Refining keyboard steering

free1959

Refining keyboard steering

#1 Post by free1959 » 07 Oct 2017 18:51

I play ATS on a laptop on the couch so I use the keyboard for steering and the mouse for camera actions. Is there any way to tweak the steering? The truck never tracks straight down the road and any key tap moves it about twice what it needs to. In addition, the speed at which the wheels turn on curves will put you in the ditch because it doesn't turn quick enough. I almost have to come to a stop and wait on the truck to turn to full lock when turning into prefabs.
Frontiersman

Re: Refining keyboard steering

#2 Post by Frontiersman » 07 Oct 2017 19:08

Not to be rude, but what do you expect? Trucks are driven by wheels after all. If you want to overcome the limitations of the keyboard, you should invest in a wheel. If you don't want to do that, at least look into a controller.
BK Vissers

#3 Post by BK Vissers » 07 Oct 2017 20:26

You can get pretty nice control if you switch to Mouse + Keyboard steering.

You steer with the mouse, and use the keyboard for everything else.

If you hold the right mouse key down then you move the camera.

If you don’t have a mouse because you’re on a laptop, you can use the trackpad. In fact I find it even better.

Mouse sensitivity is adjustable, so you really can have much finer control. I set steering sensitivity in the game setting all they way to the left, (min) and linearity to the right. That gives me nice smooth steering.

I really urge you to try it.
WESAYSO Dev. Corp.

#4 Post by WESAYSO Dev. Corp. » 09 Oct 2017 22:58

[ external image ]

I love driving with keyboard, took me a long time to tweak every thing about it...but i did it.
In the settings on your steering page, change settings ; steering intensity, slide in the middle and see from there how fast it steers low/high speeds. I have to change it if i drive another truck, also scs trucks...scania,daf ect all have diff steering.
Under that, put the slidebar ALMOST all to the right.
That's it, close that.

On the keyboard, left& right ONLY use the arrows...to change the others, just put 2x the same arrow key.
Blinkers ; right CTRL = left
keypad 0 = right
Stop = Left CTRL
Gear down = left SHIFT
Gear UP = Caps lock
Throttle up = Tab key >>>> these 4 keys give you easy fwrd/backw/shifting with ease and speed !
The A key = window washers
Z key = truck axl up/down
E key = trailer axl up/down
The . on the keypad = 4 blinkers/alarm
W = the map
Radio = all keypad ; radio = 5
previous track = 4
next = 5
sound + = + :roll:
sound - = - :o
Add more or change as you feel , but this works better tha a steering wheel for me, as the diameter is to little for me to really enjoy it.

Have fun and do not forget to delete all the keybindings you wont use OR give keys that out of your normal reach, trust me on this ;)
I have separate buttons for my sound that are above all my "normal" keys, so use a good gaming one, it's worth every penny.
Why are all those cars crashing into my truck ? Hey, i told them diesel would kill them ! :lol:

ETS-player sinds nov. 2014 and still my favorite game ever !
free1959

#5 Post by free1959 » 11 Oct 2017 16:45

Thx for the input. I tried the mouse steering and failed miserably but adjusted the steering settings as suggested. It helped a bit.

Return to “Gameplay Questions”