Storage Drives

plykkegaard

Re: Storage Drives

#21 Post by plykkegaard » 27 Jul 2020 10:38

An example: A prebuild desktop with a Ryzen 7 2700X CPU on a ROG strix Board with a Samsung PM981 M.2 SSD as primary drive
Win 10 loads noticable faster than my T570 laptop (unspecified SSD) or my desktop with a Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Many other factors are in play, this is obvious :)
Office moved to Fort Collins, Colorado

Some newbie driver

#22 Post by Some newbie driver » 28 Jul 2020 19:59

supersobes wrote:
27 Jul 2020 01:44
I'm not understanding the benefit of an SSD with an M.2 configuration over a 2.5 inch configuration. For example, there's this SSD and this SSD. They're exactly the same
You don't understand the benefit because you are mixing things, @supersobes

M.2 is just a connector format; if your motherboard (or an expansion card) has it, you can plug M.2 devices in there. But how it works the communication of devices connected into the M.2 slot is what really makes the difference.

As I said earlier, there's M.2 slots that allow NVMe drives to be plugged in; those are A LOT faster than normal drives. But other M.2 slots allow only SATA devices, those are functionally identical than the regular SATA drives that you plug with the same cables you use on your current 1TB drive. That's why you don't see any difference between those 2 drives you link, you are right, both are identical SATA devices packed in a different format. The only benefit of using the M.2 drive in this case is that they are smaller and don't require to have power and data cables in the middle of your tower. Not so much a benefit unless you care a lot about aesthetics inside your PC (when talking of regular towers; the small form factor of M.2 drives is very useful on laptops or other mobile devices, of course).

Also, another detail that people has to have in mind when purchasing M.2 drives is that they are different standard sizes (width is always the same, but they change in length). As the drive has to be secured in place with an screw on the opposite side of the M.2 slot, each motherboard should specify which models (lengths) are compatible with the holes for those screws that are on the motherboard.

If I remember well from when you had your computer problems with the game, you had a Dell or HP premade tower "mid-tier" (good hardware but no "gaming gibberish") and it had approx 4 years. So, If I recall well enough, probably your computer has no M.2 NVMe slots, maybe M.2 SATA slots at much. If I would be right, there's no point for you to purchase an M.2 SSD, you can upgrade with a regular 2,5" SATA SSD and done. If I'm wrong guessing and your computer has M.2 NVMe slot, then it's an interesting option for the upgrade; but you will have to check twice with the computer specifications to be sure you don't purchase a wrong model that doesn't fit.

Regards

PS: And about the topic that if an NVMe is a lot better than an SSD; over the paper they are of course. But on the daily basis the difference isn't so big because software use to request a bunch of data and do something with it before request another bunch of data to the drive. That "do something" cuts the continuous transmission of the data that would be the scenario where the NVMe one would surpass a lot any SATA drive. As isn't an usual scenario, the difference isn't so notable than between regular HDD and any kind of SSD (the difference in performance there is abyssal, even just considering cheap SATA SSD).

Jatruck

#23 Post by Jatruck » 07 Sep 2020 15:04

This is an example:

supersobes
Global moderator

#24 Post by supersobes » 20 Sep 2020 19:25

So I have an SSD now, but I have not installed it yet. I'm still wondering about the library with all of the user's information that ETS2 and ATS create in the documents folder. If I didn't want to move my Windows installation to the SSD and instead use the SSD and the HDD in tandem, would I be able to move this library to the SSD even if Windows remains on the HDD? I know it's fairly simple to move the game installation to the SSD via Steam, but what about libraries in the documents folder? Can I tell the game to put these files in a different location such as a new folder on my SSD?

xXCARL1992Xx

#25 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 20 Sep 2020 19:27

you do it via homedir

this is what i have in my shortcut

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 227300 -homedir "D:\SCS\\" -nointro -mm_max_resource_size 100 -mm_max_tmp_buffers_size 1000
and inside D:\SCS\ are my Euro Truck Simulator 2 and American Tuck Simulator folders
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |

supersobes
Global moderator

#26 Post by supersobes » 20 Sep 2020 19:35

@xXCARL1992Xx Thanks! Do I add that parameter to the launch options in Steam or to the "Target" field in the shortcut properties?

Image Image

xXCARL1992Xx

#27 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 20 Sep 2020 19:36

if you have only 1 shortcut use the steam launcher, if you have more then 1 shortcut put it in the target field
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |

Jatruck

#28 Post by Jatruck » 21 Sep 2020 08:28

@supersobes It's recommended that you install Windows and programs in the SSD (as well your "My documents" folder with ATS and ETS2), so you can take the advantages of it ;)

You can use your HDD just for storage. For example, cloning your HDD to SSD and then format HDD for storage usage.

plykkegaard

#29 Post by plykkegaard » 21 Sep 2020 09:23

As an example my PC has two SSDs and a HD used as storage
One SSD for System and one SSD for user data
Office moved to Fort Collins, Colorado

supersobes
Global moderator

#30 Post by supersobes » 21 Sep 2020 11:47

I understand that having the operating system on the SSD is better than the HDD. However, I did some research on the topic of drive cloning, and I found that it can be problematic if you clone different types of drives. For example, it would be just fine if you clone a HDD to another HDD or an SSD to another SSD, but it may lead to problems if you clone a HDD to an SSD because Windows is setup in such a way that it is optimized for the HDD. The best way to get Windows on the SSD is to do a clean install, which is a lot of work and time. That's something I can't really do right now because I also need to use this computer for work, so resetting Windows and having to reinstall and reconfigure everything isn't really an opinion for me right now. Eventually I may decide to switch Windows to my SSD as well, but for the time being, I think it would be best if I just move the files and programs that I need to it.

Return to “Frequently Asked Question”