Game wheels, pedals and shifters

Frontiersman

Re: Game wheels, pedals and shifters

#11 Post by Frontiersman » 08 Dec 2017 18:22

LOL understandable.
flight50

#12 Post by flight50 » 08 Dec 2017 20:32

Hmm. Driver wise, it was the opposite for me. Logitech was more straight forward and no issue there. Now I do like the Thrustmaster option settings so it was worth my efforts to fix it. In regards to ATS/ETS2 rotation, I have no idea what the settings are for the game itself. I have the Thrustmaster set at 1080 in its control panel and when I get into either game, for me the turning is 1:1 and has much more rotation than the Logitech. I didn't have to spin the Logitech wheel like I have to with the Thrustmaster. With the Logitech, the in game wheel rotation was not lined up with the hardware's (steering wheel) center point. The Thrustmaster's blue line(center point) lines up exactly with the game steering wheel.
thebigbadonion

#13 Post by thebigbadonion » 09 Dec 2017 02:38

I had quite a lot of problems with the old logitech profiler, when I had my DFGT. It kept recognising the wheel as something completely different and causing it to not work correctly, and the only fix was to uninstall the drivers and reinstall them, and it started to happen on quite a regular basis. But the G29 uses completely different drivers and software. I've had the wheel over a year now and absolutely no issues.

When it comes to direct comparisons between Logitech and Thrustmaster. You can't ever forget the price difference. Thrustmaster is a lot more expensive, so it should be considerably better, it's like comparing a Ford Mondeo to a BMW 5 series. Both serve quite different markets. Thrustmaster definitely goes for the more hardcore sim racer market. Where as Logitech aims their products more at the mainstream.

Amazon UK prices all in: with wheel 3 pedal set and shifter:
Logitech G29 £189.99 + Driving Force Shifter : £32.99 total: £ 222.98
Thrustmaster T300 RS GT £339.99 TH8A Shifter £129.99 £469.99

Amazon US prices:
Logitech G29 $258.51 Driving Force Shifter: $59.99 Total:$318.50
Thrustmaster T300 RS GT $449.00 TH8A Shifter 1$59 99 Total $608.99

That's over twice the price in the uk and almost twice the price in the US. So the real question should be is it twice the wheel? Having never used a T300, I can't answer that question. although the more I look at them the more I want one :lol:
cbvta

#14 Post by cbvta » 09 Dec 2017 18:36

this is the wheel/pedal combo i use. i used to sim race in leagues online. i bought this combo probably 12-13 yrs ago. still race with it weekly.

http://ecci6000.com/6000_wheel_01.htm
flight50

#15 Post by flight50 » 10 Dec 2017 14:53

Another point I forgot to mention is compatibility. I chose the The Thrustmaster 300GT RS because I wanted a wheel that could work across multiple platforms. I can use this wheel on pc, ps4 and ps3. Not many can do all three. So having leather was not critical to me at all. I like this new wheel of mine as is.
thebigbadonion

#16 Post by thebigbadonion » 10 Dec 2017 16:24

Having always owned consoles as well as pc Thats also always been important for me too. But most of the officially licensed wheels like the t300 and g29 work on both ps3 and ps4 thankfully or that would be some bull :lol: The only thing which doesn't work with the ps3 is the shifter, since for some odd reason ps3 recognises it as a DFGT, but it does work fine.

When it comes to the leather thing I can take it or leave it. Especially on the g29 since the leather doesn't feel very thick. What's more important to me is the rim not feeling like a lump of plastic. Since both use metal rims coated in another material neither do. But thrustmaster does give you the option to put a new rim on which is great Although they are kinda pricey :lol:
Wolf68k

#17 Post by Wolf68k » 10 Dec 2017 20:44

I've just learned, and kind of annoyed, Fry's Electronics has the Thrustmaster T300 Alcantara Edition for $299. This normally goes for around $480-500 on Amazon

I want to know where thebigbadonion is getting his prices from? The current price for the T300 GT is $419 on Amazon and the highest it's ever been according to camelcamelcamel is $428.
I got mine when it was $340 and had I know I would have waited because back in June it went down to $257. Keep in mind this is New prices, not used or open box or anything else like that. And it's direct from Amazon not 3rd party. According to camelcamelcamel the highest 3rd party New price was $548 and that was just a few days ago.

And yes Thrustmaster does cost more. Because you get a lot more from it. Better materials, swappable rims, and better resolution pedals.

@flight50
Well in that same vein the Thrustmaster TX works on both Xbox and PC, but then so does the Logitech G920.
What would be really impressive is to fine 1 wheel that works on PC, PS and Xbox. The closes thing to that is from Fanatec with the latest CSL Elite. There, the rim decides which console it works with either PS or Xbox but not matter which of the 2 rims you use it'll still work on the PC.
thebigbadonion

#18 Post by thebigbadonion » 10 Dec 2017 23:19

I got my prices off Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk at the time I posted it as i stated in the post. Although looking at the price today it is 419 but Amazon do throw their prices around a lot. I just looked at the cheapest prices on everything there and then. It's possible amazon was out of stock and that was a third party price as well.

I doubt we'll ever see a wheel that works with xbox and Playstation due to licensing. There's absolutely no reason why not from a technical stand point though.

Return to “Gameplay Questions”