Starting on a hill

B787

Re: Starting on a hill

#41 Post by B787 » 22 Aug 2018 08:25

But if the engine totally stalls (e.g. on a highway exit) it is very strange and totally annoying and has nothing to do with the clutch :?
Leen

#42 Post by Leen » 22 Aug 2018 08:40

Try always to keep the wheels rolling no matter if you rolling with 2 miles uphill but keep them rolling and look far in front of you so you can react early on situations.
B787

#43 Post by B787 » 22 Aug 2018 08:58

Leen wrote: 22 Aug 2018 08:40 Try always to keep the wheels rolling no matter if you rolling with 2 miles uphill but keep them rolling and look far in front of you so you can react early on situations.
Yeah... that seems to be the only way
Vinnie Terranova

#44 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 22 Aug 2018 19:24

But in reality sometimes it just isn't possible to keep your truck rolling. Sometimes you have to stop no matter what slow speed you drive. So in that case you have to find a solution for accelerating from 0 mph to, say, 5 mph.
Izmaragon

#45 Post by Izmaragon » 23 Aug 2018 14:04

With keyboard shifting [sequential] and mouse steering, there have been occasions where I find hill starts have to be done in 1st forward gear... Sometimes at least. And just to say, as I've been using the mouse steering method for the entirety of my ets2/ats experience, I'm just fine with the control method I have thanks.

And I agree with Vinnie, because the physics are sound, and I've seen a few videos where the driver exclamates about the severity of the hill slope.
My WoT

Show trucks are working trucks, they simply do the same job in a slightly more noticeable and stylish fashion.
flight50

#46 Post by flight50 » 24 Aug 2018 23:37

There are only 2 solutions. Both have been stated. LL or avoid San Francisco. If you think a 53' dry van is hard. Try a heavy haul on an incline. They are next to impossible to get going again without reload the last quick save. But like some have also said, you must get a feel for that clutch. There has been many times with I had to do foot & pedal to get going. Your revs have to be in the sweet spot. You also must know your limits with your load.

One trick I do on inclines with a heavy load and/or weak truck is to creep up to the light or stop sign at a crawl from the base of the climb all the way to the top. 9 times out of 10 by the time the time I get to the light if its red, it turns green or if there is a line of AI vehicles in front of me, they are gone by time I peak the incline. I have to do this a lot on off ramps from the freeway. This is basically what Leen stated above with keep the wheels rolling. But like I said above, know your load and avoid such routes. I don't take any loads more than 30,000 lbs into San Francisco.
Last edited by flight50 on 03 Nov 2021 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
ilovevolvo

#47 Post by ilovevolvo » 05 Sep 2018 03:37

Im told its a bug. Something with manual gearing.

Change box to auto and watch it move. The game magically finds the extra torque in auto mode vs gear 1 in manual. Its been known for a while tbh.

Thats why i drive ishift 12 speeds :p
when potholes and winter?
JeeF

#48 Post by JeeF » 05 Sep 2018 15:15

Certain gear ratios simply don't pack enough punch, can't transfer all that torque down to the wheels.
Pretty much any engine can pull any cargo up that hill with the proper ratio. First thing I ever buy to my trucks is a 18-speed eaton fuller.
I make sure the first gear (LL) has a ratio of at least 14.4. Sometimes I go as far as editing my ratios, customizing my transmission to my needs.
I'll tell you one thing: with the proper gear ratios, a 400hp/2000nm engine can go as far as lifting your front axle off the ground during a pull.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." - Plato
Fawls

#49 Post by Fawls » 06 Sep 2018 07:18

JeeF wrote: 05 Sep 2018 15:15 Certain gear ratios simply don't pack enough punch, can't transfer all that torque down to the wheels.
Pretty much any engine can pull any cargo up that hill with the proper ratio. First thing I ever buy to my trucks is a 18-speed eaton fuller.
I make sure the first gear (LL) has a ratio of at least 14.4. Sometimes I go as far as editing my ratios, customizing my transmission to my needs.
I'll tell you one thing: with the proper gear ratios, a 400hp/2000nm engine can go as far as lifting your front axle off the ground during a pull.
How do you edit the ratios? Some (especially mods) don't come with a good range of transmission /rear end ratios.
DO NOT BUY FROM CSIO TECHNOLOGIES
They'll take your payment immediately and not fulfill order.

Comp Specs: R7 5700X, 6900XT, 32GB Ram.
JeeF

#50 Post by JeeF » 06 Sep 2018 21:58

Fawls wrote: 06 Sep 2018 07:18
JeeF wrote: 05 Sep 2018 15:15 Certain gear ratios simply don't pack enough punch, can't transfer all that torque down to the wheels.
How do you edit the ratios? Some (especially mods) don't come with a good range of transmission /rear end ratios.
def/vehicle/truck/truckname/transmission/transmissionname.sii

[ external image ]

The higher the ratio, the more torque is transferred into the wheels, but the lower your speed is.
Differential ratio also enters the equation. Change the values and then test them in game so you have an idea what it does.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." - Plato

Return to “Gameplay Questions”