Weight stations: Entry, "Empty" lane, and Exit

Tarso
Beta tester

Re: Weight stations: Entry, "Empty" lane, and Exit

#11 Post by Tarso » 17 Sep 2019 23:57

Going by the yellow sign below, i would say it is needed to pass inside for the "bypass photo" be registered, and continue without stopping
supersobes
Global moderator

#12 Post by supersobes » 18 Sep 2019 00:14

@Tarso In the US, when a sign says "photo enforced," that means that violations are enforced by images of license plates. In this case, it is saying that trucks who fail to enter the scale when they are supposed to will have an image of their license plate sent to law enforcement. The same goes for speed cameras and red light cameras.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
Tarso
Beta tester

#13 Post by Tarso » 18 Sep 2019 00:29

Oh, I see

Then what do you think about the game behavior above?

Sign is there for accuracy only and the green light should never be given in such places? Since trucks are demanded to go in above 20k?
supersobes
Global moderator

#14 Post by supersobes » 18 Sep 2019 00:36

Here is the sequence of signs at this location in real-life. It says "ALL TRUCKS OVER 20,000 GVW NEXT RIGHT. BYPASS PHOTO ENFORCED." Further down the road, it says "WEIGH STATION NEXT RIGHT," but under that is an electornic sign that swtiches between "OPEN" and "CLOSED." It's impossible to enter a closed scale, so in-game you could just say that the bypass is simulating a closed scale.

Edit: The Northbound lanes say that it is a preclearance site which means that is uses the in-cab transponders. In this case, if you don't have a transponder, you must enter the open scales when you are grossing 20K pounds or more. Otherwise, follow your transponder. Since the Southbound lanes don't seem to be a preclearance site, I would think that all trucks must enter the open scale regardless of the presence of a transponder.
nautofon

#15 Post by nautofon » 20 Sep 2019 15:55

I see. Thanks!

@Tarso: I suppose the game could have a fine for when you don't pass inside. But I guess it'd probably be confusing for most players.

@supersobes: Where I live (outside the US), the "photo enforced" warnings are sometimes fakeouts. Just putting up that warning sign is cheaper than actually installing a photo box, you see. :D Does that happen in the US at all?
For driving without GPS navigation:  ATS Company/Facility Directory — C/FD
Tarso
Beta tester

#16 Post by Tarso » 20 Sep 2019 16:22

@nautofon Indeed would be a problem for non US residents, but on the other hand, it could also be managed by a RA message just like when you need to go in and it says you to.

Oh, those "fake" warning signs

We have them everywhere here, stating radar monitoring is enforced on that road, what they don't always say is the radar can be mobile and not be present then drivers roll the dice and choose to speed or not to speed.
supersobes
Global moderator

#17 Post by supersobes » 20 Sep 2019 19:20

nautofon wrote: 20 Sep 2019 15:55 @supersobes: Where I live (outside the US), the "photo enforced" warnings are sometimes fakeouts. Just putting up that warning sign is cheaper than actually installing a photo box, you see. :D Does that happen in the US at all?
It probably does somewhere in the US, but it is illegal. Jurisdictions who purposefully post false road signage are subject to legal action.

--------
@Tarso Here in the US, we have different signs for mobile speed checking devices other than "photo enforced" signs.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
nautofon

#18 Post by nautofon » 21 Sep 2019 21:42

@supersobes: Nice :)
For driving without GPS navigation:  ATS Company/Facility Directory — C/FD
Tarso
Beta tester

#19 Post by Tarso » 21 Sep 2019 22:09

Enforced by aircraft lulz

Here since some time ago, fixed radars don't need to be advised anymore, BUT it is needed to state the speed limit for the road section at entry for them when the road differ from the standard speed limit for its type.

So we end up with some interesting situations where you might have a sign but no radar, and sometimes you see a simple speed limit sign and some distance ahead a fixed radar.

Transition times are funny, best solution is to not go over speed.
Xaagon

#20 Post by Xaagon » 22 Sep 2019 19:28

I looked up "how weigh stations work" on YouTube and found this video that seems to be pretty good instruction aimed at new drivers. About 12 minutes in it shows him using the bypass lane. Not sure about trucks skipping the waystation altogether...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hJlTuZihXU

I don't think vehicles exiting weigh stations have right of way, but in real life most everybody will move over to let you merge. In game the AI cars just slam on the brakes - a surefire recipe for a massive pile-up accident if done in real life.

Return to “Gameplay Questions”