Processor thread count

Deranged_Maester

Processor thread count

#1 Post by Deranged_Maester » 25 Oct 2020 01:39

Ok, so I'm fine tuning my buffer/resource launch options at an attempt again to get rid of the micro stuttering.

While looking at the log file I noticed something that could be an issue with my setup, but I'm unsure because of the wording.
(highlighted section, ignore the loading buffers. That's not actually highlighted, it's my UDL in notepad++)
[ external image ]

If I take the highlighted values at face value 4 + 3 + 3 = 10.

So, is it meaning 10 logical cores, or 10 threads on X number of cores?

The reason I ask is because, I use Process Lasso and lock my entire system to logical cores 0-3 when a game runs. I then lock my game to logical cores 4-11 and give it elevated I/O status, and elevated processing status. Problem is.. if the game 'thinks' it's using 4 logical cores, and 3 logical cores, plus 3 additional logical cores then I need to lock my system to logical cores 0-1 and my game to 2-11.

That's not a problem, but if the game is using 'threads' in terms of running processes and not logical cores no benefit will be had. If however it means logical cores, then I'm starving the game by 2 logical cores at the moment and that could account for stuttering.

Hope this makes sense, I stink at explaining things :o
Madkine
Global moderator

Re: Processor thread count

#2 Post by Madkine » 25 Oct 2020 06:50

It's number of threads, not cores. ATS and ETS2 are mostly mono core, some secondary functions now run on another core(s).

What advantage do you gain by locking the game to certain cores?
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Deranged_Maester

Re: Processor thread count

#3 Post by Deranged_Maester » 25 Oct 2020 07:17

The advantage is the full processing of that core for the game. As I have it setup right now:

Cores 0-3 are system processes only (windows 10 and music)
Cores 4-5 are games,steam, and monitoring software (Aida 64 or msi afterburner depending on the game)
Cores 6-11 Game processes only.

I sometimes run a ramdisk with certain games (ATS one of them) then I assign the cores like this:
Cores 0-3 are system processes only (windows 10 and music)
Cores 4-5 are amd ramdisk with background save enabled,steam, and monitoring software (Aida 64 or msi afterburner depending on the game)
Cores 6-11 Game processes only.

I could just lump the ramdisk software on the system cores, but I've noticed sometimes the games will write a ton of files to the ramdisk and have seen a speak into the 70% as it shifts 16gb of data to the hard disk periodically.

Thanks for the info btw. I had noticed the single core runnning 80%+, but I've also noticed that load shifting between cores so I was worrying that I was 'starving' the game.

Return to “Help center - player to player”