Game stays open after exiting

llh

Game stays open after exiting

#1 Post by llh » 13 Apr 2020 21:12

The game stays open after closing the game. You have to force close Steam through the Task Manager in order to open it again. Every time. I've uninstalled/reinstalled, safe mode, removed FFB plugin, removed launch parameters. I've tried everything I can think of. I found someone else with the same problem and he hasn't been able to sort it either.

It's driving me mad.

Log https://pastebin.com/y4EgftEp

I'm wondering if 00:00:10.253 : <ERROR> Failed to store profile config is the cause.

Last edited by llh on 13 Apr 2020 23:14, edited 3 times in total.
Some newbie driver

Re: Game stays open after exiting

#2 Post by Some newbie driver » 13 Apr 2020 21:17

It has to be something related to plugins that you didn't uninstall well or that its uninstaller (if any) didn't remove correctly. So the .exe remains open because it can't handle properly the closing of some .dll

It shouldn't be anything related to mods or to launch parameters.

I never need or want to see how plugins are added to the game, thus I can't give you a proper advise. But if I had to bet, I'll look for garbage on the Windows registry.

Regards

PS: BTW, uploading a gamelog.txt could help with your problem. Or not, but it's a necessary first step if you really want help.
J. Ritter

#3 Post by J. Ritter » 15 Apr 2020 12:42

I'm gonna bump this for llh's sake, and there is a log attached?
Madkine
Global moderator

#4 Post by Madkine » 15 Apr 2020 21:25

The log was added after Newbie's comment.

The log however doesn't show anything apart from a normal shutdown 10 secs after opening the game.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Some newbie driver

#5 Post by Some newbie driver » 15 Apr 2020 22:55

In fact, the log shows an error about the game not being able to save the profile config. But I don't think that reason could block the executable and avoid it to completely unload.

Freezes when closing applications use to be related to the code of that application isn't able to unload parts of itself from memory to let it free. If a data operation over a file (like config file) hangs, soon or later the file system will abort the operation with a timeout. But if part of the code hangs and doesn't unload itself from RAM, the rest of the closing procedure will stop and wait forever unless that possible error has been considered and the code include some routine to handle the problem. As those routines don't use to exist (because errors are errors due nobody expect them to happen); the program gets stuck and doesn't close by itself.

There are another two errors in the log related with bad behavior external to the game. One states it took too long to detect all the peripherals (yes, almost 700 miliseconds is for a modern computer like a whole life for a human). Another error says that it's having problems to render the game in full screen mode.

Maybe all could be related to a bad system drivers in general? Not that are completely wrong (otherwise the system as a whole will be unstable, not just a game). But they can be generic ones sub-optimal for your hardware @llh.

Regards
Ilmiont

#6 Post by Ilmiont » 16 Apr 2020 06:21

Is this happening every time for you?

I experience this maybe once every 1 in 100 sessions (coincidentally it happened last weekend) and it tends to result in the game not saving properly - after I kill the EXE and relaunch my truck is back down the road.

Otherwise the symptoms are the same as yours... the EXE runs forever with no visible window, low memory usage and nothing whatsoever in the log except a normal shutdown.

It’s evidently hanging at final process termination which leads me to suspect waiting for a plugin to unload. I only use Fanaleds and it works brilliantly but it seems the most likely culprit, although without anything in the log it’s just speculation.

It’s extremely annoying when it happens due to the save loss but for me at least is very rare.
Ilmiont on World of Trucks

EU: 2012 Volvo FH16
US: 2016 Kenworth W900 / 2015 Volvo VNL
Some newbie driver

#7 Post by Some newbie driver » 16 Apr 2020 21:04

Sysinternals Process Explorer can say you what modules have a process loaded. So, if you use it when the ETS2 .exe hangs and you see that plugin .dll still loaded in that moment, you will have more clues about if it's really the culprit or not.

Of course, to debug something that happens only once ever so many tries is a kind of a nightmare.

Regards
AlconburyBlues

#8 Post by AlconburyBlues » 24 Oct 2021 00:43

I've had this problem for months and have been reporting it for just as long. But all I get is arguments, or blaming me for something, and locked threads about it.

Important to note: It's not only ATS that is affected by this. It's EVERY game. I have tested over 50 of my games. The game locks up first, and you have to force close it. But Steam locks up as well. When you are closing Steam or shutting down, you have to end the Steam.exe task.

When did it happen for me? All started after the big Steam client update that happened during the summer.

Uninstalling/reinstalling Steam doesn't work. Doing that to any of your games doesn't work. But the fact that it happens with every game means it's NOT a plugin.

Also more evidence. For those Steam games that actually work by launching their .exe file and bypassing the Steam client, it will close just fine then. This only happens if you launch stuff through the Steam client.

Here is my old thread in the Steam Community about it. Seems like a whole bunch of messages were deleted from it though: https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/ ... 738174684/

Return to “Technical Problems”