Mods crashing

Forum rules
SCS as a company do not wish to have paid mods on this forum. While we understand that not all paid mods use the Intellectual Property of other companies/people, it is very hard to moderate what is and isn't acceptable when money is involved. There are also concerns that it could look unfavorable to potential work partners going forward if SCS allow mods that may potentially use unlicensed branding.
Posting in the Mods forum (ATS and ETS2) is restricted to sharing free-to-the-public mods and providing support for mods. For more details, please check chapters [4] and [5] of Forum Rules.
Ashlawless

Mods crashing

#1 Post by Ashlawless » 30 Aug 2020 03:12

Is there a way to quickly and efficiently Test which mods are causing Game Crashes? removing them 1 at a time is a painful process

Flemming V
Global moderator

Re: Mods crashing

#2 Post by Flemming V » 30 Aug 2020 11:42

You can start a new profile and try adding 1 on another for each test. (Basic the same as remove them, but if 2 mods are a problem, removing will not reveal a faulty mod)
Or even better, you can read in you log file which mod, that could have a problem.

PBandJ

#3 Post by PBandJ » 30 Aug 2020 12:11

This isn't my idea, it was past on to me from another person. I created a new profile and called it Vanilla (name it whatever you like lol) I ran this profile up to level 25 still with no mods ever installed on this profile. I then backup the profile elsewhere. Now I use this profile as a testing profile for any mod I am in interested in trying out. I install the mod, see how it runs, see if any errors or warnings in the console and go from there. If this was a truck mod I was trying out and have decided to keep it to drive, I then go through the process of renaming the Vanilla profile to the truck mod name so I know what is in this profile. I then add paintjobs for this truck, trailer mods, traffic mod, or any other non-truck mod I like to use to this profile. Since I renamed the Vanilla profile, I then reupload the backed up Vanilla profile which is ready to test the next mod. At times I drive the vanilla profile just to keep raising the level up higher. Some modders have set higher levels then 25 for some of their accessories. If it is a mod that is not a truck, but lets say a paintjob, I would then try that particular paintjob mod on the truck profile it is created for. I only run one truck mod per profile right now. So far it has kept me away from any mod conflicts doing it this way. If I find a mod that has warnings and errors, I first look for an updated version of the mod from the author and if none available I attempt to find out what is causing the error and warning messages and correct them if I can. If I can't correct them (lets say a blender issue, which I do not know how to use yet) I will remove the mod from the game until an update is available. I do not leave unused mods in the mod folder, have read where others have had issues with non-active mods interfering with active mods still. So I don't take that chance. As Flemming V states you can get a lot of information from the game log file as to mod issue, errors and warnings. So far this is the best way I have come across to safely test a mod and not mess up my game with a mod that has issues.

The Old Fart

#4 Post by The Old Fart » 30 Aug 2020 14:13

@Ashlawless, Yes, if you are running a lot of mods it is a complete pain to identify which one of them is causing issues. As Flemming V said, it's usually better to add mods to a new profile than to remove them, not only because it is often more than 1 mod causing errors but also because some mods - even when removed - contain data which is persistent in your profile; even when they are disabled/removed. Because of this, removing mods can often be unhelpful in finding errors.

Also, as Flemming V noted, the game.log.txt file is your main tool in identifying mod errors and tracking them down. If you're going to read a game.log.txt, start at the bottom and work your way up - if you start at the top you'll be scrolling a long time until you get to the errors and warnings. Ideally, search the file for 'error' and see what shows up - it often points directly to the offending mod. If it doesn't you can always post your game.log.txt and ask for help here on the forum.

I won't even run a mod unless I first test it on a clean profile to see if it throws errors.
Old Fart Trucking - I haul ass, and everything else!

plykkegaard

#5 Post by plykkegaard » 30 Aug 2020 14:22

Ashlawless wrote:
30 Aug 2020 03:12
Is there a way to quickly and efficiently Test which mods are causing Game Crashes?
As a start if are using plugins, check which and if they are ready for 1.38
Some users have reported crashes wiith telemetry plugins enabled
Office moved to Fort Collins, Colorado

ponstan

#6 Post by ponstan » 29 Sep 2020 10:02

Hi guys
I have been following this tactic for a long time, that is, a profile where I test the new mods. Having loaded a truck mod and having made so far several deliveries with it, suddenly images of the instruments on the dashboard appear to be doubled. Nothing has changed in the mod load order and no new ones have been added.The ATS version is 1.38 as well as the mod.I took a look at txt.log and saw no error. I will look more extensively, of course, but isn't it strange??? :roll: :?
I'm afraid of what you can do in the name of your God

The Old Fart

#7 Post by The Old Fart » 29 Sep 2020 13:07

Are you using workshop mods? Even if you changed nothing, it is possible that a workshop mod was updated and is now causing a conflict.

If you have other truck mods enabled then try disabling them one at a time until the error goes away. Sell any of those trucks before you disable the mod or you'll have bigger issues.
Old Fart Trucking - I haul ass, and everything else!

ponstan

#8 Post by ponstan » 01 Oct 2020 10:21

The Old Fart wrote:
29 Sep 2020 13:07
Are you using workshop mods? Even if you changed nothing, it is possible that a workshop mod was updated and is now causing a conflict.

If you have other truck mods enabled then try disabling them one at a time until the error goes away. Sell any of those trucks before you disable the mod or you'll have bigger issues.
Hi Thanks for quick reply. I'm now loading mods one by one and watch :)
I'm afraid of what you can do in the name of your God

Return to “Mods”