Image and texture saving

KINGPINN

Image and texture saving

#1 Post by KINGPINN » 18 Mar 2021 17:17

I was wandering if anyone had a definitive answer as to which dds files needed to be saved with MIP maps and which ones don't?

I.e. do the base DDS files for trucks (the one on uv map 0) need it? Do light mask DDS files need it? Etc.
xXCARL1992Xx

Re: Image and texture saving

#2 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 18 Mar 2021 17:19

all world textures need mipmaps, UI doesnt need them, mip maps is just your texture in 12 i think different sizes saved in your image for the game to use on more distant objects
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
paulieGTR

#3 Post by paulieGTR » 21 Mar 2021 11:15

What @xXCARL1992Xx said.

But beware, one thing to note:
The 'more' mipmaps you use, the harder the 'CPU' has to work.
The 'less' mipmaps you use the harder the 'GPU' has to work.
So it's always trying to find a balance that's good for you andor the people you may want to share it with... but above all,
what's GOOD for the game engine.

Reason being:
More mips = cpu working out, for a better term... LOD's or details.
Less mips = GPU working to display an always higher image quality.

Cockpit/Cabin textures should always have less, or no mips, since you want that good image all the time because you are right there looking at it.
Wheel textures on the other hand could have more mips, because you won't always be seeing them close up and the same goes for trailers, like when
you see them in your mirrors.

Personally speaking, whenever I've done a car or a truck skin that 'only i'll be using' in... eg. assettocorsa or scs truck sims.
I never use anything more than possibly five to six mips and that's only because I want that higher detail texture more, or at all times.

Saying that...
re. your questions, check how many mipmaps that the original game texture or equivalent has and either save with the same number or...
Win10pro/X299pro/i9.10920X/64gbQC/Antec 1Kw SigPlat/3090 TUF/27" triples multimon2
T500-alu shifter+Eaton knob-GTomegaPro-318ti Dash-ProGauge-BU0836x BBox-tir5+tc pro-924 seat
room217au

#4 Post by room217au » 21 Mar 2021 23:30

I'm assuming that the number of MIPS affects file size too?
If you suck at playing the trumpet, that's probably why.

Return to “Help center - player to player”