What have I got to do to make it stop raining?

badken

What have I got to do to make it stop raining?

#1 Post by badken » 06 May 2020 02:30

As you can see, the rain probability is minimal - in the config file, 0.001. Yet, pretty much every game day, sometimes more than once in a game day, it rains. The USA is not a tropical rainforest. How can I make this stop?

I have noticed that often it starts raining just as I load a save game. Have I run into some kind of bug?

akima

Re: What have I got to do to make it stop raining?

#2 Post by akima » 06 May 2020 08:35

If the slider is all the way to the left and you can reproduce this without mods, then that sounds like a bug to me.

room217au

#3 Post by room217au » 06 May 2020 20:35

Ever since release of 1.36 I have noticed that it rains at the start of play every time I run the game when the truck is at a garage, or upgrade shop. I have no map/weather mods. Never have.
The Rain Probability slider is uset g_bad_weather_factor "0.03"
Because of the similarities between ETS2 and ATS - in game code - maybe the same weather 'properties' of Europe apply in America in-game. It shouldn't be that way.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts.. do.

akima

#4 Post by akima » 07 May 2020 07:00

@room217au : "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts.. do."

I like that :P

Reinhard

#5 Post by Reinhard » 07 May 2020 08:31

I can't reproduce this. If I push the slider to the left, the value in the config will be set to "0". ATS 1.37.1.4.

badken

#6 Post by badken » 07 May 2020 09:44

It isn't all the way to the left. That's not the point. I edited the config file to set g_bad_weather_factor to 0.001. The slider is as low as it can go without being all the way left.

With the value set to 0.001, it rains every game day while I'm driving. Sometimes more than once per game day. It also rains fairly frequently when loading save files. Enough that I notice it raining more when I load a save. My assumption is that with a value of 0.001 it would rain very infrequently.

It's not only happening at garages and upgrade shops, but that's a reasonable assumption, since those are locations where I frequently save, also.

I don't want it to *never* rain, but I also don't want it raining every game day. I guess the thread subject is misleading. I'd edit it if I could.

akima

#7 Post by akima » 07 May 2020 10:41

If I were you I'd try moving the slider all the way to the left and the slightly nudging it a tiny amount to the right and then re-check the rain frequency in game.

I'm suggesting this, because editing the config file isn't the way users are supposed to set config values. Their may be things the devs haven't accounted for / tested for, when manual config edits are performed. For example: I haven't checked this, but the value 0.0001 may be an invalid float (perhaps too much precision). This could cause the game to reject the value and resort to a default value.

Reinhard

#8 Post by Reinhard » 07 May 2020 11:06

No, he claims that a minimal value has a too drastic effect. I misunderstood him, too.

I haven't played with 1.37, by now. With 1.36 and before, I used "g_bad_weather_factor "0.06". I haven't changed the value since years. Rain was rare. Much less than described.

And I know any single bit of my mods, what's in it. Nothing related to weather.

Edit: Forgot to mention that this is with ETS 2. But I guess the logic is the same. I would even expect less rain in some regions of the ATS map.

joschac2

#9 Post by joschac2 » 07 May 2020 15:55

where do you drive?

If you drive in OR or Wa, it tends to rain every other day. But in CA,Nv,AZ,MN don.t rain that much

badken

#10 Post by badken » 08 May 2020 19:27

I drive in every state. It rains every game day, at least once. Regardless, if the rain chance is set so low, it shouldn't rain every day. In fact, I would expect even if the rain chance is maxed out it shouldn't rain every day. I lived in Seattle for a couple years - it doesn't rain there every day.

Following akima's suggestion, I set the rain chance to zero, verified it was zero in the config file, then moved it up one click with the controller. That changed it to 0.01, which I think everyone would agree means that it should rain very rarely. Not every day. Even in the Pacific Northwest. We'll see what happens with the slider set there.

Return to “Gameplay Questions”