Parking Doubles - Is it Possible?

Reignman

Re: Parking Doubles - Is it Possible?

#111 Post by Reignman » 27 Nov 2020 23:08

Because of the 1/20th scale in this game, I just realized this 150 foot (28x28x28x53) b-quad that I was messing around with earlier is over a half a mile long lol. A mile is just 264 feet (5280 / 20). I'd add a few more trailers to make a mile long train, but this 150 footer is as long as the game will allow.

[ external image ]
Skoot

#112 Post by Skoot » 08 Dec 2020 19:21

You're a lil' crazy, I must say. :lol: I've tried driving around in a Scania straight truck with a B-Double trailer attached via dolly in ETS2. Barely could fit it on some roundabouts and ramps.
Reignman

#113 Post by Reignman » 20 Dec 2020 00:11

Skoot wrote: 08 Dec 2020 19:21You're a lil' crazy, I must say. :lol: I've tried driving around in a Scania straight truck with a B-Double trailer attached via dolly in ETS2. Barely could fit it on some roundabouts and ramps.
Oh there's no way I'm driving that beast around lol. Yet! Haha no, I probably won't use a quad. For one, some docks don't even have room for my b-triple, and the whole reason I use them is because they're so much more fun/challenging to park. And two, there aren't many jobs available for the triple, so I imagine it's going to be a lot worse with a quad. Not many places need 80k pounds of butter I guess lol. So it won't be much fun if I never get a chance to park them. I was only trying to see what was possible. The game wouldn't load my 10 trailer train xD. 4 was the limit.

I was playing ETS2 for a bit recently and the one thing I noticed right away (other than not understanding any of the road signs lol), was how the roads seemed a lot narrower than in ATS. Things seem more "cramped". I haven't gotten to try a double over there yet though. I do like the maneuverability of all those stubby cabs you got over there though lol. I would hate to see how painful those cramped roads would be with a Kenworth W900 studio sleeper or something lol. You need to try a b-double (no middle dolly), those are more fun than the double you mention (with the middle dolly).

BTW, if you think I'm crazy, have you seen this video by Squirrel?

Sure that looks like fun just to mess around with for a bit, but he doesn't get to park it, so that's what ruins it for me. I would probably drive a quad around sometimes if there were any docks big enough to accommodate it.
Reignman

#114 Post by Reignman » 20 Dec 2020 02:44

Alright I think I've finally unlocked the formula of parking b-triples so that's become a little more enjoyable. Gotta admit, it was a little frustrating at first lol. Not only because of the small docks, but because after you finally get the back trailer lined up with the parking spot and move on to trying to get the middle trailer lined up, the back trailer tends to not want to stay where it was, and it starts to feel like you're trying to solve a Rubik's Cube xD. Stoopid back trailer, stop moving. I'm going to comeback there and unhook you if you don't start cooperating ... oh wait.

Oh silly Tidbit, I remember when you made parking 53 footers seem difficult. Well you're still a pain in my ass, but not as much as Voltison.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

Like a glove.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

This one required my special new technique that I've developed. It's not against the rules to unhitch the load to reposition the cab is it? Yeah I didn't think so. I call it the "Time Saver".

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

Fun fact: The time limit they give you to deliver a load is when you have to have it docked by, not when you arrive. I arrived on time with one of these triples, but it took me an hour to park so I ended up with my first "late" delivery. I had words with the manager. It's not my fault they designed their store like the delivery area was an afterthought.

This store design is perfect ... oh crap, we forgot to leave room for deliveries. What's this area for over here? Well that's where we were going to put the sidewalk.

That's how I imagine the design meeting went for some of these docks anyway.
Reignman

#115 Post by Reignman » 07 Jan 2021 10:27

2 more difficult spots that tested my patience lol.

[ external image ]

You can tell by the length of the shadow how long it took haha. In fact I almost gave up on it.

[ external image ]

I didn't think this one was even possible, so I started off only to test it, but I ended up getting back there somehow. I only had to unhitch/reposition about 30 times.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

And this one really was impossible lol. C'mon Avalanche, move your crap. I really need to find out how to delete objects so I can free up some of these parking spots.

[ external image ]
Reignman

#116 Post by Reignman » 14 Jan 2021 19:59

Alright after parking these triples for about 80 loads, I decided to go back and take a stab at a normal double again (in this case a turnpike double), to see if it seems any easier. And yeah, it does actually. They have the same number of pivot points as the b-triple, but that short dolly in the middle is what makes the 2nd pivot point more painful than with a b-triple. It's more difficult to tell when you need to start making a correction, and you don't have as much time to make the correction when you do notice it before you have to pull forward again. In other words, there's a little more back-n-forth xD. With the turnpike, it's 2 really long pivot points with a short one in the middle, so it's even more difficult.

When I first tried to park a double, it took about 3 game hours, this one took just under an hour. It was an extremely tight fit, but at least there was plenty of room to get it setup.

[ external image ]

Ahh dang, not quite far back enough xD.

[ external image ]

Like a glove.

[ external image ]

Eventually I'll have to take a dolly double back to Eddy's to see if I can finally slay the beast that inspired this thread 7 months ago to begin with. I'm coming for you Eddy.

In the meantime, I'll continue having fun with the triples haha.

I've gotten this job before, but wasn't in the mood to take a stab at it at that time, but now I'm back! That's a long tight path to back a triple, so it requires the right state of mind xD.

[ external image ]

But I must have been in the zone today because it was going a lot smoother than I expected.

[ external image ]

Way too smooth in fact lol. Normally I'd have to pull forward and make corrections about 20 times to get this far, but I got this far only needing to pull forward once or twice.

[ external image ]

The smoothness continued from there all the way around the corner until I finally had to do some adjusting. Why can't they all go that well?

[ external image ]

The farmer said good enough at this point. He was probably worried about his precious wood panel station wagon collection back there, but I said nah, my OCD isn't done torturing me yet.

[ external image ]

There we go. The OCD is finally satisfied. Only took about an hour game time from job start.

[ external image ]

Don't know how we're going to get those containers loaded now though. I didn't check, maybe that silo had a crane up on it.

[ external image ]
GT182

#117 Post by GT182 » 15 Jan 2021 03:58

My hat is off to you Reignman. IRL with all this practice you just might do it. ;) IRL I don't think many would even attempt it. I know for certain I wouldn't, and I have the Double and Triple endorsement on my CDL. And thank God I never had a job where I had to use either of them.

My way of thinking is that companies started running doubles and triples to put guys out of work. That's one or two trucks not needed to pull trailers, hence no need for one or two drivers. And add that up with the number of doubles and triples some companies run and that means a lot of guys out of work.

And imagine the number of drivers needed if the railroads stopped hauling all those trailers you see on rail cars. I've been told that shipping trailers by rail doesn't get them delivered as fast as you'd think. That trucks hauling them do get them to their destination far faster than the railroad does. So "Truck It... Don't Track It". LOL
Gary - CB code name: CW
Formerly from Northern NY on the Ontario/Quebec borders.
I've hauled ass down the road to deliver new cars and trucks, fuel, freight, and produce. Now I'm addicted to ATS doing the same thing in a simulation. :roll:
Reignman

#118 Post by Reignman » 15 Jan 2021 17:34

GT182 wrote: 15 Jan 2021 03:58My hat is off to you Reignman. IRL with all this practice you just might do it. ;) IRL I don't think many would even attempt it.
I've never drove a truck IRL, but I would attempt parking a double or triple for fun, if I knew I wouldn't be held responsible for any damages haha. To be fair, I don't attempt to park too many triples from inside the cab. I've attempted a few, but because of my crappy PC, the mirror resolution and view distance is too low and I get a headache after awhile trying to figure out which pixel my rear tires are, so until I get my new PC built and can crank up the settings, I use 3rd person cam to park them, which makes it a little easier. I park the doubles from inside the cab though.

But from my understanding, they don't park doubles or triples like this, do they? They break them down and park them individually? Can't wait until the game supports that method because that would probably be fun too. I only park them this way because the only other option is to skip the parking phase, but that's no fun. What would be the point? I wouldn't have created the triple if I didn't enjoy the challenge of parking them lol. Parking singles is way too boring. If the docks were bigger or had more room, I'd be trying to park quads too. Maybe.
GT182 wrote: 15 Jan 2021 03:58I know for certain I wouldn't, and I have the Double and Triple endorsement on my CDL. And thank God I never had a job where I had to use either of them.
Didn't you have to prove you could use them haha? Why are you glad you never had to use them? I imagine they'd be stressful hauling around through cities or something, and cornering, but you'd never have to park them IRL. Don't you at least try them in game? You gotta try the b-double at least. The standard double is no fun, but the b-double is an interesting experience compared to parking singles. The triple even more so, but that requires some modding. I was hoping to encourage a little more double activity with this thread lol.
GT182 wrote: 15 Jan 2021 03:58My way of thinking is that companies started running doubles and triples to put guys out of work.
Well probably to save money themselves, which yeah put guys out of work. I mean I don't think their goal was to strictly put guys out of work. Could be worse, they could allow the road trains like they do in Australia.
GT182 wrote: 15 Jan 2021 03:58And imagine the number of drivers needed if the railroads stopped hauling all those trailers you see on rail cars.
Is that why I see trains hauling trailers? I didn't know they were carrying goods. I figured that was just the most affordable way for a company to get it's empty trailers back to the distribution center or something lol. Well those trailers don't get to Rail Export by themselves do they haha?
GT182 wrote: 15 Jan 2021 03:58I've been told that shipping trailers by rail doesn't get them delivered as fast as you'd think.
No, just cheaper haha.
GT182

#119 Post by GT182 » 16 Jan 2021 01:17

No, IRL they do not park doubles or triples the way it's done in ATS. The driver for the run with dbls or trpls usually hooks them up, and breaks them down at the end of the run to make his deliveries. Tho some companies do have people that do this other than the driver, or they help him. I do know that Toll roads like the New York State Thruway have compounds that are for hooking them together and for breaking them down for deliveries. Also for bringing them in and out individually from and back to the main terminal. And BTW, dbls and trpls are never parked lke they are in ATS. Never at a dock, or a place where the whole setup can't be driven straight thru with not obstructions. Nor parked where it's too close to get the truck out.

And a note on the KW trucks we deliver in ATS is nothing like how it's really done. IRL only 3 at a time are delivered. The lead truck is the last truck to be delivered, and the driver gets to fly or take a bus back to pick up another run. He doesn't sleep in that lead truck, but does get a motel room every night he's out on the road. I wish that could be done in ATS, but it will probably never happen.

*** Tho I do wish SCS would make it possible for us to deliver all the truck brands they have in ATS. More work more money. LOL

I didn't have to at the time they changed the Class 1 to CDL A B & C licenses. In NY the book was sent to our homes, with test in it, to study and then do the test and send it in. The only thing 4 of us that did it together didn't do was the school bus section at the end. If we'd done that we would have had the school bus endorsement and not had to take the road test for it. But we lost out on that part. All was a freebee if you already had your Class 1. I might add it wasn't all that easy as the test questions were tricky. We had to study and then we discussed the questions, and then cussed the test.

That was only my way of looking at companies that used doubles and triples. I knew guys that did lose work due to doubles, and guys that got work due to need drivers.

As for railroads. Yes the trailers you see on them are loaded 99.9% of the time. And they due cause truck drivers to be out of work. And yes what is in the trailers takes longer to get to their final destination. Remember, they sit in rail yards and have to wait to be added in to the rest of the cars being pulled to the same destination or dropped along the way. And as for them hauled cheaper, I'd say yes but not a lot cheaper. Also remember trains do go off the tracks. And what's on them usually turns into junk. Same with trucks on the highways, but they're on a smaller scale than the railroads wrecks. ;)

Back home in NY when I was hauling new cars to to dealers we had a standing rivalry we the railroad guys we knew. They sit in our local brewery and shout "Track it don't truck it!" to us and we'd shout back "Truck it don't track it... if you want it in one piece!" back to them. Good times never to be seen again. LOL
Gary - CB code name: CW
Formerly from Northern NY on the Ontario/Quebec borders.
I've hauled ass down the road to deliver new cars and trucks, fuel, freight, and produce. Now I'm addicted to ATS doing the same thing in a simulation. :roll:
Seifer1968

#120 Post by Seifer1968 » 07 Feb 2021 05:28

It's not as easy as it sounds, but once you understand the dynamics ...
I write in very bad English ... Sorry!

Return to “Gameplay Questions”