Parking Doubles - Is it Possible?

Reignman

Re: Parking Doubles - Is it Possible?

#101 Post by Reignman » 31 Oct 2020 02:37

Remember this one from 4 months ago?

[ external image ]

Well I'm back, but this time with my b-triple haha.

[ external image ]

We're going to have to turn around and go with a "wrap-around" approach.

[ external image ]

Yeah, that just might work.

[ external image ]

Then just snake it around like that for a little bit.

[ external image ]

There we go, looking good. Now do I have enough room to straighten it out?

[ external image ]

Ahh yes, a few moments later and voila! Good enough. I forgot to time it, but based on the darkness it looked like it maybe took a couple of hours game time, 7ish to 9ish.

[ external image ]

Piece of cake, and looks like I have just enough room left over to squeeze in another trailer, so I'll have to come back and try this one with my quad someday haha.
Samus L. Jackson

#102 Post by Samus L. Jackson » 06 Nov 2020 13:38

I was wondering why the option to park a double was always greyed out when completing a delivery. I thought I had to be at the max XP level or something to unlock it. Apparently the game just does not allow for parking doubles (unless you're screwing around with a config file?) because in real life, you wouldn't be parking a double (or triple). That's what I've gathered from this thread.

Good to know! I was wondering this whole time.
Reignman

#103 Post by Reignman » 07 Nov 2020 06:30

Samus L. Jackson wrote: 06 Nov 2020 13:38I was wondering why the option to park a double was always greyed out when completing a delivery. I thought I had to be at the max XP level or something to unlock it.
Haha same here. I was always thinking to myself, when do you unlock the 150 and 270xp parking options?

The setting is found in your profile config file, not the main folder config file.

Code: Select all

uset g_simple_parking_doubles "0"
Samus L. Jackson wrote: 06 Nov 2020 13:38Apparently the game just does not allow for parking doubles (unless you're screwing around with a config file?)
Yep, and for good reason. I imagine a ton of people would be complaining about how impossible it is to park a standard double, turnpike double, or the triple, because it is lol. If it has that dolly between the trailers, then don't bother trying to park it, take the 25XP option. The only double worth trying to park is the b-double because it only has the 2 pivot points. The b-triple I'm parking in the post above is a modified b-double (more file editing required).
Samus L. Jackson wrote: 06 Nov 2020 13:38because in real life, you wouldn't be parking a double (or triple). That's what I've gathered from this thread.
There's another topic around here somewhere about that. Breaking down doubles/triples so we can park the individual trailers. I like that option too. Parking b-doubles is a nice little challenge though, you should give it a shot. You have to buy your own though (have to own a garage in Nevada/Utah) because they're never offered at the freight market. If you mess around with those for awhile, parking singles becomes insanely easy xD. In fact now that I've been messing around with the b-triple for awhile, I went back to a b-double and even those seem pretty easy to park now. The b-triple can get frustrating because there just isn't much room to maneuver at most companies. It's main purpose is to make b-doubles seem easier lol.
Some newbie driver

#104 Post by Some newbie driver » 08 Nov 2020 23:00

Samus L. Jackson wrote: 06 Nov 2020 13:38Apparently the game just does not allow for parking doubles... ...because in real life, you wouldn't be parking a double (or triple).
Quite the contrary, you will find plenty of videos of professional IRL truckers parking whole combinations of doubles as their usual part of the job. Either the kind of Reignman uses, with fifth well joins (B-trains, B-doubles or whatevcer they are called) or the kind that use a dolly thus with an extra pivot point.

The most extreme example I ever seen is that video. Not only the skill to do it, but how freakin fast that trucker does all the maneuver. I'm sure that trucker has done that maneuver so many times that it could do it blindfolded.
Grizzly

#105 Post by Grizzly » 08 Nov 2020 23:56

Damn that is impressive!
Samus L. Jackson

#106 Post by Samus L. Jackson » 09 Nov 2020 15:43

What kind of truck is that? Looks kinda small...accelerates like an RC car! Very quick. Regardless, quite impressive indeed.
Reignman

#107 Post by Reignman » 09 Nov 2020 22:25

That is impressive with a dolly. Love how he just swings the back trailer and dolly out of the way to dump the front trailer lol.

What I've learned about parking doubles or trailers with multiple pivot points is, the more distance you have between the pivot points, the easier it is to park. Which is why the single axle dolly trailers are so difficult. Think about the short distance between the 2nd and 3rd pivot point with a standard double (with dolly) configuration. Now compare that to the b-triple (no dolly) I was parking earlier. Both configurations have 3 total pivot points, but the distance between the 2nd and 3rd pivot point on the b-triple is much longer, so it's easier to control, because you can see the angle of the pivot point better and know when to make a correction sooner. When you have a dolly in there, by the time you realize you need to make a small correction, it's too late and you have to pull forward to reset.

With a lot of practice you do start to get a better "feel" for the dolly, and when you need to make corrections. I was getting a bit better at it when I was briefly hauling turnpike doubles and trying to park those, and mainly because I was using a dual wheel dolly, which is a bit longer than a single wheel dolly. Still difficult, but you can definitely tell the difference between the dual and single axle dollies.

Back to the video above. Not to take away from his skill, but the dolly he's using is quite a bit longer than the ones we have in game, so it's almost like he's swinging a b-double around (2 pivot points), which as I've said, is much easier than a standard double with a short dolly (3 pivot points).
Some newbie driver

#108 Post by Some newbie driver » 11 Nov 2020 21:10

Yes, the dolly he's using is longer than usual, because he needs room to unload the front tipper. But even with that, they are still way more harder to control than the 2 pivot points of a B-Double and it does all the maneuver without a single correction. I saw that video many years ago and so far I've never seen anyone more skilled than that driver at maneuvering.

@Samus L. Jackson, if I had to bet it's a Sisu rigid truck. It's probably tailored to do do short runs on harsh climate and dirt paths so probably high powered and high reduction in the drivetrain; what will give it very fast reaction and acceleration on low speeds.

Regards
Reignman

#109 Post by Reignman » 13 Nov 2020 07:33

Some newbie driver wrote: 11 Nov 2020 21:10so far I've never seen anyone more skilled than that driver at maneuvering.
Ohhhh you just wait. I'm getting plenty of practice with the b-double, and now my new b-triple. By the time I get my new PC built, maybe I'll have enough skill to post some video. I can't record video and play at the same time with the current PC unless I only want to have 5 FPS lol.
Reignman

#110 Post by Reignman » 27 Nov 2020 22:58

My first in-cab parking attempt of the b-triple. Normally I park all trailers from inside the cab, but the triple combined with my low 1366x768 resolution gives me a headache. I gotta sit here squinting at the mirror trying to figure out which pixel is my rear tandems haha.

[ external image ]

It's like the cab is in a different time zone in this shot.

[ external image ]

Here's how difficult it is to see the back of the trailer in my side mirrors. I can't tell when I'm inside the green rectangle most of the time.

[ external image ]

But look at all that forward room at the Phoenix airport. That's why I chose this job to finally attempt to park from inside the cab. At most other docks I have to come in at a 90 degree angle to park the triple.

Return to “Gameplay Questions”