Couple of questions about ATS, thank you

mercster

Couple of questions about ATS, thank you

#1 Post by mercster » 07 Aug 2017 09:46

Hello,

Yesterday I received my new wheel/pedal set (Thrustmaster T150) and I love it! I had to reinstall Windows soon after, which means I had to start the game all over (even registering with World of Trucks did not save my progress). I have two questions, that I would be much obliged if someone could address or answer:

1) When I first started with American Truck Simulator, I was using the Thrustmaster Ferrari Red Legend wheel/pedal set. I know when you start the game, you have to drive for other companies. Now, my mind is like a trap, and my memory is better: when I started ATS with the old wheel, on "Sequential Manual" mode, I KNOW that the trucks I drove were 6-speed manuals. I remember this like it was yesterday and I am sure of it. When I started ATS again, with the new T150 wheel, in a new installation of Windows, all the trucks offered to me are at least 10-16 gear. I know that my settings were set to Sequential in both instances (using the paddle shifters on the wheels). Why is it in this new installation I have no 6-speed available to me? I know, I know guys...16 gear transmission is more realistic. And I'm OK with that! But as a logical guy who is in the IT field, I can't square why when I first started this game with the other wheel, 6-speed was the max. Now I am forced to re-learn with 10-16 gears. I can find no setting in the options that explains this change.

2) My old wheel had 90 degrees rotation. My new wheel, the Thrustmaster T150, has 1080 degrees of rotation. This means that when I am in a turn, the paddle shifters move with the wheel and I get confused. If my wheel is turned 180 degrees, the paddle on the left becomes "Shift Up" and the paddle on the right becomes "Shift Down". I have a hard time keeping track of this. Any thoughts on how to manage this confusion? I thought of a game setting perhaps, which tracks how far the wheel has turned and switches the paddle shifters, so that I can always rely on "left paddle" to shift down and "right paddle" to shift up. How do you guys manage this?

TL;DR - Why do I only get 10-16 gear trucks to drive now, when before I had 6-gear trucks, even from the beginning? And how do you guys deal with the fact that, when you turn your wheel, the paddle shifters become swapped?

Thanks a lot, sorry for the newbie questions. I've never driven a truck so I'm just looking for some help. :)

Merc

Double post merged into this post

Hey I saw this was moved to Wheel and Pedal discussions; thank you! I am new to the boards. Could it also be put in another category, such as "newbie help" or something? I don't want it to be buried in an unread-thread. And most of my question was actually about the choice of trucks in the beginning; I'm sure when I started before, it was mostly 6-gear trucks, now it isn't. :) Thanks for the help!

Triple post merged into this post

Also my question was about ATS, not ETS. Thanks!
Last edited by Flemming V on 07 Aug 2017 10:28, edited 4 times in total.
xXCARL1992Xx

Re: Couple of questions about ATS, thank you

#2 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 07 Aug 2017 11:03

i only play ATS for 1 month but i think it depends on the truck you get in quickjob, if you get a small one you have a smaller gearbox, is the truck bigger then you have your 10 to 16 gears

to the shifter paddels, i use them for the indicator you just have to turn them in you mind if you turn your wheel, a game setting to switch them while turning doesnt exist

edit: why didnt you back up your ATS folder in "My Documents" then you dont have to restart every time you reinstall Windows

WoT only stores infos about your WoT deliveries not your savegame
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
rookie31st

#3 Post by rookie31st » 08 Aug 2017 16:31

1) When you take Quick Jobs, you can get any gearbox depending on a truck
2) Maybe marking them somehow would help? Colored tape or write +/- signs on corresponding paddle?
Have a mature suggestion to improve American Truck Simulator? Fahgettaboudit!
Max
SCS Software

#4 Post by Max » 08 Aug 2017 16:48

1) gearboxes used on quickjobs are 10-, 13- and 18- speed eatons.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
Llewelyn

#5 Post by Llewelyn » 13 Aug 2017 11:17

with my new 1080° wheel I have the on-linearity set to minimum (effectively, off) which I find OK. The old wheel with less travel could be a bit twitchy. Make sure sensitivity is set to max.

Once on the move, you rarely move the wheel more than about 45 degrees, so the left/right paddle swap is only an issues at low speeds when maneuvering. Of course, the best answer is "get an H shifter" :D

by the by, if cost is an issue, you can likely pick up a s/h Logitech G25 or G27 H shifter, and buy an adapter from Leo Bodnar, which lets you plug the shifter direct into the USB - you then add it as a second controller in the game setup: so you have "Keyboard and thurstmaster T150" with "+ logitech G25 shifter". Leo Bodnar also has a nice little app you can download to re-calibrate the shift points on the G25/etc so it shifts reliably - something which was always a bit dodgy on mine even when new.
Max
SCS Software

#6 Post by Max » 07 Nov 2017 15:05

its command line parameter, so if you have some non-default there it will be in your batch or icon shortcut, or in steam command line params.
either way it should not be used anymore as memory pool manager could handle things typically better now.
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.

Return to “Help center - player to player”