Traffic lights.

HammerlaneHippie

Traffic lights.

#1 Post by HammerlaneHippie » 16 Sep 2021 05:17

I have mentioned this before but apparently no one has noticed it.

The traffic lights change too much quickly! Now there is one in Rock Springs, WY that barely stays green for 15 seconds! I had to stop three times in less than five hundred feet.

As an ex real life OTR trucker I can tell you that one of the things that really makes truckers mad is traffic lights! We're driving Macks, not Maseratis, Peterbilts, not Porsches. It takes time to get a loaded truck through a traffic light and truckers hate to keep stopping and working their way back up through all those gears because of traffic lights.

If SCS is going to insist on realism, (i.e. real life truck physics), then the traffic lights MUST be set to REAL WORLD TIME regardless of sim time.

I love this game! Everything in it is as real as it can get except the traffic lights.

I'm not a programmer, (I'm an ex trucker/Jack-of-all-Trades/Disabled veteran), but it seems to me that it should be a simple thing to set this one element of the game to real time. If it cannot be done I would appreciate it is someone would please explain to me, in simple terms, why not.
The bigger they are, the harder they haul!
Avelium

Re: Traffic lights.

#2 Post by Avelium » 16 Sep 2021 20:34

There is mod that extands traffic lights time:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2164516577

Don't know how close or far it is from reality, but still better than vanilla game, for sure.
Better Flares - ATS/ETS2
Better Raindrops - ATS/ETS2
rock1966

#3 Post by rock1966 » 18 Sep 2021 12:38

There is a lot more wrong with ATS than just the lights. The topography of the roads are completely inaccurate when compared with the actual roads in the real world.
VTXcnME

#4 Post by VTXcnME » 24 Oct 2021 12:49

Rock... you gotta move on bud.

At 1:20 scale, the roads are not going to be 100% accurate. That's physically impossible. And it's also impossible to have more uphill than downhill. But, after reading the last two threads you created on the topic... I doubt anyone is gonna convince you otherwise.

As far as the traffic lights go, I installed the above listed steam mod and it almost went the other way. Lights cycle MUCH slower. Good if it's in your favor. But I found myself sitting for upwards of 4 or 5 minutes (irl). I removed it.
rookie31st

#5 Post by rookie31st » 24 Oct 2021 19:56

Traffic lights do need some adjustment, but the most critical issue I think is red left turn arrows not lights cycle. Left-turn arrow was introduced as a response to complains about hardships turning left on many busy intersections. The problem is that SCS added not only a green arrow for a protected left turn, but also a red arrow preventing a turn when clear. Red arrows don't accompany green arrows everywhere. We have way too many arrows now, especially too many red ones.
Have a mature suggestion to improve American Truck Simulator? Fahgettaboudit!
Frayner

#6 Post by Frayner » 25 Oct 2021 00:59

Pretty much every almost every spot they have a protected arrow for turning, they should so have them flashing yellow so you can proceed when clear.
Intel i9 13900K, 32 GB RAM, MSI RTX™ 4090 SUPRIM LIQUID X 24G, Bigscreen Beyond
HagenXXV

#7 Post by HagenXXV » 25 Oct 2021 04:38

I have had the same inconformity that you comment. The traffic light issue has already been discussed several times, it will be a while before they adjust it from SCS, I recommend 1000% this mod, it increases the traffic slightly and the times of each traffic light are very similar to real life:

https://truckymods.io/american-truck-si ... er-traffic

Return to “Gameplay Questions”