Starting on a hill

B787

Starting on a hill

#1 Post by B787 » 19 Aug 2018 14:51

Hello together,

today I must start a topic, which I wanted to avoid but this issue is very annoying...

First of all. Is that a steep climb ?

[ external image ]

As you can see I am driving a Kenworth W900B with a DD engine which got 515HP. Next to it I am using a Eaton Fuller 10 speed gear box.
The trailer is 53ft long and is loaded with 41.836 lbs.
I am driving with the Logitech G920 and H-Shifter.

Maybe someone can spot it that I am in San Francisco.
As you know, there are a lot of red traffic lights. :lol:
Due to traffic rules you must stop at any of them... but when they switch to green, I am not able to continue.

It is absolutely impossible to get the truck driving again... even with parking brake you are slightly slighting down the hill.
There is no way to start driving.
You can be as much as sensitive with the clutch as it is possible but no luck. No luck with applied parking brake or just with the trailer brake...

Yes, I am using the GTM mod but also in vanilla game this problem is still there...

I can record this later if someone would like to see it.

Any suggestions ? :roll:
Vinnie Terranova

Re: Starting on a hill

#2 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 19 Aug 2018 14:55

Have you tried to use the retarder? Do you have the option "Air brakes simulation" turned on?
B787

#3 Post by B787 » 19 Aug 2018 15:05

Vinnie Terranova wrote: 19 Aug 2018 14:55 Have you tried to use the retarder? Do you have the option "Air brakes simulation" turned on?
What ?! :D
"Air brake simulation" is of course turend on.
And retarder ?! First of all, those trucks do not have a retarder in real life, so I also do not use them.
And in what relation is the retarter if you want to start driving on a hill and the engine is always stalling :?
Vinnie Terranova

#4 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 19 Aug 2018 15:10

When I can't move my truck, I usually get a message like: "Try to use the retarder (V)" or something like that. After I press "V" I can move my truck. I don't know why, because I allways thought that the retarder has something to do with braking instead of accellerating, so that's the reason I asked you about the retarder.

<Edit>I was wrong of course. The message was something about "differential lock":
ats_20180819_173548_00.jpg
Last edited by Vinnie Terranova on 19 Aug 2018 15:40, edited 1 time in total.
xXCARL1992Xx

#5 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 19 Aug 2018 15:11

differential, not retarder

retarder is a transmission brake, differential look locks the diff so all driven wheels get the same power

he isnt in a rocky environment, so difflock wouldnt help much either if the wheels arent slipping
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
LeafeonGold

#6 Post by LeafeonGold » 19 Aug 2018 15:24

What I would do is make sure i'm in a manual mode to hold a gear, start in 1 or 2, and gently accelerate with the trailer brake on until the truck starts to pull, then let go of the trailer brake, and it will usually start moving.

The retarder wouldn't help in this situation, and diff lock would just make all of the wheels spin instead of helping you up, in this case.
"Don't try extra hard to make your presence known, but make sure your absence is noticed."

Intel I7-4790K |//| EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW |//| 32GB RAM
Workshop |//| ATS Screens |//| ETS2 Screens
B787

#7 Post by B787 » 19 Aug 2018 15:32

Vinnie Terranova wrote: 19 Aug 2018 15:10 When I can't move my truck, I usually get a message like: "Try to use the retarder (V)" or something like that. After I press "V" I can move my truck. I don't know why, because I allways thought that the retarder has something to do with braking instead of accellerating, so that's the reason I asked you about the retarder.
That is just a message, that your retarder is still active. But it has nothing to do with accelerating because if you apply the throttle the retarder will stop working automaticly.
LeafeonGold wrote: 19 Aug 2018 15:24 What I would do is make sure i'm in a manual mode to hold a gear, start in 1 or 2, and gently accelerate with the trailer brake on until the truck starts to pull, then let go of the trailer brake, and it will usually start moving.

The retarder wouldn't help in this situation, and diff lock would just make all of the wheels spin instead of helping you up, in this case.
I did exactly what you said, and in a 10 speed it is always good to start in 1st gear.
But no luck...

I changed to automatic transmission but even that was not able to move the truck...

Wheels are NOT spinning.
Vinnie Terranova

#8 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 19 Aug 2018 15:49

Maybe you can try to steer the truck to the left instead of straight on, then accellerate untill your truck is rolling, and then, while rolling, steering back to straight on? Of course, there must be no upcoming traffic while doing this.
Next time that you have a heavy cargo like this, try to manually choose another route through San Francisco.
B787

#9 Post by B787 » 19 Aug 2018 15:57

Vinnie Terranova wrote: 19 Aug 2018 15:49 Maybe you can try to steer the truck to the left instead of straight on, then accellerate untill your truck is rolling, and then, while rolling, steering back to straight on? Of course, there must be no upcoming traffic while doing this.
Next time that you have a heavy cargo like this, try to manually choose another route through San Francisco.
Sorry, but this is a stupid answer...
Vinnie Terranova

#10 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 19 Aug 2018 16:10

Eh... I'm just trying to help?

Return to “Gameplay Questions”