Parking Doubles - Is it Possible?

ScaniaKing326

Re: Parking Doubles - Is it Possible?

#141 Post by ScaniaKing326 » 05 Apr 2021 07:50

Reignman wrote: 01 Apr 2021 00:09
ScaniaKing326 wrote: 30 Mar 2021 12:53yes you can but well its not easy and you need lot od patience
We're going to need to see some evidence. :D
Dont worry i will post a video but currently my mod that allowed me to park double like normal trailer is broken after i fix it i will show you how i park doubles
Steam https://steamcommunity.com/id/scaniaking326
World Of Trucks https://www.worldoftrucks.com/en/profile/1558213
Acer Nitro 5 (ANS 515-51) Logitech G29 with Shifter
Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS
Owner and founder of King Trans Group
Reignman

#142 Post by Reignman » 12 Apr 2021 01:08

Alright, I finally have a decent enough rig to capture some video. It's only a GTX 750 (with a 5600x), so maybe not the best quality, but light years ahead of anything my core2 quad/9800GT could to do haha. I have a 1650 Super coming soon. Can't wait! With dreams of having a 3060ti someday.

The machine upgrade finally allowed me to get ATS upgraded past 1.36 too (1.40.1), so I'm finally getting my first taste of Idaho and Colorado. I wanted to record my first trip to Colorado (from Moab) and it ended with a perfect b-double parking at the end. (skip to 6:40 to see the parking)
Yes I play with the keyboard, so sorry for the jerky steering lol.
Skoot

#143 Post by Skoot » 12 Apr 2021 10:38

Well, congrats. ;) I've gotta stick with i3-6006 and 940M for a while.

The video is great, and your parking job is spotless! Personally I prefer to not look out of the window unless it's in the city or some company yard and said window is rolled down, but you can pretend it's footage from a camera mounted on a mirror arm, and it'd be fine.
Reignman

#144 Post by Reignman » 13 Apr 2021 23:19

I've never heard of an 940M, but I guess that means you're playing on a laptop then. Apparently it isn't much worse than a GTX 750. Try playing ATS on a 9800GT (17 FPS at 720p) lol. Which is what I did for about 2 years, hence all the screenshots instead of video. 1650 Super arrives tomorrow, so I'm moving on up. I have a few more parking videos to post, but with my 3 Mbps upload speed, it takes forever, so I have to do it later. I just had the perfect parking job to illustrate my 90 degree technique, but ofc I wasn't recording.

What's wrong with looking out the window? I prefer it because even with the better GPU and higher resolution monitor, I get a headache quickly when I have to squint into those tiny mirrors. Plus I can no longer see the new parking rectangle, which used to be bright white, but is now a dull grey that blends into the pavement, especially in the sunlight. It's alright if the lot itself has some markings I can lineup with.

For recording purposes, I'll park from 3rd person view sometimes because it just looks better. I park all b-triples and turnpikes from 3rd person anyway, for medical reasons lol. Cuz yeah, I get migraines quickly if I'm squinting at those mirrors too long, and those type of trailers require a lot more squinting than b-doubles. Maybe it'll be easier on my eyes when I get the 1650 Super.

Speaking of turnpike double ... here are a couple other park jobs I didn't bother recording because I didn't think I'd be able to pull them off in a reasonable amount of time, if at all, but I managed.

This one at the Drake Dealership, which is pretty cramped.

[ external image ]

And the new Voltison prefab, which I didn't think had enough forward space for me to work with ... which it didn't, but I gave it the ol college try anyway.

[ external image ]

I got a nice turnpike food tanker on video that I'll post later.
Reignman

#145 Post by Reignman » 14 Apr 2021 06:57

Alright finally got that turnpike double uploaded. The Pete 389 is the wrong truck for parking these kind of trailers. The turn radius is awful. I'm not at 100k miles though, so I can't switch yet. I prefer to have something a little more compact and maneuverable for these trailers.

And a bonus b-triple for the fun of it. 90 degree hinge maneuver bailed me out at about 4:20 xD.
And what's the deal with chrome parts looking flat grey in the sunlight? I don't get it. The tanker almost looks white when it should be all shinny. They're more shinny in the shade or as it gets darker.
Skoot

#146 Post by Skoot » 14 Apr 2021 17:27

940M ain't that bad anyway, I've managed to find a compromise between eyecandy and reasonable FPS, and I can't afford a replacement for my laptop, so... yeah.

Since the time when "g_show_game_elements 0" started hiding those transparent arrows and crosses that block off parts of the in-game world I park without the rectangles altogether. Not that it's a big issue now that I'm pulling a reefer and bumping docks at least once on every load. 8-)

I also look out of the window whenever I'm backing up for exactly the same reasons (plus mirrors on my Scot are kinda useless for backing up). The point was that you used a lean-out camera when driving in your video. ;)
Reignman

#147 Post by Reignman » 15 Apr 2021 07:06

Skoot wrote: 14 Apr 2021 17:27The point was that you used a lean-out camera when driving in your video. ;)
You like my lean-out camera do ya haha? I modified the default lean-out camera so I lean out just a little bit further than normal xD. I just like to make things easier, visually. Yeah that's what we'll go with. Whatever keeps the migraines to a minimum.

But the 1650 Super has arrived, and holy moly, talk about making things visually easier. Maybe I'll be using the mirrors a little more often now. Heck, after turning up the reflection detail, I realized I can also use the chrome air filters as mirrors too lol.

I never knew this game had such detail. I cranked all the settings to max and I'm still getting a great frame rate. Finally the chrome is shinny instead of a dull grey. I'll have to record a video later to show the difference.
Grizzly

#148 Post by Grizzly » 15 Apr 2021 07:33

Yeah the chrome air filters let you see through your truck :lol:
Reignman

#149 Post by Reignman » 15 Apr 2021 21:06

Look at the video above, and then look how the chrome looks now with reflection detailed cranked up.

[ external image ]

Or a side by side of my truck.

[ external image ]

Oh and as long as I'm here, a tight b-double parking, with a nice 90 degree hinge utilization at the 2:20 mark.
Reignman

#150 Post by Reignman » 18 Apr 2021 08:18

Skoot wrote: 12 Apr 2021 10:38Personally I prefer to not look out of the window unless it's in the city or some company yard and said window is rolled down
Alright, you asked for it lol. An in-cab parking of a b-triple AND no looking out the window. I almost gave up at one point, because yeah that's hard on the eyes, but I stuck with it. Didn't help that I kept getting mixed up which direction I had to turn the wheel xD. I'm surprised it only took 15 minutes. When I first started parking b-doubles it would take me 30 minutes outside the cab.
I don't try too many b-triples inside the cab because until recently, I was on 720p and getting 17 FPS which made it almost impossible to see the rear trailer in the mirrors (hence the migraines), and 2) even now at 1080p, 90 FPS, 400% scaling, and highest mirror resolution possible, it's still difficult to see what's going on with that rear trailer in relation to the parking spot, as you can see in the video, even when I zoomed in a few times. I like to punish challenge myself though, so I'm sure I'll try it again. I think I'll wait until I'm in a more maneuverable truck however, because like I mentioned before, this Peterbilt is painful with these trailers. Let me use my K100E, I could probably park a quad at Eddy's with that nimble piece of machinery. :D

Return to “Gameplay Questions”