Help me <ERROR> [baked_model]

dmitry68

Help me <ERROR> [baked_model]

#1 Post by dmitry68 » 24 Oct 2017 15:23

Code: Select all

<ERROR> [baked_model] Pieces using same material and parameter packets have different vertex buffer layout
<ERROR> [baked_model] Creation of 'chassis' baked model failed
<ERROR> [baked_model] Pieces using same material and parameter packets have different vertex buffer layout
<ERROR> [baked_model] Creation of 'cabin' baked model failed
With what can these red lines be connected in the game log?
1.29_beta
Sorry my English
piva

Re: Help me <ERROR> [baked_model]

#2 Post by piva » 24 Oct 2017 15:48

I saw the same error with Volvo VNL by Aradeth, but I do not know how to react on this error, because SCS nothing say about "new render" engine, and we don't have any documentation from SCS.
@SCS - can you employ technical writer against shirt trader?
Komat
SCS Software

#3 Post by Komat » 30 Oct 2017 17:12

That model has two pieces which are using the same material (i.e. the same mat file) while having a different configuration of vertex data. For example different number of texture coordinates, different mapping of UV streams to texture coordinates, presence of tangent data.
dmitry68

#4 Post by dmitry68 » 30 Oct 2017 19:23

I'm in a quiet shock :o
edit:
Do I understand correctly? If I use one mat. file for the external model and interior, now I get this error. It's kind of optimization.?
Sorry my English
50keda
SCS Software

#5 Post by 50keda » 31 Oct 2017 08:15

Nope nothing to do with exterior vs. interior. It means exactly what komat wrote.

Now my question is: Is thist Volvo VNL by Aradeth compatible with OpenGL?
My guess is that mods with this issue will have similar roots as mods crashing on OpenGL. Not providing proper UV layers for all objects .. or simply said corrupted data :)
piva

#6 Post by piva » 31 Oct 2017 08:48

So you mean, that now, if model compatible with DirectX, it must run under OpenGL without changes?
Komat
SCS Software

#7 Post by Komat » 31 Oct 2017 09:31

No. If model is correct, it would run under both DirectX and OpenGL without issues. If model only works with DirectX, there is something wrong with it. In many cases the DirectX will silently allow malformed setups which in turn might cause a undefined behavior. It might appear to work on your GPU/driver however that might change in the future. On the other hand OpenGL usually requires correct setup and will do not draw anything if there is error. Or we might detect the error when trying to prepare OpenGL setup.

If we eventually implement Vulcan rendering, such corrupted models will likely cause even bigger issues such as game crash or GPU hang.
BK Vissers

#8 Post by BK Vissers » 31 Oct 2017 11:52

50keda wrote: 31 Oct 2017 08:15 Now my question is: Is thist Volvo VNL by Aradeth compatible with OpenGL?
Yes it is, if we’re talking about his VNL 670. I am on a Mac and use OpenGL.

[ external image ]Jan 0180 by Vissers Group, on Flickr
Komat
SCS Software

#9 Post by Komat » 01 Nov 2017 00:01

In that case it is possible that the model itself is valid however it is done in way which is incompatible with the baked model.

For example if material is using two texture coordinates, it is possible that model has a part which contains different values in both coordinates so it needs two separate uv streams and then it can have part in which both texture coordinates should contain the same values so it was set in the modeling tool to share single uv stream for both texture coordinates. Or one part can use first uv stream for first coordinate and second stream for second coordinate while other part can use second uv stream for first coordinate and first stream for second coordinate.

In that case the model will be technically correct however the baked_model will reject it as it can not convert layouts and having more than one layout for the same material would generate unnecessary draw calls which goes against the main purpose of the baked model.

I think that it should be possible to improve the error reporting in this case to simplify finding the incompatible parts.
piva

#10 Post by piva » 01 Nov 2017 03:47

Komat wrote: 01 Nov 2017 00:01 I think that it should be possible to improve the error reporting in this case to simplify finding the incompatible parts.
Thanks, now I understand you.

Return to “Help center - player to player”