Parking Doubles - Is it Possible?

plykkegaard

Re: Parking Doubles - Is it Possible?

#161 Post by plykkegaard » 05 Jul 2021 13:49

Yes it is inspiring :mrgreen:

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Reignman

#162 Post by Reignman » 09 Jul 2021 09:38

Skoot wrote: 05 Jul 2021 12:56You're one crazy dude, but I like what you're doing. :lol:
I'm practicing haha. I keep forgetting, but one of these days I'm going to return to that Eddy's with a standard double (with a dolly), which started this thread to begin with, and I'm going to back that sucker into that impossible spot like a champ. I can't remember the last time I even tried to park a standard double. The turnpike doubles are similar and I'm getting pretty good at those. This might be my best one yet, under 5 minutes. I remember when I couldn't park them from inside the cab, but now that's the way I prefer. It seems easier, unless it's a blindside, then I have to jump out more often. I need that lean out view xD.
plykkegaard wrote: 05 Jul 2021 13:49Yes it is inspiring :mrgreen:
Thanks, I'm glad someone is enjoying them. Have you given it a shot yourself? I can't be the only one parking doubles. It's definitely frustrating early on. Still is sometimes, but I don't post the ones that take 20 minutes lol. I'll post a bloopers reel of those someday. But yeah, ooof it gets ugly sometimes. Not this one though, it went fairly well. I'm getting good at parking them from these bird eye views xD.
I attempted to park a b-triple in that back corner at rail export recently and it took over 30 minutes, and I almost rage quit on it, but I stuck with it. It sure is painful to watch, even at 5x speed lol. I don't know if I'll upload that one, my net is too slow.

[ external image ]
plykkegaard

#163 Post by plykkegaard » 09 Jul 2021 09:46

Reignman wrote: 09 Jul 2021 09:38 Thanks, I'm glad someone is enjoying them. Have you given it a shot yourself?
Yes b-double runs like a champ, turnpikes is an awful sight
Lowboys etc are impossible, I wish SCS had an option to lift the jeep as IRL

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Reignman

#164 Post by Reignman » 09 Jul 2021 10:21

plykkegaard wrote: 09 Jul 2021 09:46Yes b-double runs like a champ, turnpikes is an awful sight
Lowboys etc are impossible, I wish SCS had an option to lift the jeep as IRL
Well you gotta share some screenshots of those b-double park jobs.

You think the lowboys are impossible? You mean the ones with a trailing jeep/dolly (3 pivot points)? Yeah I haven't tried one of those yet. I park a lowboy with the lead jeep (2 pivot points) all the time. They're not much different than a b-double. I'll have to take a stab at the trailing jeep one of these days.

This is the lowboy I park. It doesn't have that trailing 3 axle jeep/dolly however.

[ external image ]
plykkegaard

#165 Post by plykkegaard » 09 Jul 2021 10:24

The trailing jeep is just too light I think, as soon as you reverse it'll turn unpredictable

RustyNail-1

#166 Post by RustyNail-1 » 09 Jul 2021 11:26

Backing up a B-double? Lesson 1: Patience. And many of that. 30-40 minutes to get him in place, are no exception, let alone shame. I do it in real life, but I can tell you hundreds of stories, but the feeling do you have to develop yourself, it's like swimming; once you get it, you will not loose it. Take a few moments to look on Youtube. Smart Trucking has educational videos about this, and a real good one is to watch videos from mr. Dave Jackson. He has a company in Australia specialized in Roadtrains, and he trains drivers for it
Reignman

#167 Post by Reignman » 11 Jul 2021 07:45

plykkegaard wrote: 09 Jul 2021 10:24The trailing jeep is just too light I think, as soon as you reverse it'll turn unpredictable
That's what I originally thought about the standard double with the single axle dolly in the middle. That dolly was too unpredictable and seemed to have a mind of its own, which is why I started this thread. I tried to park one once and it made me lose my mind, but now after a lot of practice with the turnpike doubles, I'm learning you do have control, but the pivot point is so small with those dollies that they get sideways faster than you can make the correction, so you just gotta get better at anticipating those corrections. It certainly helps to have a truck with a good turn radius xD.
RustyNail-1 wrote: 09 Jul 2021 11:26Backing up a B-double? Lesson 1: Patience. And many of that. 30-40 minutes to get him in place, are no exception, let alone shame. I do it in real life, but I can tell you hundreds of stories, but the feeling do you have to develop yourself, it's like swimming; once you get it, you will not loose it. Take a few moments to look on Youtube. Smart Trucking has educational videos about this, and a real good one is to watch videos from mr. Dave Jackson. He has a company in Australia specialized in Roadtrains, and he trains drivers for it
Oh man, 30-40 min to park a b-double? I don't have the patience for that xD. If I don't have it parked in 3 minutes I consider it a personal failure. 7 minutes for a triple or a turnpike. You're right though, once you get the hang of it, it's a little more fun. Ooooo boy, frustrating at first though, for sure. I've been watching a youtuber called callthemall who drives around a b-double. I've never driven a truck in real life, so I sometimes wonder how well the skills I learned in game would translate to parking an actual b-double, or even a single for that matter lol. Since you drive them irl, has it made it easier to drive them in-game, or is it completely different?

https://www.youtube.com/c/callthemall/videos

Speaking of personal failures, I made a fun little video about that earlier haha.
geebee75

#168 Post by geebee75 » 11 Jul 2021 23:29

Eddy's is an entirely unrealistic and ridiculous layout. No one would build a parking lot with a dock like that and expect trucks to be able to safely use it.
Reignman

#169 Post by Reignman » 17 Jul 2021 04:58

plykkegaard wrote: 09 Jul 2021 10:24The trailing jeep is just too light I think, as soon as you reverse it'll turn unpredictable
Alright chief, I bought myself the 9 axle lowboy finally, so we'll find out how much of a challenge that trailing jeep is. I haven't found a job for it yet, but I did test it out real quick and recorded my first attempt, so I'll upload that soon. I got a feel for it and can control the back jeep somewhat, but it quickly gets pretty squirrely. By the time you sense a correction needed in the jeep, it takes too long to maneuver that 40 foot middle section into the right angle, so my anticipation needs to get better xD. Glad I'm not playing with the airbreak simulation on lol.
geebee75 wrote: 11 Jul 2021 23:29Eddy's is an entirely unrealistic and ridiculous layout. No one would build a parking lot with a dock like that and expect trucks to be able to safely use it.
You wouldn't believe how often I find myself saying that at many of the docks I visit in this game lol. I know they're meant for 53 footers and shorter, but even then some of them are ridiculous. I mean forget the size, like you said, it's the layout that doesn't make sense at a lot of them. I understand the devs want to make it challenging, and that would be fine at some docks, but I'd rather have realistic. Like the receiving docks at the Wallbert warehouses, why is the entrance on the right side of the yard? You either have to try to park blindside, or you have to drive to the end and turnaround. That would be a simple layout change. And don't get me started on the unnecessary clutter. Does this stack of pallets need to be here? This light pole? This wagon or vehicle that could/should be moved when a delivery shows up?
Xaagon

#170 Post by Xaagon » 17 Jul 2021 14:09

geebee75 wrote: 11 Jul 2021 23:29 Eddy's is an entirely unrealistic and ridiculous layout. No one would build a parking lot with a dock like that and expect trucks to be able to safely use it.
You'd be surprised how many dock layouts were designed by people that don't have much of a clue how trucks work. Hopefully ATS and ETS2 become popular enough that the next generation of warehouse designers won't have this deficiency. :)
Reignman wrote: 17 Jul 2021 04:58 And don't get me started on the unnecessary clutter. Does this stack of pallets need to be here? This light pole? This wagon or vehicle that could/should be moved when a delivery shows up?
Same issue with the light poles and to a smaller extent the pallet stacks. The vehicles in the way I do take issue with. In reality that other truck or forklift that's in the way would be moved. It would be totally cool if SCS could add some kind of animation that had somebody come out of the building and move this for you when you got close enough!

Return to “Gameplay Questions”