Parking Doubles - Is it Possible?

akima

Re: Parking Doubles - Is it Possible?

#91 Post by akima » 19 Oct 2020 23:14

Reignman wrote:
19 Oct 2020 19:35
Let me guess, the truck swung out wide, and the car behind him dove underneath?
Yup. Pretty sure that's what happened. I was surprised to see such a long load on an AI truck when I saw it, which is why I looked back and then noticed it had side-swiped the NPC car. I actually like seeing AI derping in this game. Little interesting events/crashes happen organically to spice up my drive. Occasionally they block the road in front of me from their failures and then I have a mini game of navigating past it.

I have a suspicion that the AI code in ATS is quite primitive and dated (although very functional IMO). I think SCS are probably going to rip it out at some point and replace it with something entirely new and far more capable instead of putting too much time into tweaking what they've got. That's just my feeling about it anyway.

Reignman

#93 Post by Reignman » 23 Oct 2020 04:48

akima wrote:
19 Oct 2020 23:14
I have a suspicion that the AI code in ATS is quite primitive and dated (although very functional IMO). I think SCS are probably going to rip it out at some point and replace it with something entirely new and far more capable instead of putting too much time into tweaking what they've got. That's just my feeling about it anyway.
Maybe so. I heard the AI has improved from 1.36 to 1.38, but I wouldn't know since I'm still stuck on 1.36. For now I just use the console to remove traffic if it starts getting too squirrely xD.
Oh wow, awesome find. Thanks! It's for version 1.38, but hopefully I can get it working with 1.36. That's a game changer right there lol. I haven't been able to unpack the file, so I'm not sure how he did it, but looks like the b-double is an additional option. I was going to do it the lazy way and just replace the old doubles haha.

EDIT: Ok I tried it real quick, and everything seems to work fine until I get to a company, choose a job, and customize the load. As soon as I see a b-double option, the game crashes. I get a bunch of these errors, so probably version related.

Code: Select all

00:01:51.723 : <ERROR> [fs] Failed to open file '/vehicle/trailer_owned/scs_box/marker_01.tobj' in the read_only mode.
00:01:51.743 : <ERROR> [resource_task] Can not open '/vehicle/trailer_owned/scs_box/marker_01.tobj'
00:01:51.743 : <ERROR> [fs] Failed to open file '/vehicle/trailer_owned/scs_box/marker_01_lamp_mask.tobj' in the read_only mode.
00:01:51.752 : <ERROR> [resource_task] Can not open '/vehicle/trailer_owned/scs_box/marker_01_lamp_mask.tobj'

akima

#94 Post by akima » 23 Oct 2020 20:48

Something I noticed change with AI recently was that it now seems to give me more space to maneuver. e.g. if I have to go very wide and into the oncoming lane, the traffic will hang way back. I'm pretty sure it didn't used to do that and I'd end up having to knock the cars out the way to pass. There's a port with a super tight turn on the road leaning up to it. That was one place where I used to have problems but now it's all good.

People complain about the AI, but IMO it's pretty damn good. Of course it could be improved a lot and I hope SCS do improve it. Personally I don't want the AI to drive perfectly and cause me zero problems. I'd like the improvements to make the AI more varied in behaviour and reflect real driving practises (good and bad). I also want the engine to better handle high traffic density. I enjoy driving in congested traffic sometimes.

Reignman

#95 Post by Reignman » 24 Oct 2020 04:16

Reignman wrote:
18 Oct 2020 08:37
Ok, turns out it's pretty easy to add as many trailers as you want.

I'm thinking about adding 10 trailers and then seeing if I can make it from Show Low to Phoenix, or from Bend to Pendleton. Farmington to Raton?
Bad news! I think 4 is the maximum you can add. The trailer won't load if you add 5 or more. I think it has to fit inside the garage on the trailer purchase screen or it won't load, and 4 trailers barely fit if the last one is a 53 footer. I tried 5x 28 footers, but no dice.

The good news is, 4 trailers handle surprisingly well. That last trailer follows nicely around corners. Maybe it helps that I'm using a truck with a smaller turn radius than the K900 too haha.

Reignman

#96 Post by Reignman » 28 Oct 2020 07:13

Alright, so I gave it a shot xD. Trying to park a b-quad in the most cramped space imaginable.

It was looking good early.

Several hours later I finally notice the spot isn't big enough lol.

Now why on earth would someone waste all that time trying to park a b-quad? Because I was thinking it would make the b-double seem so much easier haha. And it did.

Some newbie driver

#97 Post by Some newbie driver » 28 Oct 2020 21:04

New SCS game: 42 wheels of Steel - Extreme masochism. :lol:

Reignman

#98 Post by Reignman » 29 Oct 2020 04:50

Some newbie driver wrote:
28 Oct 2020 21:04
New SCS game: 42 wheels of Steel - Extreme masochism. :lol:
Haha yeah, no kidding. Ok a b-quad is probably a little too extreme, but I had to try it out. After 250 deliveries with a b-double though, I'm going to take a stab at hauling around a b-triple for awhile. Hopefully my new Volvo has the maneuverability to help make it less painful. The W900 is just way too painful to maneuver in tight places, so I finally retired it after 100k miles. Hauling the b-quad isn't too bad with a truck like the K100E.

I only have a couple miles on the Volvo so far, but maneuverability wise it seems to fall somewhere between the W900 and K100E, so parking a triple shouldn't be too painful if I stick to larger docks haha.

My new ride for the next 100k miles.

That bad boy is configured to haul 60-75k pounds of cargo $$$. If my crappy PC can handle it xD. I noticed more lag with the triple and the quad, so not sure what that's about. I can't really lower the display settings any further or it'll look like I'm playing on a potato xD.

Some newbie driver

#99 Post by Some newbie driver » 29 Oct 2020 07:05

It's normal that you have less FPS performance with those extra trailers: a lot more polygons in the scene to depicts very detailed extra trailers. And also it seems to be some kind of problem in the game that makes that to be excessively noticeable.

At least, on the PC side, we already have all the new graphic cards over the table and it seems it's going to be a knives close combat battle. That's good for prices and maybe the old cards will start to lower finally. Because if I remember well, you still had not purchased the graphic, right?

Regards

Reignman

#100 Post by Reignman » 30 Oct 2020 04:19

Some newbie driver wrote:
29 Oct 2020 07:05
Because if I remember well, you still had not purchased the graphic, right?

Regards
That is correct, haven't purchased the GPU, CPU, RAM, or PSU yet. I only bought the motherboard, case, and a monitor so far. Won't buy the rest until Black Friday lol. Thanks to prices going the wrong direction, you got your wish. I only had to suffer an extra 3-4 months. And now with 3060 rumors starting, with prices around $350, I might be waiting even longer haha.

My first delivery and parking attempt with the triple. Normally I'd keep going until I got it in there pretty straight, but with not much forward maneuvering room, I was getting a little frustrated so I took the first green light they gave me.

Tidbit has a little more room to play with it, so this one was less frustrating, but it still took me awhile to get back there nice and straight for a pick up.

And oooo boy, this was the most difficult one yet. I quit at one point and tried again later, but then forgot to take a SS of the final park. Trust me, it was in there pretty straight, but it was pretty dark by the time I got there xD.

Now this is more like it, look at all that forward room I have to work with.

That only took about 27 game minutes or 10 real life minutes.

The biggest issue with the triple is not finding many jobs. I dropped a load off at Redding, then had to drive to Eureka to start the next one. I should switch to a triple flatbed so I can do more farming jobs.

Look how easy this one was when I was still playing around with the b-quad lol. I wish they were all that easy. Well not really, then it'd probably get boring. I only ask for a reasonable amount of room to maneuver.

Like a glove.

Return to “Gameplay Questions”