Is there an optimum job length

Rodders 61

Is there an optimum job length

#1 Post by Rodders 61 » 03 Feb 2021 11:14

Hi All,
i've been playing ATS for a month or so now and really like it.
i just want to ask a question which i hope is not stupid. Is there a job length setting that works for the best of both worlds. ie, money and visiting the most places. I have it on maximum at the moment which is good for earning but i'm missing out on visiting a lot of places.
Any thoughts,
Thanks,
Rodders.
Acer i5 9400F dual core @2.9hz with GTX 1650 graphics card and 40gb RAM
Madkine
Global moderator

Re: Is there an optimum job length

#2 Post by Madkine » 03 Feb 2021 11:43

The slider causes more of certain length jobs to appear, but doesn't prevent shorter/longer ones from appearing.

An ideal job length is what ever length you feel suits your needs at the time. For me for example at the moment any job that finishes in Salt Lake City or at Denver Airport is the correct length as I'm trying to finish off the achievements related to those.
WoT Profile
ATS Workshop

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Rodders 61

#4 Post by Rodders 61 » 04 Feb 2021 10:13

Thanks guys for the help,
Cheers,
Rodders
erdnay

#5 Post by erdnay » 12 Feb 2021 23:28

I like to leave the garage, pick up the load and drive not more than four hours. Then run light back to the garage if I can't find a load in the general direction. You get back to the garage about the time the guy starts yawning.

I like the garages with a Kenworth truck dealership nearby (I drive a Kenworth), so after my trip, I will rest, top off the tank and service the truck.

For longer jobs, I have garages scattered about every six hours apart. I paid cash for all but just a few. No hires, just me. I drive cheapest stock Kenworth truck, although I did upgrade the engine and transmission so I could pull most heavy jobs.

I have trailers situated at all garages, but seldom use them.
HammerlaneHippie

#6 Post by HammerlaneHippie » 22 Feb 2021 14:48

I'm a Disabled Vet so I have lots of time so I generally run long haul because they pay the most. (I have Fatigue turned off) Also, I own every garage on the map so I can be "at home" almost anywhere.
The bigger they are, the harder they haul!
Laqueesha

#7 Post by Laqueesha » 26 Feb 2021 03:16

I just pick a job that uses up the most daylight hours, since I like day driving.
nater6540

#8 Post by nater6540 » 22 Oct 2021 16:13

erdnay wrote: 12 Feb 2021 23:28 I like to leave the garage, pick up the load and drive not more than four hours. Then run light back to the garage if I can't find a load in the general direction. You get back to the garage about the time the guy starts yawning.

I like the garages with a Kenworth truck dealership nearby (I drive a Kenworth), so after my trip, I will rest, top off the tank and service the truck.

For longer jobs, I have garages scattered about every six hours apart. I paid cash for all but just a few. No hires, just me. I drive cheapest stock Kenworth truck, although I did upgrade the engine and transmission so I could pull most heavy jobs.

I have trailers situated at all garages, but seldom use them.
That’s why I like starting in Bakersfield, there’s a Peterbilt dealership nearby, and, ironically, on a more personal note, I was actually originally born in Bakersfield before having to be life-flighted to Orange County 144 miles away because the hospital in Bakersfield apparently either had insufficient equipment and inadequate facilities or none at all for handling preemie babies like myself (I was born prematurely at 26 weeks because my mom had issues giving birth to me from complications caused by using a sperm donor because her ex-husband at the time when I was born in 2001 had a vasectomy.)
VTXcnME

#9 Post by VTXcnME » 24 Oct 2021 12:32

I don't think there's an optimum job length (pay vs. time), at least not that I've found in over 600 hours of game play.

For me, I own all the garages. I run it like my own trucking company (every truck even has my own paint job). I employ about 150 drivers with their own trucks.

I look at what loads are available, what I feel like hauling, and where I feel like driving. Some days it's the southwest, other times it's wyoming/idaho area. Some days I don't leave the pacific northwest. Some days the loads are short as I only have an hour or so of downtime, other days I'll take a 1,700 mile (or however long) trip from Hobbs,NM to Bellevue,WA.
Rodders 61

#10 Post by Rodders 61 » 19 Dec 2021 12:03

Thanks guys for all the info. It's helpful,
Cheers,
Rodders.

Return to “Gameplay Questions”