Parking Doubles - Is it Possible?

Skoot

Re: Parking Doubles - Is it Possible?

#131 Post by Skoot » 24 Mar 2021 19:45

Nah, I started driving a Scot with my old B-double flatbed today. Not gonna return to Peterbilt in the next 10 thousand miles or so. :)

My 2x53' TPD came from a mod I've found on the workshop. Basically, it added pintle hooks to every box and chip van trailer and added all of the longer trailers to B-train configs, so you could have, say, a Super-B (28'+45') without any save editing.
[ external image ]
Skoot

#132 Post by Skoot » 26 Mar 2021 18:42

So here's a breakdown of the B-train parking process. I love how my Scot (8LL EF transmission with 3.70 rears) can creep at exactly 1 mph in superlow forward and low rear gears, btw. :P The main rules to keep in mind are:
  • Go as slow as possible (1-2 mph is where it's at)
    and
  • Don't turn the steering wheel too much. (If the angle between a truck and lead trailer or between the trailers exceeds 45 degrees, you're better off pulling forward and trying once again)
Now that you've read the basic stuff... LET'S GOOO

[ external image ]
So we start with this. I drive with "g_show_game_elements 0" for a couple of months now and I've figured out where some of the parking spots are located, so i had to draw the boundary by myself for more clarity. What you want to do when parking, though, is to set up either straight in front of the parking space or at an angle to it. The closer this angle is to 0, the better. This wasn't my best starting position anyway. :)

[ external image ]
Then you slightly nudge the lead trailer in the direction opposite to where you want to go so that the rear trailer starts turning the way you want it. As long as it goes straight into the parking space, you're good.

[ external image ]
Now that the rear trailer is firmly on its way to the end of the parking spot, start pushing the lead in line with it.

[ external image ]
Once you see that the trailers are lining up roughly where they're supposed to, straighten your truck.

[ external image ]
You'll likely end up with the whole thing not being exactly straight. This is cured by pulling ahead a couple of feet and backing it up in a straight line.

[ external image ]
Voila.

[ external image ]
Checking if the position is right. Ain't no rocket science, eh? ;) (I mean, Reignman already knows, but there are some other folks who have yet to experience this.)
Reignman

#133 Post by Reignman » 28 Mar 2021 01:33

Nice tutorial! Where were you when I was trying to figure this out months ago haha? Oh well, that can be part of the fun, trying to figure out what does and doesn't work.
Skoot wrote: 26 Mar 2021 18:42Don't turn the steering wheel too much. (If the angle between a truck and lead trailer or between the trailers exceeds 45 degrees, you're better off pulling forward and trying once again)
Yep the angle can get away from you quickly, so you gotta anticipate and stay ahead of it. Although I learned a neat trick with the b-triples that helps in tight spots, where you get the trailers and cab at 90 degree angles from each other. If you do it right, you can swing the other trailers into place without the lead trailer even moving, like a hinge. Works nicely with the b-double too.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
Skoot wrote: 26 Mar 2021 18:42What you want to do when parking, though, is to set up either straight in front of the parking space or at an angle to it. The closer this angle is to 0, the better. This wasn't my best starting position anyway.
And that angle will never even be close to 0 in this game lol. Just about every dock/yard is tight, so there are a lot of 90 degree parking, and blindside 90 degree parking. Keep in mind I've been playing on a crappy PC at 720p and 20 FPS, so when I'm looking at that passenger side mirror it's often difficult to see which pixel my rear tandems are, and I can't even see the green parking rectangle. This has made judging depth an issue, so I have to jump out of the cab to get my bearings sometimes.
Skoot wrote: 26 Mar 2021 18:42You'll likely end up with the whole thing not being exactly straight.
And that's when my OCD is triggered. Yeah if you knew me, it's gotta be perfectly straight AND centered. I'll be there all day trying to move it over an inch xD. Nothing more frustrating when that rear trailer is at a slight angle and everything else is straight.
Skoot wrote: 26 Mar 2021 18:42(I mean, Reignman already knows, but there are some other folks who have yet to experience this.)
Yeah people don't know what they're missing when it comes to parking these. You could say I got a little experience now. Checking my log quickly, I've done 350 b-double jobs, and 200 b-triple, and you get to park them twice for each job (pickup/delivery). I haven't gotten bored of them yet.
GT182

#134 Post by GT182 » 28 Mar 2021 02:19

B Doubles aren't so bad, and I'm glad you can do it Reignman in ATS. Practice works. ;) I've seen Canadian truckers running them back them up years ago... but only if they had too. But doubles with the dolly is a different story, and one I'd never try again in ATS. LOL Never pulled them IRL even tho I have the Double and Triple endorsement on my CDL.

If you can talk to a real life driver that runs regular doubles, find out what he does. The one thing I don't like about the dolly SCS uses is it isn't a tandem axle dolly. IRL the singles are for lite load short trailers. Double axle dollies are for the longer heavily loaded trailers so the can legally scale their loads.
SCS needs to fix that, just like they need to have sliding trailer axles in ATS. Or at least let us set them so they can be in the center of of the way they positioned now and fully back to the rear. Full forward is usually done in RL only if the trailer is empty. And doubles can only be run on certain highways... not every road there is out there. Triples only on Interstate highways.... at least that's the way it is East of the Mississippi from what I've seen. Here on the East Coast I've not seen a triple of any size on any highway.... not even on I-95. Nor the big 48 and 53 footers.
Gary - CB code name: CW
Formerly from Northern NY on the Ontario/Quebec borders.
I've hauled ass down the road to deliver new cars and trucks, fuel, freight, and produce. Now I'm addicted to ATS doing the same thing in a simulation. :roll:
Skoot

#135 Post by Skoot » 28 Mar 2021 13:57

Full forward is a lazy way of making a trailer California legal. :mrgreen: They will let you use only 2 or 3 holes or something like that to scale the tandem. Some states on the East Coast also have regulations for kingpin-to-center of the tandem or kingpin-to-center of the rearmost axle distance, but those are not as strict, if I recall correctly. BTW, are spread-axle flatbeds, for example, exempt from this? Or do different rules apply to the trailers with fixed axles?
Reignman

#136 Post by Reignman » 29 Mar 2021 21:25

What a coincidence, after updating to 1.41 (finally), I was going through the files to unlock all trailers for all states again. That way I can haul whatever to wherever. Otherwise I'd never get to California, Arizona, New Mexico, or Colorado.

In the trailer defs folder all I have to do is find these ...

Code: Select all

SiiNunit
{
trailer_def : trailer_def.scs.box.bdouble_2_2.dryvan
{
	gross_trailer_weight_limit: 40500
	chassis_mass: 9325.88
	body_mass: 0
	length: 19.5072
	axles: 4
	volume: 123.11
	body_type: dryvan
	chain_type: bdouble

country_validity[]: idaho
	country_validity[]: nevada
	country_validity[]: oregon
	country_validity[]: utah
	country_validity[]: washington

mass_ratio[]: 0.5
	mass_ratio[]: 0.5
}
}
Delete the country_validity lines, then pack them up into a zip file and put it in the mod folder. Regulations? I don't need no stinkin regulations haha. That reminds me, I need to change a few other things that get in the way of all my fun. AI traffic is a lot more fun when the cars only weigh 1 pound xD.
Skoot

#137 Post by Skoot » 30 Mar 2021 12:50

So here I am with a comprehensive answer.
Reignman wrote: 28 Mar 2021 01:33 Nice tutorial! Where were you when I was trying to figure this out months ago haha? Oh well, that can be part of the fun, trying to figure out what does and doesn't work.
Where was I when I tried to figure this stuff out by myself. :lol:
Although I learned a neat trick with the b-triples that helps in tight spots, where you get the trailers and cab at 90 degree angles from each other. If you do it right, you can swing the other trailers into place without the lead trailer even moving, like a hinge. Works nicely with the b-double too.
This must be some black magic. :geek:
And that angle will never even be close to 0 in this game lol. Just about every dock/yard is tight, so there are a lot of 90 degree parking, and blindside 90 degree parking.
Is Global Mills factory of Sterling, CO a joke to you? :P
[ external image ]
Still not sure why they wanted me to park my trailer against the fence. But then the warehouse in Ketchum that this load was bound to wanted me to do the same... a Bluetooth load, I believe?
This has made judging depth an issue, so I have to jump out of the cab to get my bearings sometimes.
I do that anytime I feel something's not quite right. You know, I'd rather look like a rookie to the super truckers and park my trailer safely than look cool while wrecking that tiny Toyota hiding in my blind spot.
And that's when my OCD is triggered. Yeah if you knew me, it's gotta be perfectly straight AND centered. I'll be there all day trying to move it over an inch xD. Nothing more frustrating when that rear trailer is at a slight angle and everything else is straight.
Yessir.
Yeah people don't know what they're missing when it comes to parking these. You could say I got a little experience now. Checking my log quickly, I've done 350 b-double jobs, and 200 b-triple, and you get to park them twice for each job (pickup/delivery). I haven't gotten bored of them yet.
Well that's... impressive.

Have you tried a 53' trailer with its tandem at the very rear? There are some spots that are easier to hit with a B-double that with the said 53'-er. :shock:
Reignman wrote: 29 Mar 2021 21:25 What a coincidence, after updating to 1.41 (finally), I was going through the files to unlock all trailers for all states again. That way I can haul whatever to wherever. Otherwise I'd never get to California, Arizona, New Mexico, or Colorado.

In the trailer defs folder all I have to do is find these ...

Delete the country_validity lines, then pack them up into a zip file and put it in the mod folder. Regulations? I don't need no stinkin regulations haha. That reminds me, I need to change a few other things that get in the way of all my fun. AI traffic is a lot more fun when the cars only weigh 1 pound xD.
Yeah, been there, done that. I like pulling double trailers in ETS2, but I can't drive with them to the countries I like the most so far (which are France, Italy and Romania/Bulgaria), Scandinavia is not all that fancy for me, and Germany wasn't pretty back then too, so I dug into my savegame file several times. My friend was kinda impressed when we went trucking together.

I typically abide by the rules in ATS though. It's the closest I can get to trucking in America (=living a dream) while being 17 and living in Eastern Europe. :P
ScaniaKing326

#138 Post by ScaniaKing326 » 30 Mar 2021 12:53

yes you can but well its not easy and you need lot od patience
Steam https://steamcommunity.com/id/scaniaking326
World Of Trucks https://www.worldoftrucks.com/en/profile/1558213
Acer Nitro 5 (ANS 515-51) Logitech G29 with Shifter
Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS
Owner and founder of King Trans Group
Reignman

#139 Post by Reignman » 01 Apr 2021 00:07

Skoot wrote: 30 Mar 2021 12:50This must be some black magic. :geek:
It almost is when you think about it. Once you get that back trailer where you want it, you can start adjusting the other 2 trailers without messing up the back trailer. Until the very end when that back trailer is an inch too far left or right haha.
Skoot wrote: 30 Mar 2021 12:50Is Global Mills factory of Sterling, CO a joke to you? :P
Oh wow, yeah you don't get too many of those easy spots. There's actually a spot I had just recently that was a little disappointing at a Walberts in Colorado. I might have been hauling my sliding tarp b-double, but they wanted it along side the building so all you had to do was drive to the end of the lot and turn around to drive straight into it. And now that I think about it, the Sell Goods in Denver had a spot like that too. I didn't drive 500 miles to park my trailer in easy mode.
Skoot wrote: 30 Mar 2021 12:50Still not sure why they wanted me to park my trailer against the fence. But then the warehouse in Ketchum that this load was bound to wanted me to do the same... a Bluetooth load, I believe?
Yeah going to be tough to unload it against a fence haha. All the docks were full so I guess they plan to move it themselves later. They can get that dock jockey from Sell Goods who loves to partially block the main receiving stall with his truck.
Skoot wrote: 30 Mar 2021 12:50Have you tried a 53' trailer with its tandem at the very rear? There are some spots that are easier to hit with a B-double that with the said 53'-er. :shock:
Challenge accepted! Yeah wow, I haven't tried that in a long time. That was the first configuration I used when I started playing this game because I thought trailers looked better with the tandems back lol. That practice ended after my first trip to an Eddy's though xD. I'll try it again now that I have a little more experience.
Skoot wrote: 30 Mar 2021 12:50I typically abide by the rules in ATS though. It's the closest I can get to trucking in America (=living a dream) while being 17 and living in Eastern Europe. :P
I follow most of the rules. The ones that don't get in the way of all the fun anyway. I mean what's special about California or Arizona that you can't haul b-doubles? They're mostly flat with a lot of straight roads. But then they're allowed in Idaho which has nothing but twisted roads with steep grades? Speaking of Idaho, what's the point of that road between Ketchum and Sterling (I think) where commercial trucking is prohibited? It's the only road between the 2 towns without going 200 miles out of your way xD. Then they tell you you gotta turn around. Turnaround where? The ditch? Ummm yeah, I'll just pay the $25 fine or whatever it is.

Oh and when you're hauling a b-triple or heavy load, it makes more economic sense to skip the weigh station and pay the $700 fine then to actually stop lol. The time it takes to get back up to highway speed, and the fuel you waste. Yeah, not worth it to save $700. Besides, you have an 80% chance that an AI car is going to hit you when you try to merge back onto the highway, which will cost you $900 ... or you're going to get a speeding ticket if you go faster than 15 MPH. Yeah that's not cool getting a speeding ticket going 25 in a 15 when you only have 200 feet to get up to highway speed.
Reignman

#140 Post by Reignman » 01 Apr 2021 00:09

ScaniaKing326 wrote: 30 Mar 2021 12:53yes you can but well its not easy and you need lot od patience
We're going to need to see some evidence. :D

Return to “Gameplay Questions”