Mack Anthem the worst stock vehicle to drive?

Flir

Mack Anthem the worst stock vehicle to drive?

#1 Post by Flir » 24 Jun 2020 09:46

I have driven one of these trucks for nearly 100k miles IRL...and the virtual version in game is nowhere near close to accurate. Sure, the gauges and the dash have the same settings and positions. But where are the mirrors???? The Mack Anthem was the absolute best visibility truck that I have ever driven on the road..I could sit comfortably in my seat, and clearly see my dash, my left side mirrors, and both of my hood mirrors IRL. In game, I have to put the seat all the way back, and push the POV so far out, that the dash is unreadable in order to see the left mirrors. It's completely un-drivable in this state. And I am running @ 1440P with every single game setting at max. Did you guys even get the opportunity to sit inside one of these before designing it for the game? It's made me so upset that I've significantly reduced my play time. It was one of the things that made me most excited about ATS, and it's completely useless and unplayable in it's current state...makes me very sad.
Seelenkrank

Re: Mack Anthem the worst stock vehicle to drive?

#2 Post by Seelenkrank » 24 Jun 2020 13:05

+1

normaly i set the seat back etc but here i need to run standard settings because i did not see anything or it looks weird when i turn my head with trackIR.
even now its weird when the left mirror double its size while looking left if there is traffic coming.
pigbrother

#3 Post by pigbrother » 24 Jun 2020 13:17

Human eyes have a very big field of view: around 200 degrees horizontal vision and around 120 horizontal binocular vision. This is the limitation of the way we display things on standard aspect ratios like 16:9. You can try a wider 21:9 monitor or a dual monitor setup.

Yes, Anthem is annoying to drive, but the truck is made after the official CAD drawings and is not a problem of accurate depiction in game.
I have approximate knowledge of many things
Roadkill

#4 Post by Roadkill » 24 Jun 2020 14:44

@Flir @Seelenkrank You may want to try this Steam app fix for mirror position. There's one for the Lonestar also. I couldn't get used to the SCS mirror either. Doesn't matter to me if it came from the cad drawing or not. It is just in the wrong position to be useful. I know alot of people that won't drive either the Anthem or the Lonestar because of the mirror. What a waste of NEW trucks.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2078074306
---- Rockies Back. This time HE'S at the wheel. Look out stoopid hoomans.
Seelenkrank

#5 Post by Seelenkrank » 24 Jun 2020 15:54

i got the front hood mirrors on the truck now so i dont need to look to often in the normal mirrors ;)
i did 200000mi in the Lonestar and the proportions are better in my opinion (or after some miles im getting used to it maybe...
i will drive the Mack now until 100k or 200k and then switch again.
i think i need to test it in VR because there it should be 1:1 like in reality (but VR is not good now...)
flight50

#6 Post by flight50 » 03 Jul 2020 17:06

You guys can't compare real life to video game limitations. Its not a 1:1 comparison.
55sixxx

#7 Post by 55sixxx » 03 Jul 2020 19:00

I really don't know why people are complaining so much about the Anthem (And the Lonestar)... so what that the mirrors are a bit far away from the your pov ?? That's why we have hood mirrors, and if you still have difficulties seeing through them, just move the camera to left. This "problem".. i guess i can't even call it a problem, it's nothing that breaks the game and makes it impossible to play... and if we had the mirrors closer to the pillars so we could see them without having to move the camera (Like European trucks have), it would look very weird.

(Plus: Since the mirrors of my anthem are out of my main POV, my FPS increases a bit.. and that's a plus for me since my PC is from the mid 2000's.)

Also, the in-game truck was made out of the official CAD files, so there's no point on saying it's not realistic. And like pigbrother said, your pov in-game is limited... that's why you can't see them.
Anna K

#8 Post by Anna K » 03 Jul 2020 19:13

I don't see the problem with the Mack, I've been enjoying it ever since it released in the game. I use the hood mirrors most of the time so I've no problems with not seeing what's behind/next to me.
In fact I like it so much, it'll be the one I'm gonna try reaching a million miles with!

I guess it's just an acquired taste - on my platter it's much welcomed.
🇱🇮
abasstreppas

#9 Post by abasstreppas » 03 Jul 2020 21:27

It's the best ATS truck so far. In the beginning I used the hood mirrors too because of the wide position of the side mirror, but now I only use the side mirrors. I use the mouse for steering and it's quite simple to turn the head to look in the mirrors that way. It took some time to get used to the wide placement of the side mirrors though
Driver080

#10 Post by Driver080 » 04 Jul 2020 02:16

SCS has placed the mirrors exactly where they need to be. IRL thats where the mirrors are. Truck mirrors cause large blind spots which hide cars and pedestrians at intersections etc. Manufacturers are aware of this and have built trucks with mirrors in better positions. The Benz which has mirrors as screens in the A pillars is a good example of this and will probably be the future for some trucks. The limitation is in your FOV. A PC screen can't recreate the POV of the human eye. As mentioned above, there is a mod which fixes this issue for both the Mack and the Inter

Is the placement of the mirror really enough to say "worst truck ever"?
Is it too much to ask to have the vanilla SCS companies on the AI truck traffic???

What is the point of choosing a company name and logo when it's not used in the game???

In 20 years of trucking IRL I've never reversed a tanker onto a dock

Return to “Gameplay Questions”