Parking Doubles - Is it Possible?

Fawls

Re: Parking Doubles - Is it Possible?

#11 Post by Fawls » 10 May 2020 06:33

enmei wrote: 06 May 2020 09:48 I refer to the chasing the rear trailer and getting it to where you want it to go, With the truck n trailer unit for the trailer to go left you will push the back of the truck out to the right. But on the B-train you have a trailer between the tractor unit and the rear trailer to push the rear trailer to the left you need to push the tractor unit to the left and in doing so pushes the front trailer to the right as you would be doing with the truck n trailer. that's what I meant be the opposite direction.
I see what you are saying now, you had me confused as well. When backing a 'B' train the direction of the trailer was the important bit to me the truck was just a tool I didn't have to think too much about, just different ways of looking at it, in effect the steering wheel is turned the same way for both.

I was keen to try it but never got the opportunity to try backing an 'A' train as they were being made obsolete by 'B' trains and truck & trailers, not so keen any more, I haven't driven a truck for income in over 11 years now. ;)
DO NOT BUY FROM CSIO TECHNOLOGIES
They'll take your payment immediately and not fulfill order.

Comp Specs: R7 5700X, 6900XT, 32GB Ram.
Reignman

#12 Post by Reignman » 10 May 2020 12:29

cip wrote: 06 May 2020 12:19after months of constant trying I can park the heavy trailer with the condition that it does not have a spreader attached :lol:
Yeah the heavy loads (without the spreader) have become my favorite loads to park now. A bit more challenging but not impossible like the doubles.
cip wrote: 06 May 2020 12:19I also succeeded to park a double trailer once but I do not remember what type it was. I had enough space ahead so I placed the truck exactly in line with the parking space then slowly backwards with constant low turning left and right of the steering wheel. in this way I did not let the dolly turning excessively in one direction and when that happened I moved a bit forward to align the dolly and then start again the same maneuver until the end... since this takes a lot of time, I gave up on trying a 2nd time :lol:
Same here. I only succeeded in parking the one double (shown above) because I had enough room to pull forward. I started at a 45 degree angle but still managed to walk them back, but it took an insane amount of time and constantly pulling forward to straighten the dolly, so I don't waste the time anymore. With some companies the clock keeps moving at highway speed too, like the Eddy's in Vegas, so I can't imagine how much time would pass there trying to park a double lol. Not worth the 270xp.
Reignman

#13 Post by Reignman » 10 May 2020 12:35

room217au wrote: 06 May 2020 20:23
Reignman wrote: 03 May 2020 05:58 I took a double this time thinking there's no way they'd make me try to park it there lol. But ok, I'm up for a challenge.
Reversing those trailer sets around a 90deg corner (like at Eddy's Market) is not impossible. What makes it impossible in that scenario is the lack of distance between the parking 'bay' and the fence at the front of the property.
Yeah I do not like Eddy's. I don't even take 53' trailers to that company anymore. Only 45'. It's even difficult to park the doubles there with the 25xp parking option. They want it along the fence in the front and you just can't make that turn very easily through that narrow gate.
room217au wrote: 06 May 2020 20:23Since SCS introduced owned trailers, you can purchase one and 'free roam' around, attempting to reverse that trailer set into parking lots, rest areas, etc
Maybe I'll have to buy one and practice. I don't see myself getting too much better at it though because that middle dolly is just way too sensitive and has a mind of it's own. The heavy load trailers are so much easier because the dolly is easy to control.
Space_Night

#14 Post by Space_Night » 10 May 2020 14:26

Space_Night

#15 Post by Space_Night » 12 May 2020 14:28

@Reignman

it is and its a pain to do it
Reignman

#16 Post by Reignman » 20 May 2020 23:27

Space_Night wrote: 12 May 2020 14:28 @Reignman

it is and its a pain to do it
Yeah I've only pulled it off the one time so far. Haven't tried too many other times because I just didn't have the patience lol. My successful attempt was just as painful as the ones in these 2 videos.

Are any of those videos yours, or just ones you found on YT? Both these people had a pretty good strategy or approach to start with. Which is the part I need to work on lol. That initial lineup of the trailers is key. The Rail Export yard is roomier, but yeah, that Eddy's yard is a pain lol.

I liked his approach by driving all the way in and circling out. He's lucky there wasn't a trailer in that 2nd spot like there was for me haha. What trailer configuration is that BTW? Is that the turnpike double or a mod? I haven't seen the turnpike doubles yet. Both trailers and even the dolly had the double axle. Didn't seem to make it any easier though xD.

And I had to laugh at that first video, halfway through they turned of the air brake simulation lol. I was like holy cow, it's so much more painful with that on. Mine was off too.

Believe it or not, I actually tried to park a triple the other day. I thought sure, why not? That would make me a legend right? But OMG the patience ran out quickly. It was at a Bushnell and there was plenty of room for me to circle around the yard and get the 3 trailers nearly lined up perfectly with the spot, maybe 5 degrees off. Pretty much all I had to do was back it straight up, but wow. I thought having one dolly with a mind of it's own was bad, but two is definitely impossible. I actually had pretty decent control of the first two trailers, but yeah I couldn't get that 2nd dolly to do anything but turn to the left xD.

I'll probably keep trying, but right now it's definitely not worth the 270xp. The articulated lowboys are fun though, so I'll keep going for the 150xp on those. I stay in the cab to make it a little more challenging.

[ external image ]
GT182

#17 Post by GT182 » 20 May 2020 23:52

From what I've always seen when I was in NY State, doubles pulled into a compound yard or terminal yard and the rear trailer was left there. The lead trailer was then taken to where it was dropped or unloaded. If unloaded it was taken back to the yard and the other trailer was picked up and taken to where it was to be dropped or unloaded, or someone else took it. As far as I know they were never pulled into a delivery point together, unless there was room for both to be separated. But I could be wrong. I have the doubles and triples endorsement, but never had to use it.... thank God.

B-trains would be much easier.... no dolly involved.
Gary - CB code name: CW
Formerly from Northern NY on the Ontario/Quebec borders.
I've hauled ass down the road to deliver new cars and trucks, fuel, freight, and produce. Now I'm addicted to ATS doing the same thing in a simulation. :roll:
Reignman

#18 Post by Reignman » 25 May 2020 22:33

GT182 wrote: 20 May 2020 23:52 From what I've always seen when I was in NY State, doubles pulled into a compound yard or terminal yard and the rear trailer was left there. The lead trailer was then taken to where it was dropped or unloaded. If unloaded it was taken back to the yard and the other trailer was picked up and taken to where it was to be dropped or unloaded, or someone else took it. As far as I know they were never pulled into a delivery point together, unless there was room for both to be separated. But I could be wrong. I have the doubles and triples endorsement, but never had to use it.... thank God.

B-trains would be much easier.... no dolly involved.
Yeah that makes the most sense and is the way I assumed they did it IRL, because otherwise how would you even unload the front trailer lol? Plus the dolly has a 5th wheel and the rear trailer has a kingpin and landing gear. Hopefully in the future we can dock these the proper way. I would take these loads more often if you could because I prefer backing trailers up to the dock. It's no fun parking them off to the side, like you have to with anything that isn't a single.
Grizzly

#19 Post by Grizzly » 25 May 2020 23:16

You could use the b-trains, set the option that allows you to back them in and run one of the mods that allows you to run them in all states.
GT182

#20 Post by GT182 » 25 May 2020 23:47

B-trains I saw up in NY were flatbeds that came out of Canada hauling lumber or lattice fencing. They did come across the border and head into the US for deliveries. They could be pulled in to where they would unload and a forklift would unload both without unhooking them from each other.

Trucker71 (George) would more than likely know more about them than I do seeing he lives in Canada. NY would not let US truckers use them back in the 70,, 80s and 90s when I was up there. These days I see none around here in Delaware, NJ, PA, or MD. Only short doubles with a dolly. 48 foot Doubles were/are restricted for use only on the New York State Thruway. They have to be split up and cannot be used on 2 lane highways or any other 4 lane highway.
Gary - CB code name: CW
Formerly from Northern NY on the Ontario/Quebec borders.
I've hauled ass down the road to deliver new cars and trucks, fuel, freight, and produce. Now I'm addicted to ATS doing the same thing in a simulation. :roll:

Return to “Gameplay Questions”