Storage Drives

Jatruck

Re: Storage Drives

#31 Post by Jatruck » 21 Sep 2020 13:54

When Windows detects a SSD then applies automatically these optimizations. There is no problem.

If you want a safer way than cloning, you can use this software to make an image of your HDD and then you can restore it to the SSD:

Macrium Reflect

Note: Use an external disk as destination of the HDD image.

xXCARL1992Xx

#32 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 21 Sep 2020 13:59

this is also a cloning software, cloning from an HDD to an SSD should NEVER be done because they both work fundamentally different from each other, if an upgrade from HDD to SSD is done, it is always better to make a direct clean install of windows, and do it then with GPT and not MBR (Windows 8 and newer) because the limits of 4 partition and 2TB only doesnt exist anymore with GPT
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |

supersobes
Global moderator

#33 Post by supersobes » 21 Sep 2020 14:08

I don't think I'm going to do drive cloning. The more I look into, it just seems too sketchy. I don't want to do that to my computer. If I need to change the drive that operating system is installed on, I'll do it manually.

I did finish installing ETS2 and ATS on my new drive though. I haven't driven around in-game yet, but I did test it to make sure that it can read and write all of the correct files in the correct location. It seems to be working so far! :D

Jatruck

#34 Post by Jatruck » 21 Sep 2020 14:14

The software is for both cloning or backup as HDD image file.

You CAN restore from a HDD to a SSD perfectly. The only optimization that Windows applies is disable defragmentation and prefetch/superfetch and enable TRIM. That's all. You can do it easily if Windows doesn't applies them automatically (usually it does). I also would disable index searching.

There is no need for GPT, as supersobes probably doesn't have a >2 TB SSD, and 4 primary partitions doesn't affects too (the SSD is just for operating system).

I can assure it works because I did it several times and all is fine, tested an re-tested :D

@supersobes It's very fast with imaging and restoring ;)
Last edited by Jatruck on 21 Sep 2020 14:16, edited 1 time in total.

xXCARL1992Xx

#35 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 21 Sep 2020 14:15

also, cloning will put all the s**t back on your new SSD, i would never clone anything other then to rescue a drive if possible, always clean install, or a clean install image of Windows you can make right after you installed it with all necessary drivers, make a recovery image and save it on a large enough USB drive so you can use it, only downside with this is you will be stuck with this one version of windows and have to do the upgrade manually or create a new recovery image every time

i would never install a system in MBR, always GPT because of UEFI and why should i use the inferior method if i can future prove to begin with ?

also, i wouldnt disable indexing because then the PC will take ages to search for stuff on it
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |

Jatruck

#36 Post by Jatruck » 21 Sep 2020 14:33

There is no need to search if you have your files and folders in order :P

supersobes
Global moderator

#37 Post by supersobes » 21 Sep 2020 14:39

xXCARL1992Xx wrote:
21 Sep 2020 14:15
i would never install a system in MBR, always GPT because of UEFI and why should i use the inferior method if i can future prove to begin with ?
This is the exact reason why I chose the GPT partition style when Windows asked me how I wanted my new SSD formatted. While it's true that I don't have two terabytes of data or more than four partitions, I found that GPT is the preferred method nowadays because it is more robust as it is faster and more stable and could prove useful for things in the future.

Jatruck

#38 Post by Jatruck » 21 Sep 2020 14:56

GPT is just safer, in theory, because it makes backup of disk information (partitions,...) in every partition, and not only in MBR (first disk sector). Also the > 2 TB and > 4 primary partitions things.

But for a SSD < 2 TB and just for operating system is irrelevant. If a SSD fails it's almost impossible to restore any information from it. From a HDD it's possible with forensic techniques.

xXCARL1992Xx

#39 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 21 Sep 2020 15:11

GPT is the new standard, there is no reason why you should still use MBR other then you use a 32bit system or compatibility with old hardware/software (Windows XP set up for example) the rest should use GPT as it is the new standard and as Supersobs said more resilient against corruption

Return to “Frequently Asked Question”