headlight distances.

Llewelyn

headlight distances.

#1 Post by Llewelyn » 05 Aug 2017 14:20

OK, so I updated my AI headlights mod for version 1.28.x, which you can find in the mods file. Now all (I hope) the vehicles have reasonable looking light from the headlamps.

However, there 's still the issue that this emitted light (which illuminates the road, etc.) is only visible up to about 200m (guesstimate). This rather spoils night driving, especially with vehicles approaching you: It looks like they suddenly turn on their headlamps.

I tried setting light visibility distance to "miles away" (edited config file and used factor of 4, where 0.25=low and 1=high) and you can see the vehicle lights and illuminated signs a long way off, which is kinda nice: in clear weather, lights *are* visible for a long distance. But that doesn't affect the light pattern on the road. Neither does another setting:

Code: Select all

uset g_light_span_factor "4"
which I set to 4 also as changing the in-game menu setting alters that the same as light visibility

2 questions:
1) what does g_light_span_factor do? I couldn't see any obvious difference in game.
2) where is the emitted light visibility defined, and can we alter it?
(ok, 3 questions...)
3) in older versions, AI lights were defined in each vehicle. more recently, that definition is not there any more, although you can insert it (I actually use a single definition in a .sui file) and it still works. However, I assume the AI headlight beam settings are defined centrally now, so where is that? It'd be much easier to mod :)

I realise there's likely a performance hit for making the lights visible at longer distance - but I can work with that
sandrisgtr

Re: headlight distances.

#2 Post by sandrisgtr » 23 Nov 2017 15:02

SCS Please make an adjustable low beam!!! In both games!

Return to “Technical Problems”