Although SCS did replace the lighting engine in the game as of 1.4, there are literally years of good and popular suggestions in this topic that just aren't being implemented. And it's probably because of simple economics: SCS appears to make money on adding states, and not by adding any major functionality to improve the game engine itself. There are some very obvious things left out of this simulation such as pre-trip walkarounds and connecting your trailers yourself.
The items in this list describe some generalities that demonstrate the spirit of functions to be added. Specifics regarding logistics and details (EG: How much time to change a wheel, weights vs. scales) can be determined if SCS decides to implement. The idea is also that some of these can be turned off/on in Settings, in case you didn't want to deal with scales or a harder economy. Again, logistics later, let's gather interest first and try to sell this to SCS as something worthwhile for them to invest development time in.
Also note that mods cannot work for most if not all of the below, since we're talking base game functionality and the game isn't open-source.
SCS is a business, and they're not likely to do anything like this - and most other suggestions in this forum - unless they can monetize it. (Make money on it). That's why they stick to states, which they can sell at $12.99USD a piece.
The purpose of this is to perhaps let SCS know that we may actually pay for them to implement these changes. This list should be far less involved than adding a new state, and they should be able to sell enough of these add-ons to make money over and above the development cost.
American Truck Simulator Enhanced Simulation Experience Add-On Items
- Ability to walk around truck anywhere - not just in the truck upgrade shop.
- Pre-Trip checks: Ability to perform walk-around and perform some basic safety checks.
- Ability to get out and connect/disconnect your own trailer lines, raise/lower landing gear. (And if you don't you can't leave).
- Breaking down doubles, multi-drops with doubles.
- Ability to slide fifth wheel and trailer axels. You need to be able to properly balance your load, because..
- ...Get fined at the scales (which should now check). 12,000 Steer, 34,000 Drive, 34,000 Tandems. (Verify and match DOT limits).
- Cannot rest in day cabs. Only local loads should be presented if that's your truck. Or failing that, can only rest at motels.
- In order to rest, you must move to your sleeper bed. Nothing fancy, just simulate a camera movement where you get up, move to and sit down on the bed facing forward.
- Option to have tires occasionally blow out if you let them wear >50%, requiring roadside assistance and 3-hour (in-game) wait. (And doesn't end your delivery).
- Ability to specify (slide-bar) how many hours to rest. In reality it's not a straight 12 on 10 off as it can be broken up. Make it compliant with US DOT requirements.
- Change the green check-in square to a rectangle across the whole driveway entrance, so you can actually line your truck up properly when turning into the yard as to not hit your trailer.
- Slow down the economics. Say, half the pay it is now. That's still higher than reality however this is still a game and you don't want to take 5 real years to pay off a truck. You also shouldn't max out the game in a month either.