Launching the game in VR - STEAM - RIFT S

NathanPalmer2

Launching the game in VR - STEAM - RIFT S

#1 Post by NathanPalmer2 » 11 Sep 2021 23:59

I am attempting to launch the game in vr but not having any success. I have followed YouTube videos and asked on Reddit but it really wont work. The furthest I've gotten was the SCS logo animation when starting the game. After that it goes black. Sometimes it doesn't even get that far, its very inconsistent. I've tries -oculus and -openVR but neither work. I have seen tracking on my monitor 1 or 2 times but nothing on the HMD. Most of the time i get no tracking just the normal screen on my monitor. When launching with Steam VR open both the monitor and the HMD go black. I don't think its a HMD issue because I can use it with different games.

I'm very confused and I feel like it should be this difficult to launch a game in VR. If anyone knows a fix PLEASE reply! Thanks
Madkine
Global moderator

Re: Launching the game in VR - STEAM - RIFT S

#2 Post by Madkine » 12 Sep 2021 00:54

Have you opted in to the VR beta?
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
NathanPalmer2

#3 Post by NathanPalmer2 » 12 Sep 2021 01:25

Yes, I have opted into the VR beta. All my drivers are also update d
Frayner

#4 Post by Frayner » 12 Sep 2021 04:52

Is your main screen also black, or does it display the intro and starting menu? It may be displaying to your screen first, but if you press f11 it toggles between menu on maid screen to menu on VR headset.
Intel i9 13900K, 32 GB RAM, MSI RTX™ 4090 SUPRIM LIQUID X 24G, Bigscreen Beyond
NathanPalmer2

#5 Post by NathanPalmer2 » 12 Sep 2021 04:59

Sometimes my monitor is black sometimes I see the menu. I have tried pressing F11 on both occasions but nothing works
Grumblema

#6 Post by Grumblema » 21 Sep 2021 22:46

@NathanPalmer2 I tried VR again tonight after not running it for a while and had a similar issue to yourself.

I downloaded the latest VR beta and set the launch option to -oculus but every time I launched the game all I saw in the headset (Quest 2) was the launch screen (the Oculus launch screen, not the SCS one), but the game was displayed on my monitor and the garage scene behind the menu was moving in sync with the headset.

At this point pressing F11 didn't help but when I hit Drive the game then displayed properly in the headset and everything worked as it should. Escaping back to the menu however froze the image in the headset but was live again on the monitor. Pressing F11 at that point fully transferred the game back to the headset and all was well, both game and menu then displayed in the headset and I didn't need to refer back to the monitor from then on.

Don't know if that will help or not, for reference I had the Quest 2 connected via link cable and launched the game from a virtual desktop, not from the Oculus library.

Also, on the subject of VR, they seem to have really made some improvements, I was running the game on considerably higher graphics settings than before and boy was it smooth.

Return to “Technical Problems”