jake brake operation

unknown_zombie

jake brake operation

#1 Post by unknown_zombie » 15 Oct 2017 20:33

My jake (engine) brake only works when I turn it on and press the normal brakes. How can I make the jake brake work while coasting?

I don't have the auto engine brake option turned on.
marcf

Re: jake brake operation

#2 Post by marcf » 15 Oct 2017 21:19

There are buttons you can setup for turning the engine brake on manually, default B I think?

Engine brake toggle: turns jake on/off
Engine brake: activates jake brake while you hold the key (default B or N?)
Increase engine brake
Decrease engine brake

If you have engine brake toggle set, this will turn it on or off entirely, and the increase/decrease buttons change power when active (power level 1-3)
If you don't have engine brake toggle set, the increase/decrease buttons will also turn it off (power level 0-1-2-3)

Engine brake will not work while you have throttle or cruise control active (unless you're going downhill and above cruise speed)
If your gearbox has a retarder, engine brake will not work on cruise control downhill, since the retarder is doing it
unknown_zombie

#3 Post by unknown_zombie » 15 Oct 2017 21:40

Yeah, I have it set to toggle. But if I turn it on, it won't activate until I press the normal brakes. I don't even have cruise control turned on, but if I turn on the engine brake and then let go of the gas the engine brake won't activate unless I am pressing the normal brakes.

How can I make it activate as soon as I turn it on when I am not pressing the accelerator, instead of having to press the brakes to make it work?
CobraBlue6

#4 Post by CobraBlue6 » 15 Oct 2017 21:46

@unknown_zombie, you might need to increase your throttle controller deadzone as the jake brake is disabled when the throttle is pressed and if your deadzone is too small the throttle will always be partly open.
unknown_zombie

#5 Post by unknown_zombie » 15 Oct 2017 22:53

CobraBlue6 wrote: 15 Oct 2017 21:46 @unknown_zombie, you might need to increase your throttle controller deadzone as the jake brake is disabled when the throttle is pressed and if your deadzone is too small the throttle will always be partly open.
Yep, that was my problem. Thank you!

I had throttle deadzone set to 0, moved it as little as I could off of 0 and now jake brake works as expected.

Return to “Gameplay Questions”