Parking Doubles - Is it Possible?

TheAmir259

Re: Parking Doubles - Is it Possible?

#121 Post by TheAmir259 » 08 Feb 2021 09:54

Just wondering, are you guys doing these challenges with air brakes simulation on or off? Hats off if you guys did with it on!
Two wrongs don't make a right, three lefts...do :D
NeXTer

#122 Post by NeXTer » 08 Feb 2021 15:39

I'd say it depends on how good you are. :)

I've given up on reverse parking anything fancier than B-doubles. As I play vanilla the only thing fancier I could realistically park that's longer are the truck triples, and even then I couldn't quite get the rearmost truck to stop going wide (it was rather late at the time).

Does anyone know how the heck you reverse those lowboys with both jeep and booster IRL? Do people normally disassemble them first? The boosters really have a mind of their own and with the jeep as well I can't for the life of me figure out how to keep them from going all over the place.

Edit: To answer my own question, I got the answer to it in this post: viewtopic.php?f=185&t=295496#p1498978

Basically the booster can be either locked or raised, simplifying handling enormously. The jeep isn't much of a problem, but it would certainly help with owned lowboys if it could be put on top when not hauling cargo. Being able to reconfigure trailers in a realistic way while on the job would be a nice feature.

Not to mention being able to treat doubles and triples as individual units. Would make it interesting if you could assemble or break them apart in order to park each trailer at its own dock, for instance. Still challenging, but more realistic.
Reignman

#123 Post by Reignman » 14 Feb 2021 21:49

Seifer1968 wrote: 07 Feb 2021 05:28It's not as easy as it sounds, but once you understand the dynamics ...
Oh nice, a video. I wish I could do video, but my crappy PC doesn't allow it. Once I get my new rig built then I can start posting video too. I thought you were going to back it in one shot because you nailed the setup. But exactly, once you understand the mechanics of it, it gets a bit easier. When I first started parking the b-double, it would take me a good 30 game minutes, but now I can do it in 5. Same with the b-triples, they were taking me 30 at first too, but I can do them in 15 if I nail the setup, which is the most important step IMO. I've figured out how to maneuver the 1st and 2nd trailer without moving the rear trailer much, so once I get that rear trailer lined up with the parking spot, then it's just a game of back-n-forth xD.
TheAmir259 wrote: 08 Feb 2021 09:54Just wondering, are you guys doing these challenges with air brakes simulation on or off? Hats off if you guys did with it on!
With it off for now. I've tried it with it on, and yeah that makes it that much more miserable lol. It's even worse with standard doubles and turnpike doubles. I'll turn it back on once I feel like I've mastered it.
NeXTer wrote: 08 Feb 2021 15:39I've given up on reverse parking anything fancier than B-doubles. As I play vanilla the only thing fancier I could realistically park that's longer are the truck triples, and even then I couldn't quite get the rearmost truck to stop going wide (it was rather late at the time).
You mean the 3 piggy backed Kenworth job? Before I figured out how to make a b-triple, I would practice with those when I got bored of the b-double. The pivot points are a little shorter than a b-triple, so yeah those are more difficult. When you said triple, I thought you meant the standard triple, with a dolly between each of the 3 trailers (5 pivot points), so I thought you were crazy to even attempt that lol.
NeXTer wrote: 08 Feb 2021 15:39Does anyone know how the heck you reverse those lowboys with both jeep and booster IRL?
I haven't even tried the ones with a rear booster. The ones with the jeep aren't much different than a b-double, the jeep just has a shorter pivot point than a trailer which makes it a little more difficult to tell when you need to start making a correction.
NeXTer wrote: 08 Feb 2021 15:39Not to mention being able to treat doubles and triples as individual units. Would make it interesting if you could assemble or break them apart in order to park each trailer at its own dock, for instance. Still challenging, but more realistic.
Yeah I can't wait until that's a possibility. I hope you can still park them the traditional way too because it's an extra challenge, but breaking them down would be more realistic. Plus I wouldn't need to own 5 trailers (b-triple and b-double), I could make both configurations with just 3 trailers haha.

I decided to finally return to the job that inspired this entire thread to see if I could finally park a standard double at an Eddy's, but when I got there, it was the wrong Eddy's lol. But I parked it anyway. This Eddy's has the bigger lot, so it doesn't count. I'll defeat the smaller Eddy's one of these days, and maybe I'll have it on video.

[ external image ]

I've parked the standard double before but it would take me 2-3 game hours, but this one only took 23 minutes, so I think I'm getting a little better at it haha. I used to think that middle dolly had a mind of it's own, but I've learned to tame that beast ... somewhat xD.
Skoot

#124 Post by Skoot » 19 Feb 2021 18:32

Well, I rolled around for a couple of thousands of miles with a double drop deck when they came. It was a two-axle trailer with a single-axle spreader, all pulled by a stretched frame Kenworth K100E. Parking it took me a tad longer than a B-double (I'm quite good at backing those), but it took a lot of back'n'forth movement and whenever I got it all lined up and started backing it in a straight line, the spreader turned whatever direction it was in the mood for and though I always ended up within the parking spot, that little bastard pointed almost exactly 90 degrees away from the dock or whatever there was. :lol: At some point I got tired of it (and then-uncorrected spreader shimmering at highway speeds) and rebuilt it into a regular two-axle double drop. But it was fun pulling it, for sure. :)
Reignman

#125 Post by Reignman » 20 Feb 2021 23:23

Skoot wrote: 19 Feb 2021 18:32Well, I rolled around for a couple of thousands of miles with a double drop deck when they came. It was a two-axle trailer with a single-axle spreader, all pulled by a stretched frame Kenworth K100E.
Double drop deck? Are you using a mod, or referring to the gooseneck, or did we get drop decks after 1.36? Cuz I'm still on 1.36 and I don't have any of those. And yeah it's no fun trying to park doubles in a stretched cab with a horrible turn radius, like the W900. Need something short and stocky with great maneuverability.
Skoot wrote: 19 Feb 2021 18:32Parking it took me a tad longer than a B-double (I'm quite good at backing those),
Pics or it didn't happen :lol:
Skoot wrote: 19 Feb 2021 18:32but it took a lot of back'n'forth movement and whenever I got it all lined up and started backing it in a straight line, the spreader turned whatever direction it was in the mood for and though I always ended up within the parking spot, that little bastard pointed almost exactly 90 degrees away from the dock or whatever there was.
Yeah that damn spreader/dolly on those standard doubles are a real pain. The double axle spreader is a little bit easier because it's easier to tell when you need to start making corrections. I can actually park turnpike doubles faster than standard doubles because those have the 2 axle spreader/dolly. The b-double and even my b-triple are much easier than all of them though xD.
Skoot wrote: 19 Feb 2021 18:32At some point I got tired of it (and then-uncorrected spreader shimmering at highway speeds) and rebuilt it into a regular two-axle double drop. But it was fun pulling it, for sure. :)
Rebuilt? So it's your own mod or something? I need to learn how to do that because I have my own trailer ideas lol. I've never done any 3D modeling before though.
Skoot

#126 Post by Skoot » 21 Feb 2021 16:35

Reignman wrote: 20 Feb 2021 23:23 Double drop deck? Are you using a mod, or referring to the gooseneck, or did we get drop decks after 1.36? Cuz I'm still on 1.36 and I don't have any of those.
We got two in one actually. :) You can spec a lowboy with the front deck in place of the regular gooseneck and the rear deck, and that will get you a double drop. It's currently just an eyecandy though, as only the main deck can be used for cargo.
And yeah it's no fun trying to park doubles in a stretched cab with a horrible turn radius, like the W900. Need something short and stocky with great maneuverability.
My go-to combo back then was the very same K100E with either a B-double flatbed or a 53' reefer with the axles slid all the way back. No way I'm going to Cali. :lol:
Pics or it didn't happen :lol:
If those pics haven't been victimized when I was cleaning my SSD, I'll post 'em soon. ;)
I can actually park turnpike doubles faster than standard doubles because those have the 2 axle spreader/dolly. The b-double and even my b-triple are much easier than all of them though xD.
You got my respect, man. I only tried backing up a TP double once, and since I didn't write about that, you can tell what was the result. :D You've motivated me to give it a second chance though.
Rebuilt? So it's your own mod or something? I need to learn how to do that because I have my own trailer ideas lol. I've never done any 3D modeling before though.
Nah, just visited a service center and changed the axle configuration. Poor words were used.

I'd actually like to port an asphalt tanker from 18 WoS into ATS because I like its looks. And then make a stepdeck. And then another... But I have about as much experience with Blender as you do. Made a cube by the official modding tutorial and am thinking of making a second step in that direction for about half a year now. :roll:
TransTruckingUSA

#127 Post by TransTruckingUSA » 24 Feb 2021 19:01

Parking doubles is what i do when feeling Semi-Bored with 53" Reefer hauls. Just spices up things abit, often end up using B doubles. Still alot of fun! Only ever play with 3 articulating points if its a heavy haul using the lowboy´s with the single axle Rear extender. Still alot of fun! Im sure i still have few hairs left to pull xD
TransTruckingUSA

WOT // https://www.worldoftrucks.com/en/profile/4860
“The road is my home, the truck is my castle, and the journey is my life.”
Reignman

#128 Post by Reignman » 14 Mar 2021 18:23

Skoot wrote: 21 Feb 2021 16:35You got my respect, man. I only tried backing up a TP double once, and since I didn't write about that, you can tell what was the result. :D You've motivated me to give it a second chance though.
Alright, I've almost given you a month now, how's that TP parking going haha? I thought I had a little more inspiration or motivation to post for you, but I guess I didn't take any screenshots of my latest TP attempts. So this midnight parking of a b-triple will have to suffice for now.

[ external image ]
MikePetersenTrucking wrote: 24 Feb 2021 19:01Parking doubles is what i do when feeling Semi-Bored with 53" Reefer hauls. Just spices up things abit, often end up using B doubles. Still alot of fun! Only ever play with 3 articulating points if its a heavy haul using the lowboy´s with the single axle Rear extender. Still alot of fun! Im sure i still have few hairs left to pull xD
Yeah it's definitely a nice way to spice things up a bit. It works the other way too, I've been driving doubles and triples around for so long, now I went back to those nice relaxing 53 footers for a bit lol.

[ external image ]

You guys need to post some images (or video) of your double parking.
Skoot

#129 Post by Skoot » 16 Mar 2021 09:12

I downsized even more - to a 48' Alutrec flatbed, to be exact. :) But my go-to trucks now are a strecthed frame Peterbilt 389 (I pretend I bought it from Fitzgerald as a glider kit, lol) and a Western.Star 49X that's shorter but still has about 3 feet of space between the cab and the front wall of a van trailer (they usually have their kingpin set 3' back from the front, most flatbeds and stepdecks have it further front AFAIK) from the factory, which is pretty cool, so there's no shortage in the overall length department, so to say.

I somehow entirely forgot that I wanted to drive around with a TPD because I wanted a 2x53' unit, which is a mod I don't have as of now. I'm happy with what I've got though. :)
Reignman

#130 Post by Reignman » 23 Mar 2021 21:50

I'm sure trying to park a road train with a stretched 389 would be a lot of fun, or a complete nightmare depending on what kind of mood you're in haha. A 2x53 TPD would be nice. I wish I could create a b-triple using 53, 48, or even 45 foot trailers, but those first 2 trailers in the chain are limited to 28 footers unless I make my own 53 footers with the back 5th wheel. The stock game only has the 28 footers with that. Otherwise you just need to create a new config file. Like throwing an extra 48 footer onto a TPD to make it a TPT, like I did awhile ago.

[ external image ]

It's just a tad longer than the b-triple there lol. I never try to park that beast though, I only drive it around. I never tried a turnpike quad. And I don't know if it's possible to create a turnpike double, triple, or quad with 53 footers without creating a whole new trailer model that has the hook. I believe only the 48 footers have the hook. And the game wouldn't allow me to make a quad longer than 28x28x28x53 either, so a TP quad probably won't work either. I made one with five 28 footers, but it wouldn't load. I've seen videos with 6 or more trailers so I don't know how they did it.

Return to “Gameplay Questions”