Came Crashing DX11 Errors

jhndeere

Re: Came Crashing DX11 Errors - SOLVED

#11 Post by jhndeere » 20 Sep 2021 10:16

Thank you all for your feedback. I didn't get back on here as I think we were all in the right direction about it being clock speed, but I couldn't figure it out.

Update - TLTR - even by adjusting voltage I was still operating at a clock speed higher than reference because the card came that way. I now use MSI to limit the clock speed to 1650 (close enough to reference), leaving voltage at 100 and it works fine.

We were all on to something, but I didn't follow it through fully. I could see that when I was limiting the voltage to 85% it didn't crash as often, which matches up with what we all thought - something to do with the card and clock speed. I did some more research and actually thinking about it. The reference card speed is 1695, and in 90000 point font on my box Gigabyte brags about my card being at 1860. From an earlier post by @Madkine I was thinking clock speed might be an issue, but I was thinking by limiting power to 80% I would control this, but it wasn't. I logged every parameter HWINFO64 would let me log to text file and after 10 crashes of ATS I dumped it all into Excel to start analyzing it. I found instances where it would hit 1750 , and when it did - crash! Even though the power was still really low (I have yet to figure that one out). I moved voltage back to 100%, but turned clock speed down so that boost was limited to 1650. I haven't had a crash since and logged well over 100 hours with the game now with these settings and all my original mods back in. Performance-wise, I don't see it really cost me anything. I still see over 120 - 140FPS and looks good to me. The card "loads up now" and I see it running at 95 - 99% where before it would be at 75% (then crash).
xXCARL1992Xx wrote: 05 Sep 2021 11:45 "The GPU is not overclocked by factory either"

EVERY GPU is overclocked by factory, for a fact EVERY chip is overcloked by default from nvidia as long as thermals and voltage allow it
Exactly, and for some reason, it affects this game and a very limited number of people. I had this same error when I had 1080ti's but I had overclocked them to the max. Always had to disable my additional overclock when I played ATS, but at stock speeds (which were still greater then reference I never had an issue). This time I was hung up on "the card is stock!! i.e I took it out of the box and put it in" and read about this in another post on here so tried the undervolt. I was close, but couldn't get there. I think undervolting is worse on the hardware than limiting the speed so I went that route and no issues. So now, ATS is a two step process - MSI to limit the speed, then launch the game.

Anyway, it's solved now. Maybe the next time I see this in the forums I can help to bridge the language barrier between factory overlocks and overclocks that users do. For a handful, the solution might be to underclock back to reference (not to be confused with undervolt).
plykkegaard

Re: Came Crashing DX11 Errors

#12 Post by plykkegaard » 20 Sep 2021 11:23

Thank you for the update, enjoy!

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Mammonzocker

#13 Post by Mammonzocker » 20 Sep 2021 11:42

Seems like I wasn't that far off with my hunch that it might be the boost clock. Though seeing this thread I acknoledge that my general reply regarding to overclocking ("Are you overclocking your GPU or is it overclocked by the manufacturer? If so, disable the overclocking of your GPU as the game doesn’t like it when you overclock your GPU.") which I have for quick copy/paste in my text file (among other things which are often needed) can use a tweak/correction. And I am very open to suggestions for this so that I can improve it.
plykkegaard

#14 Post by plykkegaard » 20 Sep 2021 12:58

Pretty much to the point imo
Maybe "disable overclocking" should be "reduce clock speed to reference values" or something along that line

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.

Return to “Technical Problems”