Game will not start at all, no matter what

undertakerfreak

Game will not start at all, no matter what

#1 Post by undertakerfreak » 09 Aug 2017 05:04

This just started out of nowhere. I go to run the game, and a box comes up stating "American Truck Simulator has stopped working." I've tried reinstalling three times, running in safe mode, nothing. Any other ideas? If it's worth mentioning, I opened the game with OpenGL and it loaded, albeit terribly.
IonutL

Re: Game will not start at all, no matter what

#2 Post by IonutL » 09 Aug 2017 08:32

For more debugging options, you'll need to provide the content of the following two files, located in ~Documents/American Truck Simulator folder:gamelog.txt and crashlog.txt (if it was created). You can use a service such as www.pastebin.com to do just that.
Llewelyn

Re: Game will not start at all, no matter what

#3 Post by Llewelyn » 13 Aug 2017 11:04

That's a real ladydog when that happens, I had it recently due to some file or something. If Steam, I would verify the files and then completely empty the mod directory, also unsub from any steam workshop. That should get you back to completely stock. You can find the SW files on your system: on mine they are in ""C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\270880"" (that number may be different on yours) and I guess deleting the local files would force steam to re-download. Mind, you can get new problems then if something is no longer on SW but was still in your local files.

The other thing to check is windows drivers for display, controllers etc. It's very hard to track down if, as with mine, nothing showed in the game log (which you can read) - a crash dump (that crashlog.txt) can be useful to SCS but I've never found it much good for ordinary mortals who don't know the code under the hood.

Worth looking in gamelog.txt for anything that says ERROR - it might give a clue. In my case, I could get to the opening screen but one profile was terminally broken - even loading older saves from a few days previous didn't work. I did eventually decide that it was something outside of ATS (some windows issue with the controller) that was causing it and suddenly that profile worked again. The odd part was that a brand new profile loaded OK: I guess, 'cos it was set keyboard-only, due to ATS not finding the controller.

Return to “Technical Problems”