all kinds of impressed about that :)
With the M.2 types, in my book it's always good to explore new possibilities, even if an upgrade is required.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts.. do.

supersobes
Global moderator

#14 Post by supersobes » 27 Jul 2020 01:44

I'm not understanding the benefit of an SSD with an M.2 configuration over a 2.5 inch configuration. For example, there's this SSD and this SSD. They're exactly the same; they have the same read and write speeds, the same capacity, and they're the same price. The only difference is that one of them is a an M.2 configuration and the other is a 2.5 inch configuration. While it's not specified on the website page, after a bit of digging, I found sources that show that both of these SSDs have a DRAM cache as well.

plykkegaard

#15 Post by plykkegaard » 27 Jul 2020 04:46

Look for NVME / PCI-e
Also with the compatibility list in the MB docs which drives are supported
M.2 has an option for higher transfer rates than SATA as it is connected to the PCI bus

xXCARL1992Xx

#16 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 27 Jul 2020 08:33

M.2 is just a different way to connect your SSD, the one you showed is an SSD with B+M connector, so it can be placed in EVERY motherboard regardless if it is a B or M slot

M.2 is better suited for NVMe drives that can reach even higher write/read speed but for the normal user are pretty much irrelevant, you wont really notice the difference between a SATA SSD and an NVMe SSD even if the NVMe one is faster in theory

also, some motherboard will lose 1 or 2 sata ports if m.2 is used, some board wont loos any, for this you should read up the manual of the board to be certain, i lost 2 SATA ports in favor of 1 m.2 slot where my Samsung 970Pro NVMe is in
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |

plykkegaard

#17 Post by plykkegaard » 27 Jul 2020 09:00

Samsung 970 EVO plus gives you IOPS: 480.000 (read) / 550.000 (write) vs Samsung 860 EVO IOPS: 98.000 (read) / 90.000 (write)
Given that the system supports it you should at least see the same improvement as with a change from HDD to SDD (my guess)

xXCARL1992Xx

#18 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 27 Jul 2020 09:05

theory is nice and good but i dont care about lab founded writes/reads made under perfect conditions with test no user does in real life (copying large files in GB territory between NVMe and SATA the whole day)

if you play a game you wont notice the difference between a SATA 6gb/s SSD and an NVMe, if this was the case i would have the same lag problem i had with the games installed on an SSD and the save files stored on an HDD and i dont
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |

plykkegaard

#19 Post by plykkegaard » 27 Jul 2020 09:21

OS startuo and game load or games saves, not so much during game play

As a side note I advices a gamer with 64 gb mem to create a RAM disk for ETS2 to aviod suttering during saves, it helped at lot as to no stutter at all
Since then I believe SCS fixed that specific issue

xXCARL1992Xx

#20 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 27 Jul 2020 09:31

nothing will change, OS startup and game startup are not large files that are loaded, Windows 10 itself already boot up fast on an SSD and it didnt change with the NVMe, game loads is the same, the numbers they have are when you transfer 5GB single files between them, then you will reach this speeds, not when transferring thousands of files with different sizes

so an NVMe isnt needed and Supersobs can just go with a normal SATA SSD, if it is M.2 or not doesnt matter, the limit is that it is a SATA SSD

Return to “Frequently Asked Question”